Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is your Irish political hero?

Comments

T K Whitaker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

It will come as no surprise to the regulars around here, but it's Garret FitzGerald for me.

Who are your Irish political heroes?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/may/19/garret-fitzgerald-obituary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jedward.

Michael Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

T K Whitaker
    But Whitaker was not a politician.
    He was a civil servant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If we can include NI politicians then John Hume hands down.

If we can't include NI then it's a bit of a head scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Maria Bailey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Michael Collins if he had not been daft enough to get himself killed at Béal Na Bláth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Dr. Noel Browne

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gemma o'doherty of course

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

John Hume. He put peace before his party when he invited Sinn Fein to the negotiation table.

blinding wrote: »
    Michael Collins if he had not been daft enough to get himself killed at Béal Na Bláth.

maybe not
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20199508.html

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    The Times that were in it for both sides.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Ronald Regan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ronald Regan

He went downhill though when he threw the leg over Maggie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    He went downhill though when he threw the leg over Maggie

And we’re done with breakfast ...!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Probably Enda Kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ronald Regan

I've never understood the Ronald Reagan (one would think hero worship would extend to knowing how his name was spelled) sycophancy.

The record shows he spent most of his presidency asleep and reading sunny-side-up rhetoric about America's greatness from script put under his nose by aides. Much like Trump, his cognitive faculties were very much under question during his presidency and anything of significance was crafted almost exclusively by his cabinet and he just signed off on things.

Republicans back-filled a history of 'the legend of Reagan' after he left office that has proven curiously useful in courting the naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Hard to look past John Hume, one of the few Irish politicians to put his country before his party or himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Yurt! wrote: »
    I've never understood the Ronald Reagan (one would think hero worship would extend to knowing how his name was spelled) sycophancy.

The record shows he spent most of his presidency asleep and reading sunny-side-up rhetoric about America's greatness from script put under his nose by aides. Much like Trump, his cognitive faculties were very much under question during his presidency and anything of significance was crafted almost exclusively by his cabinet and he just signed off on things.

Republicans back-filled a history of 'the legend of Reagan' after he left office that has proven curiously useful in courting the naive.
    Don't forget Iran-Contra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Justin Barrett. Until he established the National Party, Irish politics only had the illusion of an opposition. Every single political party in the country, major or minor, all agreed on the main issues. Pro homosexual marriage, pro mass immigration, pro abortion. Justin Barrett’s party finally provides the Irish electorate with a choice and that can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Dr. Noel Browne

Mine too.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

coinop wrote: »
    Justin Barrett. Until he established the National Party, Irish politics only had the illusion of an opposition. Every single political party in the country, major or minor, all agreed on the main issues. Pro homosexual marriage, pro mass immigration, pro abortion. Justin Barrett’s party finally provides the Irish electorate with a choice and that can only be a good thing.

That they’ve wholeheartedly rejected at every opportunity 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

coinop wrote:

Who? Think Ronnie got the leg over here to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

For what and who he delivered it has to be Gerry Adams.

John Hume. when he invited Sinn Fein to the negotiation table.

Factually wrong...Fr Alex Reid was the person who began the process as a go between Adams (SF) and the SDLP. He was ignored by Seamus Mallon by the way before approaching Hume.
    Adams and Reid actually formulated the idea that the peace could only come by a joint approach by the 'Irish' interests.
    the proper FACTUAL view is that Hume was invited by the two above and while his party demurred, Hume accepted the 'invitation'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

For modern Ireland, it's John Hume. Puts pretty much everybody else in the ha'penny place as far as I am concerned.

Within the context of the ROI, Garret Fitzgerald could have been one of our greatest, but things never fully aligned for him.

When you look back on the list of Taoisigh over the past 50 years, it goes like this (some holding the office more than once):

Jack Lynch, Liam Cosgrave, Charles Haughey, Garret Fitzgerald, Albert Reynolds, John Bruton, Bertie Ahern, Brian Cowen, Enda Kenny, Leo Varadker, Micheal Martin.

It's a pretty uninspirational collection really. You have to go back to Lemass for somebody who combined vision and real results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Peter casey, went from dead last in a presidential race to getting 1/4 of the votes of the nation by being brave enough to speak out against the rampant abuse of government money by travellers. A brave man in a time where theres so much pressure and intimidation from pavee point on the media and journalists to gloss over the criminality and entitlement culture within the travelling community that is the single biggest detracting force in rural Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Still waiting...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Seán Lemass, for the introduction of children's allowance in 1943.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Wolfe Tone

Or Arthur Griffith

Or CSP

Or

Roger Casement

Casement was a good man and exposed the Belgian atrocities in the Congo among other things.

Daniel O'Connell did some great things too

(now, judged by today's standards some of these people may have some weird skeletons, but I don't get involved in applying today's social justice standards to historical figures operating in a completely different time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

It's either

Seán Lemass - our first real Taoiseach who wanted to improve Ireland and not just fight the British

Donogh O Malley - just declared free secondary education himself one day

Dr Noel Browne - not perfect, but made huge strides in healthcare

Albert Reynolds - again, far from perfect but he put in an awful lot of the foundation to attracting foreign investment and giving birth to modern Ireland and the Irish Hare economy. Went from having a standard of living way below that of the UK to substantially higher (on average) a lot down to his good work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Terence McSwiney

osarusan wrote: »
    For modern Ireland, it's John Hume. Puts pretty much everybody else in the ha'penny place as far as I am concerned.

Within the context of the ROI, Garret Fitzgerald could have been one of our greatest, but things never fully aligned for him.

When you look back on the list of Taoisigh over the past 50 years, it goes like this (some holding the office more than once):

Jack Lynch, Liam Cosgrave, Charles Haughey, Garret Fitzgerald, Albert Reynolds, John Bruton, Bertie Ahern, Brian Cowen, Enda Kenny, Leo Varadker, Micheal Martin.

It's a pretty uninspirational collection really. You have to go back to Lemass for somebody who combined vision and real results.
    You definitely have to go back as far as Sean Lemass before you could give any of that lot even a Smidgen of Respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

John Hume and Seamus Mallon.

• Advertisement

But Whitaker was not a politician.
    He was a civil servant.

T K Whitaker was, among many other things, a Senator for over a decade.

edit: several years, maybe, rather than a decade.

But I'd argue that most of his roles from Governor of the CB onward were also fairly explicitly political

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

there are a few champions in the the north - john hume and david irvine probably the best two. Although credit to all who ended the troubles.

I find the republic I don't have any heroes , they are all flawed but with some excellent stand outs.

Growing up I always liked a guy called Ray Crotty. he was an economist who took the state to court and won determining that all EU treaties required a referendum - otherwise the state would just have rubber stamped everything.

He knew the score with the EEC (EU) , he ran for election MEP too got 25000 votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

paw patrol wrote: »
    there are a few champions in the the north - john hume and david irvine probably the best two. Although credit to all who ended the troubles.

I find the republic I don't have any heroes , they are all flawed but with some excellent stand outs.

Growing up I always liked a guy called Ray Crotty. he was an economist who took the state to court and won determining that all EU treaties required a referendum - otherwise the state would just have rubber stamped everything.

He knew the score with the EEC (EU) , he ran for election MEP too got 25000 votes.
    I would also add Seamus Mallon if we are allowed nordie politicians
    Of the current crop I really like Naomi Long from the alliance

Constance Markiewicz. A true revolutionary.

Helped establish Dáil Éireann and was the first woman to be elected to and serve there. First woman elected to Westminster and first woman in Europe to hold a cabinet position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Michael McDowell's 2004 citizenship referendum was good. His banning of drinks promos was bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

coinop wrote: »

Ah the Pro Israeli, anti Palestinian who likes to watch the dominoes fall. This makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

May not be a popular vote but has to be Bertie for me - Always found him very impressive politician and & the drive that he put into the GFA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

gmisk wrote: »
    I would also add Seamus Mallon if we are allowed nordie politicians
    Of the current crop I really like Naomi Long from the alliance

true, Mallon is often caught in Humes shadow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Surprised nobody has mentioned Daniel O'Connell yet.

A liberal reformer, who probably attracted a larger number of supporters than any Irish political leader, his monster meetings were attended by hundreds of thousands of people. He achieved Catholic emancipation and despite his own faith worked for the seperation of Church and State, Something we still need to achieve in my opinion. Also he committed himself to non-violence, was a major player in the abolition of slavery and stood up for human rights at a time when it wasn't popular or politically expedient to do so. Even going so far as to criticise the Pope for his mistreatment of Jews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Current choices would include Pearse Doherty, Mick Wallace, Clare Daly, Ming, Catherine Connolly, Joan Collins, Eamon O Cuiv and Ireland's first female Taoiseach in waiting and first leader who will not hail from either FF or FG Mary Lou McDonald. I am including MLM on the hope that if given the chance a change would do the country good.

Reasons being they either fight against corrupt practises and/or represent the interests of their constituents without using the office as a meal ticket. Those mentioned, in my opinion at least, would do the job they do without pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No hero. I thought G. Fitzgerald was likable and sincere. I like Michael D. especially that dressing down he gave the Tea party.
    I admire all the players brought peace to the north.
    Our governments and Taoisigh mostly read like a rogues gallery.

patsman07 wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Daniel O'Connell yet.

A liberal reformer, who probably attracted a larger number of supporters than any Irish political leader, his monster meetings were attended by hundreds of thousands of people. He achieved Catholic emancipation and despite his own faith worked for the seperation of Church and State, Something we still need to achieve in my opinion. Also he committed himself to non-violence, was a major player in the abolition of slavery and stood up for human rights at a time when it wasn't popular or politically expedient to do so. Even going so far as to criticise the Pope for his mistreatment of Jews.
    Catholics could do with a Fella like that these days ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    Mick Wallace

Reasons being they either fight against corrupt practises and/or represent the interests of their constituents without using the office as a meal ticket. Those mentioned, in my opinion at least, would do the job they do without pay.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

blackwhite wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

Okay, if he didn't have a tax bill he might! Anyway, himself and Daly have been highlighting mismanagement of Shannon Airport, and he has been looking into NAMA where it doesn't look like the management agency was looking after the national assets in the best intentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

john123470 wrote: »
    Maria Bailey

Swing and a miss

• Advertisement
Advertisement