Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS5 ready Tv’s/Monitors

• 17-09-2020 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

I know there is an existing thread that was initially set up for the PS4 pro etc but thought with the bookings going live yesterday it might be an idea to set up a thread where people can post TVs or monitors they come across which will allow PS5 owners get the most out of the software.

I’ll need a new tv or monitor anyway but no idea which to go for so be good to hear people’s opinions.

Assume the essential things to look out for are 4K, 120fps capability and 2.1 hdmi?

Anyway, feel free to post up links etc as you come across them. I’ll start searching myself over the coming days and will add them as I see them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not too many monitors yet for HDMI 2.1.

Only ones are so far

Eve spectrum 4k 27" ( about ~$600 but it's a small company so limited stock and international shipping, and also maybe never coming out)
    Acer XV282k KV 28" ( extremely expensive ~$1.3k)
    These are 144Hz

Asus have 3 new models , 27-, 32- and 43-inch from a so far unnamed & not priced line that are HDMI 2.1 and 120Hz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If your wallet is healthy:-

https://powercity.ie/product/48CX5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

.G. wrote: »
    If your wallet is healthy:-

https://powercity.ie/product/48CX5

Have to say, I have a bigger TV in this family of products and it's a cracking TV, really impressed with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Plenty of PC gamers seem to be using that LG as a monitor now too, according to various forums anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭BurnUp78

I saw a few people say that getting a ps5 is a waste if you don't have a 4k monitor/TV. Would people here agree with this? My friend only has a 1080p TV and it seems the cheapest 4k TVs start at around €300-350 and he's not sure he can afford that and a ps5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    I saw a few people say that getting a ps5 is a waste if you don't have a 4k monitor/TV. Would people here agree with this? My friend only has a 1080p TV and it seems the cheapest 4k TVs start at around €300-350 and he's not sure he can afford that and a ps5.

No, some games will be offered at a higher frame rate in 1080p. Perfect for older TVs.
    I would suggest if you were to upgrade, spend the extra to get a TV with hdmi 2.1. the TV will last a lot longer then as it has features like variable refresh rate and 120fps at 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

1080 supersampled resolution at 60fps is still going to look great.

Games seem to offer multiple modes he higher frames rates (limited to 60 for older TV) and possible Ray tracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kema

i am also looking for a 144hz 4k TV (not a monitor)
    any suggestions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

LGs C9 and CX series has HDMI 2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Kema wrote: »
    i am also looking for a 144hz 4k TV (not a monitor)
    any suggestions welcome

I think you only option would be this:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/big-format-gaming-displays/

They aren't TVs, but are TV sized.

I don't think there are any proper TVs, that are 144 hz, the most you can get is 120 hz, and that would the new LG OLEDs, and maybe some of there LCDs. I think maybe some of the new Samsungs as well.

Checkout https://www.rtings.com/ they will give you all the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I need a new TV for PS5 as mine is old and I'm more confused then ever now. I thought I just needed a 4k one. Didn't even know HMDI 2.1 was a thing! I thought the playstation did the frames per second, not the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Various TV support various 50 hz, 60 hz and 120 hz modes.

You ideally want a TV, that can do HDR, 4k @ 120 fps, and some form of variable refresh rate. If a TV has all that, it will have HDMI 2.1, just make sure all the HDMI ports are 2.1.

A lot of the newer high end TVs will support all of the above.

Also, if you are not getting an OLED, and getting some kind of LCD, I would make sure it has good local dimming and a good contrast.

I've ordered a Sony XH90 today.
    It's due to get hdmi 2.1 capability once it gets the Android 11 upgrade.
    I'm ready for this new generation!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kema

im looking at the
    Sony Xh9005 55" Full Array 4K HDR LED Smart Android TV
    it has HDMI 2.1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

HDMI 2.1 isn’t necessary for PS5, says Sony product manager

https://www.techradar.com/news/hdmi-21-isnt-necessary-for-ps5-says-sony-product-manager

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    HDMI 2.1 isn’t necessary for PS5, says Sony product manager

https://www.techradar.com/news/hdmi-21-isnt-necessary-for-ps5-says-sony-product-manager

Not necessary but I'm happier upgrading to a TV with it and not having to upgrade for a long long time again.
    Also, variable refresh rate is a pretty good feature to have in a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Can't be affording this at mo given I've just put order in for ps5, but on my list is to upgrade tv, current one still working fine but over 10 years old now! What kind of price range would you be expecting to pay? Probably be looking for around 40 inch size or slightly bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Can't be affording this at mo given I've just put order in for ps5, but on my list is to upgrade tv, current one still working fine but over 10 years old now! What kind of price range would you be expecting to pay? Probably be looking for around 40 inch size or slightly bigger

Probably helps to do research at home and be certain of what you want in terms in features and size. Or you'll do what I did and go in expecting to spend ~800 and end up spending twice that on something shiny I found instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

RedXIV wrote: »
    Probably helps to do research at home and be certain of what you want in terms in features and size. Or you'll do what I did and go in expecting to spend ~800 and end up spending twice that on something shiny I found instead :D

My research is asking the experts- the boards.ie crew ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

The richersounds guys on here seem to be a great help with any queries you may have, they have their own forum over HERE

I will be upgrading my TV for my bedroom fairly soon, great that it is tying in with the PS5 release. I play FPS on a 27" monitor thats just 1080p, but for single player games ill be playing it on the big TV. Will be keeping a close eye on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Assuming i can find a ps5, ill be playing on my not too old samsung.
    A UE49NU8070.
    Wont do 8k, but id say be good enough for my needs.
    Plus i wear glasses, my eyes arent 4k :P
    Does have hdr1000 but not the usb 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BurnUp78 wrote: »

I would disagree. Graphics will still be better. New games will look better. Interface will be better. It'll have exclusives. Having said all that, I'm waiting a year :pac:

Going from PS2 to PS3 was a HD upgrade so you really needed at a min, a HD ready TV to appreciate the graphics. Obviously a better TV will look better up to your budget limits but a min you really needed HD ready 720p.

For PS5 what's the min? Is it 4K to really apperciate the visuals? Will PS5 games basically looks like PS4 if you just have a 1080p lcd?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Going from PS2 to PS3 was a HD upgrade so you really needed at a min, a HD ready TV to appreciate the graphics. Obviously a better TV will look better up to your budget limits but a min you really needed HD ready 720p.

For PS5 what's the min? Is it 4K to really apperciate the visuals? Will PS5 games basically looks like PS4 if you just have a 1080p lcd?

Of course not, there's far more to visuals than just resolution.

I looked at a side by side comparison of ps4 v ps5 on YouTube and yes, big difference - even on my tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Kema wrote:
    im looking at the Sony Xh9005 55" Full Array 4K HDR LED Smart Android TV it has HDMI 2.1

Worried how my TV will cope with the PS5 its a 4k Ultra HD HDR but only 50 HZ picture quality. Sorry now I know nothing about TVs. Reckon it should be ok? Thanks all

This is what I currently have for the PS4.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sharp-4t-c40bj5kf2fb-40-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10192712-pdt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Worried how my TV will cope with the PS5 its a 4k Ultra HD HDR but only 50 HZ picture quality. Sorry now I know nothing about TVs. Reckon it should be ok? Thanks all

This is what I currently have for the PS4.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sharp-4t-c40bj5kf2fb-40-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10192712-pdt.html

It'll be fine. There is no absolute requirement to upgrade your tv. Just cos the PS5 can utilize the fancy features of new tv's it doesn't mean it won't run fine on old ones too. The vast vast majority of people will be using it on their existing TV's.

I'll be upgrading to a newer TV when I can but no qualms using my current 4K 60hz LG until I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

.G. wrote:
    I'll be upgrading to a newer TV when I can but no qualms using my current 4K 60hz LG until I do.

Thanks man appreciate it.

Going to keep an eye out and upgrade eventually. Happier now as read that even tho my TV is 50HZ it will support 60HZ also.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

I tend to look at "What HI FI" website/magazine for reviews and comparison of anything TV related.it would be near impossible for me to stray from Sony tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Any recommendations for a 43" tv?

Advertisement