Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

We dont live on an estate so kind of easier to avoid. The older ones fed up but understand (they more missing out on parties & sleepovers at this stage) & the 4 year old can be tricked. Will dress up & pop by outside Grannys & my brothers down the road & long as she gets a big pile of sweets & will do couple of silly games at home, she wont care or remember we normally to go to more houses. She's dressing up every day this week at Creche I nearly hope by Halloween the novelty be worn off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It seems people have lost all reason or common sense if they need to be told to tone down Halloween for this year.

This extends to the much revered Zara King who asked for guidelines from the CMO on Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Not if everything is sanitised properly.

What you're going to sanitise each individual sweet are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Trick or treating is cancelled. fireworks and vandalism is full steam ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Even if Level 3 was still in it would be a bad idea for the usual trick or treating, Halloween parties etc to take place.

Probably another factor in the Level 5 decision. As you just know people would have still brought their kids trick or treating and people would have gone to parties. It is on a Saturday night after all.

You could argue well the schools are still open so does it matter about trick or treating? (In level 3) But you would have kids coming in to contact with random people through random houses. People who would have never came into contact if it weren't for Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Just play a few traditional games at home like bobbing for apples, Make a Mummy (wrapping each other in toilet roll), or Go, Johnny Go Go Go Go.

https://www.schooldays.ie/articles/halloween-games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Corner shop full to bursting with Christmas sweets. What’s Halloween? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I can't believe this is still being asked.

No trick or treating. You are not allowed to have visitors. Doesn't matter what you sanitize or what excuses you make.

All the blame going to house parties and the GAA but no mention of stupid entitled parents who think they are special.

Ah but my little Sorcha don't have de Covit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Trick or Treating was never going to happen. How are you only thinking about it now? I told my 6 year old kid this back in August.

what makes you think I'm only thinking about it now? I'm just putting up a thread close to the event to see what people think is to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

froog wrote: »
    What you're going to sanitise each individual sweet are you?

I don't have any kids so this collective "we" doesn't include me.

But yes, i don't see why each individual item can't be sanitised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,139 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Covid or Treat
    Covid or Treat
    Give Us Something Good To Eat
    Cookies, Chocolate, Candy Please!
    Or You'll Get A Wild Disease !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Why do we just look at the negative, Halloween is not cancelled, we just have to do it differently that’s all. Adaptation is what we humans should be good at, this is just something small in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

We explained it to the daughter and she took it well, she is mad into it and dressing up, she was and is sad it's not happening but she will be doing stuff in the house.

Its terrible it has to be this way, but unfortunately it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wonder what will happen, people in Darndale etc aren't going to stay indoors that night, all hell could break loose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wonder what will happen, people in Darndale etc aren't going to stay indoors that night, all hell could break loose

My money is that you will at least still have loads of bonfires around Dublin especially in council estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Not if everything is sanitised properly.

How would you know this though?

I mean how would you trust every household to sanitize competently?

Seems like if a lot of people are coming up with schemes like this then there would at least be a few contacts that lead to infection. Maybe not enough to make any difference to anything but even so.

In a nation where a lot of people don't seem to understand how to wear a mask over the mouth AND nose I wouldn't be too willing to trust them to properly sanitize everything or even be bothered to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My money is that you will at least still have loads of bonfires around Dublin especially in council estates.

Yes kids have been collecting stuff to burn around Sheriff st for ages already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭RoryMac

ChikiChiki wrote: »

This extends to the much revered Zara King who asked for guidelines from the CMO on Halloween.

Don't worry from tomorrow she'll be back to normal asking questions about hairdressers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    How would you know this though?

I mean how would you trust every household to sanitize competently?

As I said, I don't have kids so it's not my problem. But there's no reason why it can't work.

Same as what happened during the first lockdown.

People will completely disregard the restrictions and nothing will be done about it.

The reason why we are in Level 5 now is because there was no enforcement of Level 3. Why would anything change now?

• Advertisement

As I said, I don't have kids so it's not my problem. But there's no reason why it can't work.

Ah, I wasn't having a go at you.

Just generally saying people come up with these wee schemes to get around the restrictions and assume it's just fine when they don't really know if it is or is not.

The main reason why it wouldn't work is that you can't really trust that many people to behave in a competent manner.

You're trusting say 20 houses to leave 20 bags out for 20 kids and if even one of them doesn't do it properly you'd be looking at maybe a handful of infections.

Repeat that scenario nationwide and for sure you are going to have a good few people catching the virus from such a plan. Pretty much guaranteed.

Most likely it would be the odd parent who thinks, ah sure, the kid has the sniffles and a cough but he'll be gutted if he misses Halloween so we'll send him out early and sure it'll be fine, just tell him not to cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

But sure there's nothing for the kids to do in council estates.

So they burn the playgrounds and everything else on a bonfire.

Poor disadvantaged mites.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's a really bad idea to have kids going from house to house right now. Parents should be fined if they allow their kids out to trick or treat. And I say that with a kid at home who's very disappointed he can't go out for Halloween. He'll get over it.

The kids don't give a sh!t about going around the houses. All they want is a haul of candy. So just buy them a load of it and stick on Hocus Pocus at home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I can think of a reason

COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 28,973 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The best way to make it work, and be 100% foolproof. Parents rocks up to the houses on the estate with their kids, McStuffin in no. 5 comes to the door. Listens as lovely Jacinta does her routine on the street at a safe distance. Parents of the kid, then take a bag of sweet from their own stash, explaining that the bag is from McStuffin. Parents and child move onto the next house where the process repeats. No swapping of bags, no contact, and everyone moves along in peace.

The parents are still buying the same amount of sweets, except they're only giving it to their own kid, who still ends up with the same amount of sweets at the end of the street,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I can't believe this is still being asked.

No trick or treating. You are not allowed to have visitors. Doesn't matter what you sanitize or what excuses you make.

All the blame going to house parties and the GAA but no mention of stupid entitled parents who think they are special.

Many of those house parties were for communions and confirmations and for kids birthdays that got postponed earlier in the year.

All very very stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

blanch152 wrote: »
    Many of those house parties were for communions and confirmations and for kids birthdays that got postponed earlier in the year.

All very very stupid.

Exactly. The rules don't apply to them because the kids are in school or some other nonsense.

And we continue to blame young people and bitch about teenagers being together outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

I feel bad for the kids but it's an unnecessary risk to go to multiple houses really.

Some workarounds could be safe enough like if some family members who lived near each other dropped sweet bags to each others doors (and the receiving parents ensured it was safe).

Halloween zoom calls should be organized and families can dress up together.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Absolutely incredible to think children can go Trick or Treat during the lockdown. Disappointing for children but its up to parents to come up with alternative entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't have any kids so this collective "we" doesn't include me.

But yes, i don't see why each individual item can't be sanitised?

Are you still sanitising every item you going home from the supermarket?

Advertisement