Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is it to build a PC

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ryzen 2000 Series is the Zen+ architecture
    Ryzen 3000 Series is the newer Zen 2 architecture

Ryzen 5 are typically 6 core CPUs
    Ryzen 7 are typically 8 core CPUs

The Ryzen 2700X is an older CPU but with more cores. It's not as fast as the 3600 in games (at 1080p) if that's all you're doing but if you're streaming it may be better. Both CPUs will give good frame rates in gaming and the reason for the 2700X in this build is it's just really good value for money.

A 3600 can be added to the above build for a tenner so it might be worth it if raw FPS is whats wanted.

Ok cool, thanks for the explanation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

ITEM DESCRIPTION QTY PRICE ITEM TOTAL

AWD MB520 ARGB Ryzen 7 2700X Nvidia GTX 1660 Super 16GB RAM Desktop Gaming PC
    FL520-M50-4ED4
    Options:
    • Choose your Build Time: Standard Build Time - 7-10 Working days (Mon - Fri) (+£39.99)
    • Choose your Case: Phanteks P400 Air White DRGB (+£4.95)
    • Choose Your Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (+£34.95)
    • Choose your Graphics Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB
    • Choose your PSU: Coolermaster 500W 80 Plus MWE
    • Upgrade your Ryzen CPU (3600): AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core 4.35Ghz
    • Choose your Corsair DDR4 Memory: Corsair Vengeance BLACK LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz (+£8.95)
    • Upgrade your CPU Cooling: Corsair H45 120mm Liquid Cooler (+£19.99)
    • Choose your Primary Hard Drive: Adata SX6000 Pro 1TB NVME M.2 SSD - Read 2100MB/s , Write 1500MB/s (+£89.99)
    • Choose your Secondary Hard Drive: No Drive
    • Choose your Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64 Bit - Installed and Fully Optimised (+£89.99)
    • Choose Your Internet Security Package: BullGuard™ Internet Security - 90-Day Free Trial
    • Choose your Wifi: Tenda 300MBps Internal Wifi Card (+£10.99)
    • Choose your Keyboard and Mouse: No Keyboard and Mouse
    1 £849.79 £849.79

Subtotal £849.79
    VAT 20% £141.63
    Shipping £12.99

Total £862.78

Hi all, OP here. We pulled the trigger on this last night. Thanks again for the expertise and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Enjoy! That should keep you going for a long time and has a great upgrade path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Bit late now but you could easily have saved £90 on Windows and put it into a better graphics card - Windows works forever without activation with just a tiny watermark, and AWD install Windows even if you buy the machine without it, it just isn't activated.

Also on the 2700X v 3600 debate (I don't mean the OP's situation, just the general discussion), there is more to it then than the 3600 being a better gaming CPU if it's a machine you plan keeping for a few years.

The 2700X is a better productivity or streaming CPU as it's 8 core/16 thread versus the 6/12 configuration of the 3600.

Also have to remember that the new console generation is based around Zen 8 core/16 thread processors, so that will directly translate well for the 2700X over the coming years.

It is a bit like how the K series of i5 processors were faster than the i7's in games around 2013-2015, but years later, the i7's came around to being much better in games due to the extra threads, where the i5's struggled.

So really there is no right/wrong answer in my opinion. Just a decision you have to make yourself about what works best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Plagiarising this build with slight changes!

Am I making any major mistakes here?

AWD MB520 ARGB Ryzen 7 2700X Nvidia GTX 1660 Super 16GB RAM Desktop Gaming PC
    1 x £853.80

Choose your Build Time: Standard Build Time - 7-10 Working days (Mon - Fri) (+£39.99)

Choose your Case: Phanteks P400 Air Black DRGB (+£4.95)

Choose Your Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (+£34.95)

Choose your Graphics Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB

Choose your PSU: Coolermaster 500W 80 Plus MWE

Upgrade your Ryzen CPU (3600): AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core 4.35Ghz

Choose your Corsair DDR4 Memory: Corsair Vengeance BLPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz (+£66.95)

Upgrade your CPU Cooling: AMD Ryzen Prism RGB Cooler

Choose your Primary Hard Drive: Adata SX8200 Pro 512GB NVME M.2 SSD - Read 3500MB/s , Write 3000MB/s (+£49.99)

Choose your Secondary Hard Drive: No Drive

Choose your Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64 Bit - Installed and Fully Optimised (+£89.99)

Choose Your Internet Security Package: BullGuard™ Internet Security - 90-Day Free Trial

Choose your Wifi: Asus 300mbps Internal Wifi Card (+£16.99)

Choose your Keyboard and Mouse: No Keyboard and Mouse

• Advertisement

Dont buy it with windows, install it off a USB key yourself.

32GB RAM with only 500GB of SSD seems a bit inbalanced - what are you using it for?

Dont buy it with windows, install it off a USB key yourself.

32GB RAM with only 500GB of SSD seems a bit inbalanced - what are you using it for?

Amateur music production and gaming (mostly counter strike 1.6, don’t laugh!)

I could remove windows and increase to 1tb?

murdog! wrote: »
    Amateur music production and gaming (mostly counter strike 1.6, don’t laugh!)

I could remove windows and increase to 1tb?

I would.

You can download and install windows 10 for free. If you must activate it - buy a key of adverts for a fiver.

I also suggest a better wifi card. Theres a dual band internal one 1200Mbit.

I would.

You can download and install windows 10 for free. If you must activate it - buy a key of adverts for a fiver.

I also suggest a better wifi card. Theres a dual band internal one 1200Mbit.

Cheers thanks for the advice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

prices seem high were did you buy it power supply is small if you want to update new gpu is 300 watts

make sure you read were to put memory slots
    as it will make speed differsncr

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    prices seem high were did you buy it power supply is small if you want to update new gpu is 300 watts

make sure you read were to put memory slots
    as it will make speed differsncr

I’m getting it built by AWD, what power supply would you recommend?

300W for a GPU is near the top end. If you see your self doing that then get the 750W. If you're going to keep the one that's in it 500W is enough. For £19.95 I might get the 650W non-modular if I really wanted to cover myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

The power supply is fine unless you plan going out and buying a €700 GPU.

Do get it without Windows. AWD do install Windows, it just won't be activated. You can use it forever not activated, or else get a key for €5 off Ebay. Either way, don't drop €100 on your budget on Windows.

As stated it would cover a bump up to a 1TB SSD and better WiFi card.

Thanks for all the advice, updated as below, will pull the trigger shortly!

1 x £847.76
    Choose your Build Time: Standard Build Time - 7-10 Working days (Mon - Fri) (+£39.99)

Choose your Case: Phanteks P400 Air Black DRGB (+£4.95)

Choose Your Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (+£34.95)

Choose your Graphics Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB

Choose your PSU: Corsair CV650 Bronze Rated (+£19.95)

Upgrade your Ryzen CPU (3600): AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core 4.35Ghz

Choose your Corsair DDR4 Memory: Corsair Vengeance BLPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz (+£66.95)

Upgrade your CPU Cooling: AMD Ryzen Prism RGB Cooler

Choose your Primary Hard Drive: Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB NVME M.2 SSD - Read 3500MB/s , Write 3000MB/s (+£109.99)

Choose your Secondary Hard Drive: No Drive

Choose your Operating System: None

Choose Your Internet Security Package: BullGuard™ Internet Security - 90-Day Free Trial

Choose your Wifi: 1200Mbps Dual Band Internal Dual Antenna Wifi Card (+£20.99)

Choose your Keyboard and Mouse: No Keyboard and Mouse

I'd remove that internet security bloatware.

Tasty machine :)

I'd remove that internet security bloatware.

Tasty machine :)

Cheers will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yeah first thing I removed when ordering my build online was the crappy free anti-V trial. Honestly, windows defender does a better job without any weird issues. Very nice build overall - enjoy

Advertisement