Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workshop Fuse board - query

Options
  • 16-09-2020 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Just a query - Workshop has 4 double sockets and two strip lights. The electrician has a dedicated trip switch for each.
    I'm just wondering why it is setup with a dedicated rcd for each? Is it possible to tap off a socket to create an extra double socket? or add an extra light from one of the existing lights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

It's probably an RCBO not an RCD for each? If not there should be a separate RCD controlling multiple MCBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭leinster93

alan4cult wrote: »
    It's probably an RCBO not an RCD for each? If not there should be a separate RCD controlling multiple MCBs.

Thanks for the reply.

I see each is an MCB for each indivual socket x 4. Also two MCB's, one for each strip light.

I am in the process of adding a partition wall to one side of the workshop which will leave the two lights outside the new room and a socket inside the room.

In terms of loading is it okay to add a socket to one of the existing sockets? or do I need to get a new MCB added for the new socket.

My query is similar for adding a new light inside the partition. Can I just tap off an existing light or do I need to have a new MCB along with the new light?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

Not to be smart , would you not just get a electrician in to do it , couple hours max

JL spark wrote: »
    Not to be smart , would you not just get a electrician in to do it , couple hours max

Thanks, I would if I had the cash tbf which is why I am doing all the work myself. I know the legislation in place and won't be touching the fuseboard...
    I'm just not sure relating to the setup in the workshop if another socket can be added onto the dedicated MCB. I understand for a house the rating and no. of sockets, lights etc on a ring...

Seems as a workshop each socket has a trip switch rated at 20amps. Makes sense now. With use of power tools etc the max power is rated to 4400 watts for each socket. Having two sockets off one mcb rated 20 amps isokay by my calculations...

• Advertisement
Advertisement