Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my father get tested after a routine hospital procedure

Options
  • 17-09-2020 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to get advice on this.

My father is due to get a daycase procedure done shortly in hospital.

He lives with my mother and sister who both have significant underlying conditions so he has asked the hospital if he can have a test before he is discharged to go home.

The consultant has flat out refused this and suggested alternatives like his GP/a private hospital.

My mother has contacted the private hospital and they have now flat out refused after initially giving her the impression that it would be no problem.

They are at a loss as to what they can do.
    My mother is very concerned he could pass it on if he picked anything up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Who else could they get to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

He will probably get a test before he goes in, I presume, but a test before he goes home won't really help will it? As if he picks it up while in there it won't show up instantly? I'd say talk to your GP about getting one shortly after, and be extra vigilant about symptoms, can he stay in a separate bedroom afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When I was in hospital a few weeks ago we were all tested.

it will be safer to go via your GP?

Just wanted to get advice on this.

My father is due to get a daycase procedure done shortly in hospital.

He lives with my mother and sister who both have significant underlying conditions so he has asked the hospital if he can have a test before he is discharged to go home.

The consultant has flat out refused this and suggested alternatives like his GP/a private hospital.

My mother has contacted the private hospital and they have now flat out refused after initially giving her the impression that it would be no problem.

They are at a loss as to what they can do.
    My mother is very concerned he could pass it on if he picked anything up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Who else could they get to do this.

Unfortunately, as its a day case, a test would be useless, and would be unlikely to pick up any virus for at least 3 days.

Advertisement