Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publication of RTB 2019 Report

Options
  • 17-09-2020 6:30pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Residential Tenancies Board snuck their 2019 Annual report out the door last week- with little/no fanfare.

Location here: https://www.rtb.ie/images/uploads/Comms%20and%20Research/RTB_2019_Annual_Report_English.pdf

All discussion on the report to be here please.

Note: I would have loaded a copy of the report- however, its an extended report and actually breaches the file size allowed by Boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

I think thats what is known as a "soft launch".

Its what I have come to expect with the RTB annual report. Its main aim is to set out how much work it does and claim how wonderful it is. Statistics are manipulated to mask what is really happening. I was not expecting the number of RTB registrations to increase, but they say its now at a record high level. Of course, the 28,000 student specific residences which were counted in 2019 but not included in previous years, is probably a small factor hidden in the footnotes. The number of private residency applications/renewals fell by 3000.

Sadly, its out of date by the time its published. The media are positively glowing with reports of excess house-share availability in Dublin and downward pressure on rents. Nobody is the slightest bit concerned about the erosion of our rental stock, least of all the body that should be most concerned about it. Every year I read this RTB advert for themselves I grow more cynical.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It is a rather glossy sycophantic publication- heavy on random graphics- and difficult to navigate to actual information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 was enacted
    "WITH THE AIM OF ALLOWING DISPUTES BETWEEN SUCH PARTIES TO BE RESOLVED CHEAPLY AND SPEEDILY, FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A BODY TO BE KNOWN AS AN BORD UM THIONÓNTACHTAÍ CÓNAITHE PRÍOBHÁIDEACHA OR, IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THE PRIVATE RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES BOARD AND THE CONFERRAL ON IT OF POWERS AND FUNCTIONS OF A LIMITED NATURE IN RELATION TO THE RESOLUTION OF SUCH DISPUTES,"

That report shows how far away it is from that aim. The legislation has been amended climate of number and has become more complicated and convoluted with the passing years. Legislation which should be accessible and intelligible to anybody with a Leaving Certificate has been described many years ago as being incredibly complicated by a High Court Judge and this before numerous even more complicated and convoluted amendments.
    The whole situation is an ungodly mess which seems only benefit a certain small cohort who make a living from disputes, rather than the landlords and tenants who are the parties to leases.

Advertisement