Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop problems

Options
  • 17-09-2020 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I've a 2010 Mac book pro the last 10 years.ive had a couple of problem
    With it from not turning on too today I was using it and it just switched off.
    I've gotten my value from it and it's time for a new 1.
    How can I recover or get the files/pictures which are saved too it and put them into my new 1 ?
    Any ideas ?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Have a look.

After you remove the HDD out of the laptop, you can use an enclosure to convert it into an external HDD. Here's one that I used in the past.

You can plug the external HDD into another Mac and access the files.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

JoyPad wrote: »
    Have a look.

After you remove the HDD out of the laptop, you can use an enclosure to convert it into an external HDD. Here's one that I used in the past.

You can plug the external HDD into another Mac and access the files.

I have an external hard drive (I think 500gb) so could I put it onto that ? Could a lay person do it or would it be best too get a shop too do it ?

I don't know if you can open safely the external HDD and if it's compatible. The HDD inside your MacBook is a 2.5 inch SATA drive. The external HDD might be same, might be the 3.5 inch SATA, or might be completely proprietary.

If you get a 2.5 inch external enclosure, it will definitely work. To extract your drive, put it into the enclosure and pull data from it is not hard, you should be able to do it yourself. Also, you can actually continue to use your former HDD, maybe for backups, or something. If amazon is not something you want to do, drop into Curry's and maybe you get lucky. I usually try to avoid them, as their staff is utterly incompetent, but you might be able to find something quick.

If you don't want to invest in the enclosure, you can take your MacBook to a store, but it will cost a lot more than the price of the enclosure.

I don't know if you can open safely the external HDD and if it's compatible. The HDD inside your MacBook is a 2.5 inch SATA drive. The external HDD might be same, might be the 3.5 inch SATA, or might be completely proprietary.

If you get a 2.5 inch external enclosure, it will definitely work. To extract your drive, put it into the enclosure and pull data from it is not hard, you should be able to do it yourself. Also, you can actually continue to use your former HDD, maybe for backups, or something. If amazon is not something you want to do, drop into Curry's and maybe you get lucky. I usually try to avoid them, as their staff is utterly incompetent, but you might be able to find something quick.

If you don't want to invest in the enclosure, you can take your MacBook to a store, but it will cost a lot more than the price of the enclosure.

Ok,the old Mac is not turning on so I'm guessing that won't be a problem ?

Ok,the old Mac is not turning on so I'm guessing that won't be a problem ?

No. The HDD is most likely not the reason the Mac doesn't work, and there's a high probability that the data on it is intact.
    Obviously, nobody can guarantee that it will all work, but I'd say the probability is high that not only will you be able to save your data, but the HDD could still be usable for backups after that.

• Advertisement

No. The HDD is most likely not the reason the Mac doesn't work, and there's a high probability that the data on it is intact.
    Obviously, nobody can guarantee that it will all work, but I'd say the probability is high that not only will you be able to save your data, but the HDD could still be usable for backups after that.

Ok thanks.
    I was using the laptop this morning and all was working well.then it just died/switched off/went black.i tried turning it on a few times but the SIL just flashes when I hit the power button.
    So annoying but it's being hit & miss quiet a while now so time too up grade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Ok thanks.
    I was using the laptop this morning and all was working well.then it just died/switched off/went black.i tried turning it on a few times but the SIL just flashes when I hit the power button.
    So annoying but it's being hit & miss quiet a while now so time too up grade

How was the battery before it died? Did you need to keep it plugged in all the time?

Hard to diagnose remotely, but a new battery or similar might just be enough.

kenmm wrote: »
    How was the battery before it died? Did you need to keep it plugged in all the time?

Hard to diagnose remotely, but a new battery or similar might just be enough.

I'd have too keep the laptop plugged in all the time (when in use,once a week maybe )if I unplug it while it's on it would slow down quiet a bit.

Advertisement