Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Share Bills?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

zeebre12 wrote: »
    So in relation to bills not being shared I am at the mercy of the person I am renting the room in the house from? If I ask him can we not share the bills equally between the three of us and he says no, is it more or less 'tough luck'? So it's like 'if you don't like it you can always find somewhere else'?
    So I have basically no rights? For arguments sake he could she he is not contributing to any bills and I would just have to put up with it or find somewhere else?
    ask to see all the bills add them all up then divide by people in house

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

did you go and ask what the bills are yet?

Do you mean ask what actual bills need to be paid in the house or ask to see previous bills to see how much per month each bill is around?

So you are only paying 40 per month overall and you are complaining? Even for a house share that’s very low bills.

Most house shares will have a proper Bb connection not crap mobile BB, tv packages, bins, electricity, oil/gas, tv licence etc.

Last time I was sharing it was with 3 others and my share of monthly bills was up around the 70 to 80 euro mark on average (higher winter and bit lower summer due to heating).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Before you throw the toys out of the pram, consider how much the heating bills will be for the winter.
    Unless you're in an A rated house, they could be substantial.

I'm in a standard enough 1950s house, and I am a warm creature who doesn't put the heating on much.
    I budget the same amount, €50, to both gas and electric all year round, to cover the winter cost.

So if he's paying for all the heating and you've only to pay half the electric, you're doing well.

Do you mean ask what actual bills need to be paid in the house or ask to see previous bills to see how much per month each bill is around?

find out what the shared bills total.

the bills that need to be paid in the house are standard and shouldnt be up for negotiation. they all "have to be paid".

from what everyone is telling you, you might be picking up the general consensus that you arent getting screwed here as far as anyone can see.

that's your main question answered by people with experience.

can you opt out of a bill if you feel others use it and you dont? not normally, no. your offered example wouldnt strike most of us as a valid reason not to pay your share of the home broadband.

so thats that answered.

after that- is it strange that the bills themselves arent just added up and paid equally out of a kitty?

yes, that is strange. but not in itself reason to believe you are being taken advantage of (as some have said, you may be getting the better end of that deal) and not in itself a factor in you going back and trying to negotiate the other bills.

so, summary: if you, after reading the thread and hopefully listening to the thread, still feel like you are on a war footing with your housemate then the obvious step is to find out how much the bills average out at and split it all three ways.

nb nobody else seems to think there is reason for war footing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

So in relation to bills not being shared I am at the mercy of the person I am renting the room in the house from? If I ask him can we not share the bills equally between the three of us and he says no, is it more or less 'tough luck'? So it's like 'if you don't like it you can always find somewhere else'?
    So I have basically no rights? For arguments sake he could she he is not contributing to any bills and I would just have to put up with it or find somewhere else?

God your attitude is grating.

Why did you come here asking for advice if you're just going to argue?

If you weren't capable of being a grown up and asking how the bills worked BEFORE you moved in, that's on you. That was the point you should have said you didn't want to pay for the shared broadband and asked how the other bills worked.

You have a very cheap deal here so not sure what you're being so snappy about. It's not ideal how bills are set up where you are but it does not sound at all like you're being ripped off. If I were you I'd stop whining and be happy I was living somewhere so cheap. Your other option is to move out, but you're not likely to be any better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hi OP,
    So I am guessing you have moved out of Moms and Pops and are learning about the real world.
    Its crap and living with strangers is full on experience.
    In general (I am open to correction from other posters but by and large), the area you live in and the condition of your house is proportional to what you pay for.
    One in Five renters is a predator, meaning they will feed off your consumables (TP, fairy liquid, washing powder etc) and will mysteriously vanish when there is money to be put into the kitty. Learn to identify them.
    Dont piss off landlords. Pay them the full amount regularly and on time, they maybe paying a mortgage on the property. In General (I am open to correction from other posters but by and large), if you treat them right they will be prompt and fast correct problems and such.
    Don't be in a mixed house of Students and working professionals, (I am open to correction ......) it rarely works out well for either party.

Its all a learning experience...... we all had to do it at some stage, unless you are moving in with your wife or cell mate (same things in certain situations depending on your perspective).

If you weren't capable of being a grown up and asking how the bills worked BEFORE you moved in, that's on you. That was the point you should have said you didn't want to pay for the shared broadband and asked how the other bills worked.

You have a very cheap deal here so not sure what you're being so snappy about. It's not ideal how bills are set up where you are but it does not sound at all like you're being ripped off. If I were you I'd stop whining and be happy I was living somewhere so cheap. Your other option is to move out, but you're not likely to be any better off.

In fairness its his first time out of the nest and he is learning when the toilet paper runs out, the magic toilet paper fairy doesnt replace it.

Also Cheap stuff isnt always good stuff and good stuff is rarely cheap.

I may be better off, I don't know? But the advert clearly stayed BILLS SHARED. I asked around how much would the electricity be for me a week and he said €10. He never mentioned anything about him not contributing to the electricity until I questioned him. Also when I questioned him he mentioned something about me getting a cheaper room in the house. This should have no influence on the bills. He could decide from Nov-Feb because it's colder that we pay extra couldn't he? I have no rights. He could decide he is not paying any bills.

In fairness its his first time out of the nest and he is learning when the toilet paper runs out, the magic toilet paper fairy doesnt replace it.

Also Cheap stuff isnt always good stuff and good stuff is rarely cheap.

Excuse me! He posted on the advert BILLS SHARED. I presumed that meant BILLS SHARED. This is not BILLS SHARED. He is picking and choosing what he wants. I house shared last year and bills were split evenly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Move out OP clearly you think you're been take for a ride to the tune of a few euro a month.

i made a big ole post for you there OP setting out your reasonable options and you've just carried on picking fights with anyone who doesnt tell you that you, who doesn't seem to have a great appreciation of the norms nor your own situation, aren't in a position to play victim here.

is there any reason that any further contributor should treat you as genuinely seeking a solution to whatever issue you face here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

call it a wash

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bills shared. Sounds pretty obvious. If there’s broadband turn you need to pay your share regardless of using it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Sorry for long spiel. I recently moved into a house share with two others. The advertisement stated 'Rooms available in ___. €300 per month with a deposit of €200. Bills shared. Not owner occupied'. The man who posted the advertisement (who I'm sharing with) with said they were like the 'head' tenant or something and it's kind of up to them to find someone to rent the rooms in the house. There are 4 rooms in house with 3 occupied. The 'head' said he was also trying to fill the other room but people have shown interest and he is picking who he wants in the house (it is still not filled). When I was enquiring about the house he said there was a top up meter for electricity (rip off anyway!!!) that was around €10 a week each. When I moved in he mentioned something about him paying for bins. Now today I saw that the prepay electricity meter was running low so I said it was his turn. Then he said no that me and the other tenant pay for electricity and he pays for bins/heating (which has not been turned on yet). He also said something about that me and the other tenant pay cheaper for the rooms and this was a reason for us paying electricity. There is also broadband (which I am not using as I have my own). He said when I asked him about paying for electricity that he is also paying for broadband but let's the other tenant use it also. In general should I have to pay for broadband if i don't use it anyway? This lad seems to be taking me for a ride? Where do I stand?
    Just wondering what should I do? Should I challenge him and say bills should be split equally?(like other house shares). If he doesn't agree where do I stand in getting my deposit back if i want to move out? There was nothing signed or anything. Now it seems to me that he is just renting the whole house and renting out the rooms? Thanks (I'm new to renting)

So much entitlement for someone who is just moving in
    Have you ever shared a house before?

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    So much entitlement for someone who is just moving in
    Have you ever shared a house before?

Nope, he is as green as grass on the 17th of March. I know we were all like that at one stage but you will need to start to learn this stuff fast or you are going to have to find alternative accommodation.

Advertisement