Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FPL Wildcard Thread 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Benimar wrote: »
    He’s a starter, at least until Henderson returns.

I would say there's a small chance that Ben Davies is giving a go at Phillips' expense. Phillips was pretty poor for 2 of Madrid's goals midweek.

Overall he's been steady enough and should be capable against lower level PL opposition but i wouldn't quite say he's 100% nailed. Small chance Davies is given a chance

Forster/Schmeichal rotate lovely

Yeah they do, I've gone for this over the more popular Forster/Mendy pairing.

Schmeichel is 0.2 more than Mendy, but Rudiger is 0.3 less than Fofana. Basically couldn't find any Leicester defenders that I thought were value, but I do want more Leicester players than just Ihenacho. 5.0 is a bit much for just clean sheet potential at Leicester imo, and Castagne at 5.7 hasn't had an attacking return since GW3 so doesn't really justify that premium.

Prefer Rudiger at 4.7 and Alonso at 5.7 to any of the Leicester options so happy enough to pay the extra bit for Schmeichel in goals. It's also is a combo that basically takes you to end of season with one of your keepers having a good fixture, so gets the best out of Forster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Morzadec wrote: »
    I would say there's a small chance that Ben Davies is giving a go at Phillips' expense. Phillips was pretty poor for 2 of Madrid's goals midweek.

Overall he's been steady enough and should be capable against lower level PL opposition but i wouldn't quite say he's 100% nailed. Small chance Davies is given a chance

Davies has barely been seen since bought and I think you are being a bit harsh blaming Phillips for 2 goals. Trent had a big ‘input’ into all 3 conceded! Phillips and Kabak had 3 CS in a row before Tuesday so have some credit in the bank.

Personally I wouldn’t pick Phillips on WC as he has no attacking threat but as bench fodder he should get you points if called upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Schmeichel is 0.2 more than Mendy, but Rudiger is 0.3 less than Fofana. Basically couldn't find any Leicester defenders that I thought were value, but I do want more Leicester players than just Ihenacho. 5.0 is a bit much for just clean sheet potential at Leicester imo, and Castagne at 5.7 hasn't had an attacking return since GW3 so doesn't really justify that premium.

Prefer Rudiger at 4.7 and Alonso at 5.7 to any of the Leicester options so happy enough to pay the extra bit for Schmeichel in goals. It's also is a combo that basically takes you to end of season with one of your keepers having a good fixture, so gets the best out of Forster

Open to rotation risk with Chelsea defenders though, whereas Mendy/Fofana should be fairly nailed on.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Open to rotation risk with Chelsea defenders though, whereas Mendy/Fofana should be fairly nailed on.

Yeah I think I'm comfortable with that risk.

I'm going on a suspicion that Rudi will actually be fairly nailed now. The one match they don't play him they concede 5. He's been very good since joining.

Alonso I think gets the next 2 at least with the view that Chilwell played last game and will probably play the next CL leg. In general there seems to be a trend that Alonso plays against the weaker teams and Chilwell against the stronger ones. Alonso is certainly more risky but I think he gets the next 2 and I can always transfer him out. And he justifies the risk with his amazing attacking potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Current draft with .1 itb
    Mendy/Forester
    Dias Shaw Cresswell Fofana Holding
    Salah Jota Bruno Lingard Son
    Kane Nacho Davis

Stuck between Salah/Davis or Neto/Aguero but Aguero would be a 1 week punt wheras I'd captain Salah in 3/5 games so looks the smarter choice.

Those Wolves and Arsenal fixtures are so tempting, feel I need cover for both so might do Shaw to Coady to free up some funds as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ultimately my wildcard is coming down to a conversation of whether I go Vardy/Phillips/Castagne or Lacazette/TAA/Holding

The first one is definitely the more assured starters. The 2nd one is really reliant on TAA being way more worthwhile than Phillips

Must say I like the idea of Schmeichal/Rudiger over Mendy/Fofana now that I seen this post, will have to think it over more

Must say I like the idea of Schmeichal/Rudiger over Mendy/Fofana now that I seen this post, will have to think it over more
    Mendy is a more reliable starter than Rudiger though

CSF wrote: »
    Ultimately my wildcard is coming down to a conversation of whether I go Vardy/Phillips/Castagne or Lacazette/TAA/Holding

The first one is definitely the more assured starters. The 2nd one is really reliant on TAA being way more worthwhile than Phillips

First option is a lot better, Arsenal are too unreliable no matter how good their fixtures are so having 2 players is too many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Wildcard frenzy starting to ramp up now :-)

Been thinking about the keeper situation.... originally had Mendy/Forster but the posts here about rotation and both of them missing at some stage due to cup game have thrown doubt on it.

Schmeichel then creates another issue and has me doubting now whether to keep Dias at all as Pep should really wrap him up in cotton wool for Champions League at this stage.

The alternative would be Alonso (alongside Rudiger, Fofana, Phillips and Semedo)...

First option is a lot better, Arsenal are too unreliable no matter how good their fixtures are so having 2 players is too many
    I think the same. TAA may still punish me, but I feel that maybe we've gotten too amped up with it, and maybe all the conversation about him needing to be a better defensive option for England will have an impact on his mindset when playing for Liverpool now.

Anyone else worried about Iheanacho on WC? Does the return of Maddison mean he could lose his place? Hard to replace at the price if he does lose his place

Anyone else worried about Iheanacho on WC? Does the return of Maddison mean he could lose his place? Hard to replace at the price if he does lose his place

He’s cheap enough that it shouldn’t be a huge stress though.

Easy to bench for a team who has just been allowed pick their best 15 players again. I actually have him benched this week at the expense of Neto but in the games that follow I think he’s a great great shout and they’re the kind of games he is likely to start.

Leaning towards this, so any comments welcome:

Schmeichel, Forster
    TAA, Shaw, Rudiger, Lowton, Masuaku (or Veltman)
    Salah, Fernandes, Son, Jota, Lingard
    Kane, Iheanacho, Vydra

Son is there for the double. Aim is to replace him and Vydra in GW33 - with possibly Raphinha and DCL/Bamford/Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

No DCL love? They will have a double and have some nice fixtures

Leaning towards this, so any comments welcome:

Schmeichel, Forster
    TAA, Shaw, Rudiger, Lowton, Masuaku (or Veltman)
    Kane, Iheanacho, Vydra

Son is there for the double. Aim is to replace him and Vydra in GW33 - with possibly Raphinha and DCL/Bamford/Wilson

Would you go Holding/Dawson instead of Lowton/Masuaku?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Ros1234

I've settled on the following;
    (keeping from pre WC in bold)
    Mendy, Forster
    TAA, Shaw, Rudiger, Cancelo & Ayling
    Salah, Maddison, Jota, Lingard & Sterling for 1 GW punt and switch to Son next week
    Kane, Bamford & Iheanacho

Thanks for the feed back, great place for bouncing ideas off each other, best of luck to all

Would you go Holding/Dawson instead of Lowton/Masuaku?

As soon as I posted it, I thought of Dawson and I could even stretch to Coufal.

I'm not keen on Holding. Mari is still about and David Luiz will be straight back in once fit.

Lowton and Coufal/Dawson works though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Yeah I think I'm comfortable with that risk.

I'm going on a suspicion that Rudi will actually be fairly nailed now. The one match they don't play him they concede 5. He's been very good since joining.

Alonso I think gets the next 2 at least with the view that Chilwell played last game and will probably play the next CL leg. In general there seems to be a trend that Alonso plays against the weaker teams and Chilwell against the stronger ones. Alonso is certainly more risky but I think he gets the next 2 and I can always transfer him out. And he justifies the risk with his amazing attacking potential.

They conceded 5, but the red card had a big impact on that. At a complete guess (based on nothing really) my hunch would be he'll play 6 of 8 remaining games. It's whether he missed the likes of the Fulham/Brighton home games that'd be key and that's more risk/uncertainty than I'd be willing to take on.

He also didn't play in GW27 versus Everton where they kept a clean sheet (so he's missed 2 of the last 3 league games). Thiago Silva is back now (except the one game suspension) and he was fairly nailed on before his injury, albeit under a different manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Think I'm done.

Johnstone Forster
    Rudiger Alonso Digne Shaw TAA
    Raphinha Lingard Salah Jota Son
    Iheanacho Kane Wood

Usually I'd say it's too balanced but I dont think money will be an issue and I know more than one of the players could miss a game so whoever I bench has a half decent chance of playing anyway.

Hoping to make use of this 15 over the next 2 weeks then use 1 or 2FTs to dance with the blank week.

I’m on

Mendy Forster
    Rudiger Phillips Castagne Shaw Sanchez (really just for the double before moving him on)
    Salah Jota Neto Lingard Bruno
    Kane Vardy Iheaneacho

High chance I BB in 32

3 hours before deadline and I'm considering ditching Bruno for Sterling....yay or nay??

Cartman78 wrote: »
    3 hours before deadline and I'm considering ditching Bruno for Sterling....yay or nay??

A big nay!

I can see the logic in selling Bruno - safe in 2nd, still in the EL, his returns are down, but Sterling is far from a guaranteed starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Jota-WardProwse-Lingard
    Would be the big choice then it comes to a midfielder in that price range

Going to have faith in Bamford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

A big nay!

I can see the logic in selling Bruno - safe in 2nd, still in the EL, his returns are down, but Sterling is far from a guaranteed starter.

Yeah agreed.

I think this gameweek alone Sterling is a great option though having played very few minutes the last month or so. He’s very likely to start tomorrow I would say.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Think I'm done.

Johnstone Forster
    Rudiger Alonso Digne Shaw TAA
    Raphinha Lingard Salah Jota Son
    Iheanacho Kane Wood

Usually I'd say it's too balanced but I dont think money will be an issue and I know more than one of the players could miss a game so whoever I bench has a half decent chance of playing anyway.

Hoping to make use of this 15 over the next 2 weeks then use 1 or 2FTs to dance with the blank week.

Would downgrade Digne and upgrade Johnstone personally

Right...last draft or thereabouts... BB next week

Schmeichel | Forster

Phillips | Digne | Rudiger | Dawson | Semedo

Salah | Bruno | Jota | Son | Lingard

Wood | Iheanacho | Kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Best way to use chips?

Posted my situation and current team this morning....have 2nd WC,Bench Boost and Free Hit still to use and need to make up 40 pts in money league which I think is do-able as rivals have most chips used.

Realistically should I WC this GW and Bench Boost then next GW?

Thinking of bringing in likes of Salah,Reguilion,Holding,Maddison (punt) to my squad....thanks for any quick advice on good players that have favourable games in next few weeks to get on WC....
    Clocks ticking so thanks for any thoughts.

Best way to use chips?

Posted my situation and current team this morning....have 2nd WC,Bench Boost and Free Hit still to use and need to make up 40 pts in money league which I think is do-able as rivals have most chips used.

Realistically should I WC this GW and Bench Boost then next GW?

Thinking of bringing in likes of Salah,Reguilion,Holding,Maddison (punt) to my squad....thanks for any quick advice on good players that have favourable games in next few weeks to get on WC....
    Clocks ticking so thanks for any thoughts.

Use your WC to prep for BB the week after anyways. I'd probably keep FH until the final GW if I still had it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Any glaring mistakes here, 1.1m in bank

Schmeichel - Forster

TAA - Rudiger - Coady - Holding - Phillips

Salah - Bruno - Maddison - Lingard - Neto

Kane - Iheanacho - Vydra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

^^^Anything to be said for having Lloris as second keeper - for the DGW, and then Sheffield United after the blank.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

mdwexford wrote: »
    Any glaring mistakes here, 1.1m in bank

Schmeichel - Forster

TAA - Rudiger - Coady - Holding - Phillips

Salah - Bruno - Maddison - Lingard - Neto

Kane - Iheanacho - Vydra

Id go Masuaku over Holding unless you need him this week

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I think I’m just getting more uncertain now as I read here haha.

My front 8 is

Bruno Lingard KDB Gundogen Raphina

Bamford Kane Antonio

I’m thinking of Antonio out for Iheanacho. Was gonna get Jota in but at this stage I’m thinking I might hang onto the 4 points and hope that Liverpool’s porm home form continues for another week.

I know the logical thing is to get rid of the City lads but I’m reluctant to get rid of them in case they end up playing as that game should be very open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's a mad game id have told you the WC was to reduce the money on the bench.

All playing bench of Shaw, Castagne, Raph....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Almost final draft thoughts

1.9 ITB
    Mendy, Forster
    Alonso, Phillips, Dallas, Dias, Shaw
    Jota, Sterling, Bruno, Mount, Lingard
    Iheanacho, Kane, Watkins

Sterling becomes Salah or son next week. Probably Son.

Any thoughts on Watkins should I make him into someone else??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

After much tinkering I'm fairly set on this:

Mendy - Forster
    TAA - Shaw - Dias - Rudiger - Amartey
    Salah - Jota - Bruno - Son - Lingard
    Kane - Iheanacho - Vydra

with 0.4 left in the bank.

Final decision is whether to bring Alonso in for Dias (and play him ahead of Rudiger in a 3-5-2). Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Newbie20 wrote: »
    I think I’m just getting more uncertain now as I read here haha.

My front 8 is

Bruno Lingard KDB Gundogen Raphina

Bamford Kane Antonio

I’m thinking of Antonio out for Iheanacho. Was gonna get Jota in but at this stage I’m thinking I might hang onto the 4 points and hope that Liverpool’s porm home form continues for another week.

I know the logical thing is to get rid of the City lads but I’m reluctant to get rid of them in case they end up playing as that game should be very open.

Are you wildcarding? There's no -4 on a wildcard! You can change your team as much as you want before the deadline.

Schmiechel / Forster

TAA / Rudiger / Alonso / Holding / Masuaku
    Son / Bruno / Lingard / Jota / Sterling
    Ihenacho / Kane / Davis

1.4m in the bank

This is an aggressive enough WC from me. Money is packed into the XI with a cheap bench. Gone with defenders who I think can score points, high ceiling picks and I haven't overthought too much rotation risks. There's only 8 weeks left so a player not being nailed isn't going to cause you as much of a headache and using a WC at this stage you should have some space to correct mistakes. I'm fairly well clear in most mini-leagues but need to make ground in the boards money leagues so I think I can take these risks.

Rationale on some of the stranger picks:

Schmeichel - rotates with Forster til end of season - can forget about GK position, Lack of value in Leicester defence, so prefer to go with their keeper for possible cleanies (and maybe some save/bonus points)

Alonso - I think he will play the next 2 matches at least, coming after the CL matches. Chilwell played in the CL and Alonso has tended to play against weaker teams. His recent attacking underlying stats are too good to ignore. If he doesn't play I have Holding frist sub with good fixtures. After the next 2 I might look to get rid anyway as the fixtures shift, but if I get him for the next 2 that's good enough for me.

Rudiger - cheapest way into Chelsea defence, value at 4.7. I think he should be quite nailed given the defensive performances with/without him but I'm comfortable if he plays 6/8.

TAA - Can definitely see the rationale for Phillips, gone over it a few times myself as it frees up a lot of funds, but I want as many of my starting 11 to be capable of double digit hauls as possible. TAA's recent underlying attacking numbers are excellent and with Jota back I'd expect more goals. Even without attacking returns he's been gobbling up the 3 bonus a couple of times recently. We were all saying he was a bargain at 7.5 at the start of the season, we can now get him at 7.3 with excellent fixtures. If Liverpool can find their early season form I think he's a must-pick, so I'm willing to bet on him considering the CL place up for grabs and signs of a turn in form for Liverpool.

Son - has good underlying stats despite underwhelming returns lately, has the double and is a proven performer. No Europa distractions.

Sterling (and no Salah) - I don't see any standout captain picks this week. Leeds have the highest XGa away from home in the league, hard to pass up a City captaincy option here. Sterling should play and has a high ceiling. It was about this time last year he started getting big hauls. Salah is between 2 big European games and there's even a small chance he's rested. Villa are good defensively so I'm happy to take the risk for this week at least to go without Salah, especially when looking at how few big hauls his had in the 2nd half of this season. I've kept 1.4 in the bank so I can switch from Sterling to Salah next week (and will almost certainly do this unless something unexpected happens). I was going to do this one week punt with Sterling to Son instead, but it tied up too much funds.

Davis - would have liked Vydra, but need the funds for my above Sterling captaincy pick and I'm comfortable with 1 non-starting sub. Can always change this into Vydra or Welbeck in a few weeks if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Use your WC to prep for BB the week after anyways. I'd probably keep FH until the final GW if I still had it

Yeah going WC and then BB next week

• Advertisement

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Almost final draft thoughts

1.9 ITB
    Mendy, Forster
    Alonso, Phillips, Dallas, Dias, Shaw
    Jota, Sterling, Bruno, Mount, Lingard
    Iheanacho, Kane, Watkins

Sterling becomes Salah or son next week. Probably Son.

Any thoughts on Watkins should I make him into someone else??

Going with this. Watkins a sub most weeks anyway, and he's good for a goal every now and then. And Grealish is back. Enough to fiddle around next week and get son or Salah. Not a huge amount of changes. Biggest risks are dropping Bamford, Cresswell, Martinez. Quite comfortable with it, if it comes off I'll be moving up a bit.

Don't think there's any glaring mistakes here. West ham seemed to loosen up lately at the back. Cresswell not returning like when I had him before.

Settled on:

Schmeichel, Forster
    TAA, Rudiger, Shaw, Coufal, Lowton
    Kane, Iheanacho, Vydra.

Son goes after the doubles to free up cash to upgrade one of the two cheap strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Is the Shaw yellow flag any cause for concern ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Rikand wrote: »
    Is the Shaw yellow flag any cause for concern ?

Ole said he expects him to be fine for the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Going with this. Watkins a sub most weeks anyway, and he's good for a goal every now and then. And Grealish is back. Enough to fiddle around next week and get son or Salah. Not a huge amount of changes. Biggest risks are dropping Bamford, Cresswell, Martinez. Quite comfortable with it, if it comes off I'll be moving up a bit.

Don't think there's any glaring mistakes here. West ham seemed to loosen up lately at the back. Cresswell not returning like when I had him before.

Is grealish back? Saw their manager on sky sports an hour ago saying he’s had a setback but hopes to be back before the end of season.

And I'm done....I ended my brief flirtation with Digne for the presumably safe option of Azpi....never a fan of double defence so really banking on the West Brom game being a complete anomaly.

Schmeichel | Forster

Phillips | Azpi | Rudiger | Dawson | Semedo

Salah | Bruno | Jota | Son | Lingard

Wood | Iheanacho | Kane

Is grealish back? Saw their manager on sky sports an hour ago saying he’s had a setback but hopes to be back before the end of season.

Apologies, I meant he will be back by time I want to play Watkins again hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭skippy15

Apologies, I meant he will be back by time I want to play Watkins again hopefully

Roll on 630 so this can be over, and surprised teams turned so templtey,
    last two Def spots doing my head in Dias and Lowton at the minute and going just leave at that

skippy15 wrote: »
    last two Def spots doing my head in Dias and Lowton at the minute and going just leave at that

Agree completely! Nice to have it over with now.

• Advertisement

skippy15 wrote: »

Agree. No need for the usual Saturday panic

Advertisement