Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS5 ready Tv’s/Monitors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Motion interpolation (motion xcelerator turbo) generally makes things worse. If the scene is fast paced then doubly so.

It has duplication and artefacts that show up and can make things look kinda blurry or like they're smeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Varik wrote: »
    Motion interpolation (motion xcelerator turbo) generally makes things worse. If the scene is fast paced then doubly so.

It has duplication and artefacts that show up and can make things look kinda blurry or like they're smeared.

This has been my experience with watching tv broadcasts, particularly sports, when these types of image processes are enabled.

But it just had me curious as they appear to be exclusively marketing the feature towards gamers so I was wondering does it actually lead to smoother gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

On a similar topic, does anybody have any recommendations for move budget TVs for a PS5?

I’ve no plan to go down the LG CX route anytime soon but do need a tv for a bedroom. Given the space, I’m looking at max 43-50 inch (preferably 43) which I know hamstrings further. Currently looking at the 2020 Samsung range, LG’s from there appear to have some dull colour reviews and Sony are always a little pricier and less features so I’d be happy to hear anyone’s experiences with sub high end TVs. Budget probably in the 4-500 range, will stretch if it’s worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    On a similar topic, does anybody have any recommendations for move budget TVs for a PS5?

I’ve no plan to go down the LG CX route anytime soon but do need a tv for a bedroom. Given the space, I’m looking at max 43-50 inch (preferably 43) which I know hamstrings further. Currently looking at the 2020 Samsung range, LG’s from there appear to have some dull colour reviews and Sony are always a little pricier and less features so I’d be happy to hear anyone’s experiences with sub high end TVs. Budget probably in the 4-500 range, will stretch if it’s worth it though.

Samsung Q60t are around €600 if you can stretch to that?

Buy an LG if the room requires a wider viewing angle and a Samsung if it's more straight (or if people won't be sitting in odd positions) on as it'd have better blacks.

under 500 it's pretty linear on value vs cost, you spend a little more you get a little more.

You'd be going on last years models so limiting it to Samsung. Big jumps only get seen after that.

TU8000/8500 to Q60t get's a lot brighter.
    Q60T to Q70T get's 120hz + VRR
    Q70T to Q80T you get local dimming.

Q80 is the last TV model you can get that has one under 50".

LG vs Samsung are pretty much going to align on the way up, main difference is the panel type and how that effects viewing angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Buy an LG if the room requires a wider viewing angle and a Samsung if it's more straight (or if people won't be sitting in odd positions) on as it'd have better blacks.

under 500 it's pretty linear on value vs cost, you spend a little more you get a little more.

You'd be going on last years models so limiting it to Samsung. Big jumps only get seen after that.

TU8000/8500 to Q60t get's a lot brighter.
    Q60T to Q70T get's 120hz + VRR
    Q70T to Q80T you get local dimming.

Q80 is the last TV model you can get that has one under 50".

LG vs Samsung are pretty much going to align on the way up, main difference is the panel type and how that effects viewing angle.

The Q60t 120hz is only available for the 55"

duploelabs wrote: »
    The Q60t 120hz is only available for the 55"

You're thinking about the year before last.

The 2019 Q60R had 120Hz + VRR for 55" and up but the Q60T for 2020 doesn't have 120Hz at all.

This years Q60A doesn't have it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Hi,

Currently in the market for a monitor for my ps5, looking at around 28inch or so in the price range of circa 250-300 euro. Quick note: I've a one for all voucher for 200 which I'd be using so that would narrow down potential options to the usual Irish stores etc.

Currently looking at something like this,

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/samsung-lu28r550uquxen-4k-ultra-hd-28-led-monitor-dark-grey-10207961-pdt.html

Any suggestions for better versions etc. ? Thanks

Argos here but you're not going to find much at that price in a B&M shop, and at the 4 models they mostly the same display just with different SOC driving them.

ASUS TUF VG279QR €337.59 only 1080p with speakers but is HDR400 and 165Hz

It's not 4k but you might be better off getting a 1080p with minimal HDR support vs 4k with none/fake HDR support.

Also capable of higher refresh rates

Looking for a Samsung 85inch tv my budget is €2500 and needs to support HDMI 2.1 and 120hz or higher can someone help me find on on Harvey normans or curry’s please and thank you

• Advertisement

tajd wrote: »
    Looking for a Samsung 85inch tv my budget is €2500 and needs to support HDMI 2.1 and 120hz or higher can someone help me find on on Harvey normans or curry’s please and thank you

Not many 2020 TVs at this stage, and there's at those sizes the panel type changes a lot between models.

2021 75" Q70A ( the next model up might not be a total upgrade so Q70A probably better)

2020 75" / 85" Q80T if you can find one.

2021 NEO QLED, the Q85A and up use a new back light which is a huge jump but you're not getting above 65" and that's still above budget.

models lower than that you're not getting 120Hz / VRR or any of the gaming beneficial stuff.

I'd either get the 65" Q85A for a bit more or wait and try to get it or the 75" during sales, maybe even 85" if you wait long enough.

Not many 2020 TVs at this stage, and there's at those sizes the panel type changes a lot between models.

2021 75" Q70A ( the next model up might not be a total upgrade so Q70A probably better)

2020 75" / 85" Q80T if you can find one.

2021 NEO QLED, the Q85A and up use a new back light which is a huge jump but you're not getting above 65" and that's still above budget.

models lower than that you're not getting 120Hz / VRR or any of the gaming beneficial stuff.

I'd either get the 65" Q85A for a bit more or wait and try to get it or the 75" during sales, maybe even 85" if you wait long enough.

Ended up buying the 85 inch Samsung AU8000 in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

What would be the best OLED in the 1000-1400 range ?

Richersounds have the followning options:
    Philips 55OLED705
    LG OLED55BX6LA
    LG OLED55A16LA
    LG OLED55CX5LB

Tried looking up the difference on rtings but it went over my head which makes me think the Philips would make sense as that's the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Gyan84 wrote: »

Philips 55OLED705
    LG OLED55BX6LA
    LG OLED55A16LA
    LG OLED55CX5LB

Tried looking up the difference on rtings but it went over my head which makes me think the Philips would make sense as that's the cheapest.

Invest in the CX. Brightest of the bunch with the best processing.

Stay away from the A1 as it’s just a cut down version of the BX.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Conar

Philips 55OLED705
    LG OLED55BX6LA
    LG OLED55A16LA
    LG OLED55CX5LB

The Philips doesn't have HDMI 2.1, and so no 4k 120fps.
    It would be mad to spend so much and not have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Yeah ended up going with the LG CX as richersounds had it on offer.

Should be a big upgrade on my old 1080p tv I have been using.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Yeah ended up going with the LG CX as richersounds had it on offer.

Should be a big upgrade on my old 1080p tv I have been using.

Read back a few pages and you'll realize that this thread is basically a CX thread and 99% of people who bought it swear by it. I got the 48" version and love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I got the BX and can't fault it, not that much difference than the CX if you are looking to save a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

petes wrote: »
    I got the BX and can't fault it, not that much difference than the CX if you are looking to save a bit

I have the BX myself, it's great for what I need....

Just something to say for OLED in general (or Mico LED if your budget had an extra few zeroes in it).

For most content the new mini LED TV (NEO QLED Q85 and up ect) are practically as good as a OLED but a lot lot brighter (so good for well lit rooms), the big issue for gaming is that while a TV is in gaming mode a lot of the features that make the TV almost as good for contrast and blacks are actually off or minimized to allow those low lag numbers.

The local dimming from a Mini LED is great but it's usually in a simplified mode while in gaming mode, unlike an OLED which don't have a separate step to control local dimming as each pixel is doing it inherently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

Friend of mine picked up a ps5 but is still rocking an older 1080p tv. She's looking for something in the sub 1k range, preferably something 45 inch or less as she moves apartments a few times a year and doesn't want the hassle of hiring a van just because of her TV.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭brady12

Can any LG or CX owners suggest good head phones for watching TV ( not gaming )with a LG CX . Mostly for watching matches . I have good headsets for consoles. Not really right place to ask but I trust yer opinions ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Any of the top tier bluetooth headphones would be a good fit. I use my Bose QC35s for watching stuff as well as PS5 gaming, would recommend, the Sony MX series would be excellent too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I use my Sony wh-1000xm3s and they link up without an issue for when I'm up late or whatever. I've only used it for watching films and TV, as usually when I'm on PS5 I just hook up headphones directly to the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Bose 700s are brill too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭brady12

Do ye use them with LG CX?

If using any Bluetooth head/earphones make sure they and the tv support a low latency mode.

Notting worse that audio and video being out of sync.

If the TV doesn't then you can buy a separate Bluetooth transmittor, but doing the same for headphones while generally possible isn't ideal.

aptX LL or Adaptive for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

brady12 wrote: »

I have used steel series and seinheiser momentum 2 on the LGCX. No real issues, although i havent used them in a while as i just bought a sonos beam and use that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Danick wrote: »
    Bose 700s are brill too

Plus 1 for them here as well! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

brady12 wrote: »

I do, love the two!

Advertisement