Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible to rent in Kildare

Options
  • 17-09-2020 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Forgive the forthcoming rant but im one lousy viewing away from going insane. Im 27y/o man looking to rent a 1 or ideally 2 bed apartment in kildare for 1000 a month or less, girlfriend possibly moving in with me at a later stage. I work fulltime security until i start my goal job, but also HAP approved. Since june i have gone to 9 viewings with references, payslips etc. Sent off at LEAST 40 applications on daft.ie with absolutely zero luck, most lf the time the rents are leased without even an email back. The owners keep choosing other applicants for no identifiable reason, i have no idea why. I rented in student accommodation and a house share both with good references. Im back living with my mam and just want my own space but its borderline impossible i feel im gonna be living with mammy until im 40 at this rate.

Is there ANY way to make this process easier? I know the market is terrible but this is so far beyond a joke. I honestly have no idea what im doing wrong and need some feedback. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's the HAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

What part of kildare?
    Very little in the big towns in the North anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ironhead93

What part of kildare?
    Very little in the big towns in the North anyway.

Not picky at all just looking for a 1 or preferably 2 bed anywhere in the county

It's the HAP.

Ive heard that landlords are hesitant about HAP for whatever reason but isnt it illegal to refuse a lease based on that? Kind of defeats the purpose of HAP if all it does is make landlords avoid you like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Join the facebook groups like this one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/169969000326213/?multi_permalinks=632975544025554&notif_id=1600207916208357&notif_t=group_highlights

I acted as agent to a rental in kildare recently. There was no possible way to reply to everyone so don't take it personally.

While HAP may be the cause, it could also be the huge competition for places. I am not going to go into the ins and outs of HAP, but it is not all it is cracked up to be, it is not a magic solution to everything.

The guidelines I had to work off was a stable family (4 bed house), who should not struggle with the rent, HAP or otherwise, references, and appeared decent and honest.

I picked about 6 to view out of about 50. Got a slimey fella who was quite cagey when asked about income and stability. A girl who looked like a reformed junkie, a family where he was starting a new job and wanted it long term, and a family who wanted it for for a year or two while they saved up for a place of their own.

I chose the candidate I thought would be straight, pay on time and be there long term.

Check your presentation on that basis and see if you can improve your chances.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ironhead93 wrote: »
    Ive heard that landlords are hesitant about HAP for whatever reason but isnt it illegal to refuse a lease based on that? Kind of defeats the purpose of HAP if all it does is make landlords avoid you like the plague.

That's why they've refused you for a whole lot of other reasons. HAP brings complications for landlords that private rentals don't.

Join the facebook groups like this one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/169969000326213/?multi_permalinks=632975544025554&notif_id=1600207916208357&notif_t=group_highlights

I acted as agent to a rental in kildare recently. There was no possible way to reply to everyone so don't take it personally.

While HAP may be the cause, it could also be the huge competition for places. I am not going to go into the ins and outs of HAP, but it is not all it is cracked up to be, it is not a magic solution to everything.

The guidelines I had to work off was a stable family (4 bed house), who should not struggle with the rent, HAP or otherwise, references, and appeared decent and honest.

I picked about 6 to view out of about 50. Got a slimey fella who was quite cagey when asked about income and stability. A girl who looked like a reformed junkie, a family where he was starting a new job and wanted it long term, and a family who wanted it for for a year or two while they saved up for a place of their own.

I chose the candidate I thought would be straight, pay on time and be there long term.

Check your presentation on that basis and see if you can improve your chances.

Good luck!

Appreciate the detailed response, I can certainly afford the rent without hap albeit it would be about 40% of my income. Its very difficult when up against people more professionally developed and 10 -20 years older than me (why theyre still renting is beyond me) do you think its best to drop the HAP? Thanks again.

If you qualify for HAP then I would be taking it. I just wouldn't be mentioning it until I was moved in.

Caranica wrote: »
    That's why they've refused you for a whole lot of other reasons. HAP brings complications for landlords that private rentals don't.

Yeah makes sense they wouldnt just flat out say HAP is the problem, reckon i should just suck it up and drop the HAP? Is this happening everywhere or is Ireland just uniquely terrible?

If you qualify for HAP then I would be taking it. I just wouldn't be mentioning it until I was moved in.

Not a bad idea, shouldve kept my mouth shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I expect the pricepoint where you are looking is also a problem. 1k won't get you much in Kildare so there will be a lot of competition for these places. Can you top up your HAP entitlement with your own money? I personally wouldn't mention HAP until you get a viewing somewhere. Also, is the HAP entitlement being assessed under your earnings in isolation or combined with your GF?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Yeah makes sense they wouldnt just flat out say HAP is the problem, reckon i should just suck it up and drop the HAP? Is this happening everywhere or is Ireland just uniquely terrible?

You are not required to disclose in advance that you are in receipt of Hap.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

HAP limit for a single person in kildare is 575, I can't see how it would cover rent of 1000 a month even with flexibility provided

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Not a bad idea, shouldve kept my mouth shut.

Not a great start to a contractual relationship when you immediately afterwards say you want to landlord to comply with HAP standards.

Not a great start to a contractual relationship when you immediately afterwards say you want to landlord to comply with HAP standards.

Thing is though it does start, unlike if he's up front about HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thing is though it does start, unlike if he's up front about HAP.

And people wer why landlords have to be very choosy. Avoiding low income tenants is a safer route

Thankfully managed to get a 2 bedroom house yesterday, 2 bed HAP will pay 600 and the rest will be from me so happy days. Thanks for the help everyone, guess you just have to keep pushing until it happens :D

Advertisement