Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 18 (Méribel - La Roche-sur-Foron, 175 km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ewan almost 9 minutes down

Sam's group over 7 mins down too. A pig of a day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Just flicked it on for me lunch.

Ineos much more active last few days, it’s not as if they were minding Bernal before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's a pity that when Kwiatkowski is finally allowed to go in the breakaway, he still ends up being on domestique duty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

On Newstalk or gameon radio sport show someone was interviewed about how the lockdown would effect performance, one thing that I remembered amongst a lot of waffle was how he was saying older athletes would find it harder to get up to speed, how the pausing of competition and time to get to top speed again is longer the older the person is.

Cycling could be the perfect example of younger riders being fresher But getting back to “fighting weight” faster and the older being more effected by the lay-off.

I agree with this ...alot of older riders need time and/or racing to get to form and it takes longer ...Valverde is an good example of this

On the flipside older riders have more stamina but unfortunately for them this season is very short

n this Tour we alot of younger riders who are very fast on climbs ...I wonder would they be so fast if they had several races in their legs all year

This Tour is unique in many ways

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I agree with this ...alot of older riders need time and/or racing to get to form and it takes longer ...Valverde is an good example of this

On the flipside older riders have more stamina but unfortunately for them this season is very short

n this Tour we alot of younger riders who are very fast on climbs ...I wonder would they be so fast if they had several races in their legs all year

This Tour is unique in many ways

It seems to be playing out that way alright, Younger athletes are doing better than the older ones, but exceptions exist like Johnny Sexton in the rugby probably the oldest 10 in Ireland but played the best so far.

As time goes on it will be interesting to see if it happens in other sports. Maybe it’s more for sports of individual performance or ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I am certainly in the category of older rider. I have been cycling for 35 years or so, late starter.
    I find that it takes me longer to build up my fitness after injury or lay off than it used to. When I'm fit, on a long hard day, my endurance is as good or better than lads 20 years or more my junior. But it takes me longer to recover from those hard spins , than it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I am certainly in the category of older rider. I have been cycling for 35 years or so, late starter.
    I find that it takes me longer to build up my fitness after injury or lay off than it used to. When I'm fit, on a long hard day, my endurance is as good or better than lads 20 years or more my junior. But it takes me longer to recover from those hard spins , than it used to.

Excuses, HTFU! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Inquitus wrote: »
    Excuses, HTFU! :)

Rule #5 all the way

Crapaz must be getting frustrated ..

Hirschi beating him on climbs today and Kemna beating the other day

Still I think he is the best option for INEOS to win the Tour next year

Eamonnator wrote: »

Its like drinking :pac:

It takes longer to get drunk (and more money)

You are drunk longer (or so it seems ) and the hangovers are more horrendous

• Advertisement

Nasty crash for Hirschi

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

redlead wrote: »
    Whats Alaphalipes game? He seems to throw himself into every breakaway and for the lack of a better way of putting it, blow his load early for no real reason. It just seems like there is no real strategy for him and he's allowed do what he wants. He's explosive but only in short bursts.

Playing to the cameras ? Him getting the combative award the last day was a joke. That should have gone to Carapaz

Nasty crash for Hirschi

Carapaz disposed of that banana skin nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

What's broken on the bike?

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    What's broken on the bike?

Maybe left STI lever that controls front brake and front derailleur

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

15 mins back to Sam - is that a worry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I'm going to try to keep an eye on Ewan's gap at the top to see how much he pulls back on the descent.

Sam about 6'30" down and Ewan another 2 minutes back at the top

I hope Ewan makes it to Paris. & Sam of course.

To beat Ewan on the Champs Elysees would be befitting.

He really came from "Absolutely Nowhere" last year. A great win

Maybe left STI lever that controls front brake and front derailleur

You would hear about carbon bikes breaking from far lesser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭happytramp

Subpopulus wrote: »

Probably not. The CAT 1 they're about to climb is literally half as hard as the CAT 2 they just went up. Bizarre grading.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

2 of Ewan's teammates are 3mins behind the grupetto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,375 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cycling could be the perfect example of younger riders being fresher But getting back to “fighting weight” faster and the older being more effected by the lay-off.
    In a cycling context, they're probably more open to using the Turbo as well. iirc from following them on strava, a lot of the younger guys were pre-covid turbo users. Some of the older ones always outside.

retalivity wrote: »
    2 of Ewan's teammates are 3mins behind the grupetto.

Yeah, they've been sacrificed to save ewan. They might finish the race with only 3 team members. If it wasn't for Sam I'd be dying for Ewan to win in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

for about the 10th time during this tour, C'MON HIRSCHI!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

retalivity wrote: »
    for about the 10th time during this tour, C'MON HIRSCHI!!!

He's been so so good to watch

Carapaz disposed of that banana skin nicely

He has a banana in his back pocket now... Maybe for Caruso :D

EDIT: Bilbao I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Nearly 22 minutes for the Sam group now (14 to peloton). Still a HC climb to come. Ouch!

He has a banana in his back pocket now... Maybe for Caruso :D

The way the tour is going for Ineos he will probably take Kwitkowski out with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Subpopulus wrote: »

The Grupetto are masters of calculation, they very very rarely fail to make the cutoff.

Carapaz is riding very impressively for me, he’s been out front for the last few days and dropped a lot of good riders along the way, putting in a big effort again today and unlucky not to have anything to show for it so far but the KoM could be his consolation prize if Jumbo decide to reel them in and he can’t get stage honours

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Grupetto are masters of calculation, they very very rarely fail to make the cutoff.

Yeah there's 20 DS's who know exactly where they need to be and are letting them know... If they weren't going fast enough it would start to break up with the slower riders getting left behind.

Advertisement