Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hogwarts Legacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the PS4/Pro was disastrous. I replaced thermal paste on mine after a while which quietened it for a few months but then it started up again. Menu/map screens in particular always drove the fans crazy, I believe due to uncapped frame rates.

The PS5 barely makes a hum or anything, I don't notice any noise from it at all. Then again I have it kinda behind the corner unit. I don't really mind the look of it. It's not great, but it's so extreme that I just see it as a "thing" more than a console. But its shape and size is so unwieldy that it doesn't fit in the unit nicely and wouldn't have enough airflow around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

so turns out I had 60 quid ms vouchers thanks to the rewards program, picked this up this morning and now to think of a name for a wizard all day during working.

My ps5 is also noisy for what its worth, not ps4 pro noisy but like a constant whine, Its well discussed on here but the thing hardly gets turned on so no need to complain about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SebastianDahl

This year provided us with a significant number of games. New God of War and Hogwards Legacy are the games I waited for the most. I wish I hadn't started Marvel's Avengers because it is pretty challenging to complete on a platinum trophy(and I am so close). I just need more time. But I already want to play both of these games. If I could, I would do it simultaneously))))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I say its the easiest to program more then anything else then have to program if this selected then use this speech. I doubt it was a slight or a reference to Rowling

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It might turn out ok considering other ports they've done. I played a few minutes of Hogwarts on the Steam Deck the other night and it ran pretty good at 40fps, so that will do me if I need a handheld wizardry fix. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Gamergurll

It's huge, I've it hiding in the press under the TV and it just about fits 😂 I've to leave the door open when I play it too, it throws out some heat

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

where's the cheapest option to pick this up for ps5 guys ? I 'm assuming Smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yeah looks great to me. I didn’t change any of the in game settings when playing it on the deck so it’s running at 1280x800. No need to use any custom layouts either, everything works fine. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Would it be easier to play on a console or pc?

If you mean which type of input is better suited, then definitely joypad imo - many actions need combinations of button presses - I wouldn't fancy playing it with keyboard & mouse (I'm playing it on PC with a PS5 controller and also on Steam Deck).

Decided to mostly stick to the main quests today and finally unlocked talents when I was lvl 15 - so received 11 points to spend all at once (they can be unlocked at lvl 5 apparently) - extra spell sets is really useful. Also got my broom and the room that lets you craft stuff - the game is really opening up now. Brilliant it is.

Oh and I'm still not bored of the transmog - even if you're too under levelled to wear something you can still use it's appearance. Same goes for anything you've sold or destroyed. Rocking a Bloodborne look atm. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So lots of discussion on how ugly the PS5 is and the out of game issues, but what are people thinking of the game? I don't trust buying a game early or reviews after Cyberpunk so interested to see how people are finding it? Worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

i am about 5 hours into the game and really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Here's me, a Batman fan, and no interest in Harry Potter, playing Gotham a Knights wishing I was playing Hogwarts Legacy. Looks a good laugh.

For sure knowledge or fondness of Harry Potter is not a requirement to enjoying this game. I couldn’t give a fig about the HP universe (named my character Frodo Baggins 😂) but having great fun all the same.

Pro tip for anyone who got their broom - if you fly relatively close to the ground you can keep L2 pressed and you won’t lose any of your boost (or whatever that yellow bar is).

They’ve implemented the flying really well imo, you can stay low to the ground like being on one of those speeder things from Return of the Jedi. Or slow up, fly higher and just go for a chill flight taking in the scenery, then hop off and get back into some combat or whatever. It’s very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭1992ChainGang

Really enjoying this game, the combat is a lot more creative than I was expecting, hard to know which spells to have equipped.

Completed about 7 or so hours of story and dabbling around with side quests now slowly progressing, the map is class so happy they’ve expanded outside of the castle itself.

Hope they build on this and develop even more with a sequel would be incredible

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was walking through the hallways and one knight was humming mad and then I turn around and the knight next to him is stamping his foot on him and then he stops and the other knight is on the ground in bits still humming the same tune but in a broken way 😂 its little things like that, that make this game great 😄.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So finished the main story with God of War Ragnarok last night so thinking back to this again now and should I jump on it.

How's it playing a week in for everyone? I seen everyone saying the combat is really good and fun to play I think its just going to be weird for me one way or another going from huge axes flaming weapons and bloody Kratos god of war to a Harry Potter wannabe and magic spells ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Anyone else getting Assassin Creed vibes off the ancient magic stuff particularly the cut scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I'm about 15 hours in and am really enjoying this. It probably suffers a bit from trying to appeal to an extremely broad audience so lacks a bit of depth, it's definitely an RPG lite.

But the setting and the world is beautifully done. The attention to detail is excellent and the game is simply fun.

8/10 for HP fans and maybe 7/10 for others. I hope it does well so we get DLC and a sequel. There is lots more they could do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Only 10 hours in this, but will be getting a good few hours in the coming week. It's a great game. Hogwarts is massive and a joy to explore. As said above, the suits of armor are brilliant. Each area of the castle feels unique and I'm still trying to get used to the layout. So many nooks and crannies and while it's full of busy work, it's still enjoyable.

Classes are brief and simple but it knows they're only there to learn spells so don't overstay. Characters are all very well played so far, none I'd call annoying yet, which is new for me as there's usually at least 1 annoying character.

Outside Hogwarts is where the real action is, and the bit I've explored so far was fun. Again, lots of busy work but it's still enjoyable so far. Looks like a lot of ground to cover, but just got the broom so should speed it up a bit.

Story is good, but it seems to me its a game struggling with what it wants to be. I said in the general thread that I feel like it's 2 games, the Hogwarts experience and a darker experience outside of the school. Main character is taking the, what appears to me to be, killing characters in his stride. Not a bit of bother to him! And I still haven't learned Dark Magic.

I still feel I'm very early in the game, like it's just opening up now. It feels strange to spend literal in game days away from the castle and not a word said. Feels like 2 games, a Hogwarts experience and a game outside of it. But I'm loving it so far. The combat is really well implemented, quick and enjoyable. Slowly building up the spells so it's getting more interesting, and the traits look like good upgrades.

It's not perfect. Coming from Forspoken, the fast travel feels slow and I sometimes get stopped at a door in Hogwarts for a few seconds to load beyond it. The cloaks clip quite often, and the camera can work against you at times, but none of this takes away from the fact that it's just enjoyable to play. I can see myself finishing it and then taking a break to play something else, coming back then at some point to go with an evil playthrough.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’m about 3 hours in and level 8.

I found the start hard work tbh, it’s basically a very long tutorial. A lot of pointless walking and excessively long cutscenes with some not very interesting quests.

Im finding the combat controls a bit awkward!

I think I’ve reached the point where it starts to really open up and get fun. I hope anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I ended up getting this on Friday and so far so good! I had issues at the start with how the game looked and performed but changed some picture settings and switched to balanced and everything is pretty much fine and looks great for the most part!

The game is a lot of fun I'm about ten hours in and just got a broom the whole flying thing looks amazing and really adds to the game!

Some of the voice acting is strange but comes across funny without trying to be as every second character reminds me of something from Little Britain!

Speaking of voices the owner of the Three Broomsticks I'm aware she is meant to be trans so I've heard anyway? Her voice is ridiculously bad though to the point you start to wonder if its actually her character talking in the scene at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 webjuice

Why is the game so expensive :')

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Isn't it the same price as other new releases?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some of the less scrupulous publishers have added a tenner to new releases in the last few weeks which might be news to some people that don't keep up with game news and discussion. Warner is one of those publishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm still finding it jarring that half the time I'm.playing a 15 year old schoolkid doing school stuff, and then a 15 year old mass murderer who's happy with his kills!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Seen people joking that they now understand how Voldemort came to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH the fact that so much of the game sounds like an open-world third-person shooter (with spells instead of guns) turns me off the game more than anything. The developers' work on creating a detailed Hogwarts does sound impressive, and sounds like it'd be an ideal setting for a Persona or Bully-style fantasy school sim (perhaps with some light combat elements). But alas games of this scale and budget seem increasingly tied to more traditional action game formulas.

Advertisement