Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimpy in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

I read someone called Reid had the Wimpy. Was he the man who used to go around the tables asking if everything was all right. I think he may have been american .Think tall with a beard if i am not mistaken.I used to go with my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

I read someone called Reid had the Wimpy. Was he the man who used to go around the tables asking if everything was all right. I think he may have been american .Think tall with a beard if i am not mistaken.I used to go with my friend

That sounds like Gene Rohan,but he definitely isn't American :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I remember when there was a kentucky down in O Connell Street

Jesus i miss those breasts of chicken

Mid nineties opened circa 94.. just as the nightlife was moving away from Breens, Metroland, Roxy etc.. and towards the other side of town. Bad timing.

Snorlaxx wrote: »
    Where subway is?

No at the very end where the sex shop is now.

I seem to remember it at the end of the same block that the bridge hotel is on and not that far down
    I think there's a gym on the spot now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

aziz wrote: »
    I seem to remember it at the end of the same block that the bridge hotel is on and not that far down
    I think there's a gym on the spot now

And you’d be correct, that’s where I remember it too.

Thank god for that, thought the days of getting free drugs in the drink in the bridge affected my memory ��

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

The original Wimpy back in the early 70’s was near where Cex is, I remember being in there for my communion, the burgers were unreal and the chips even better, but the best part was the knickerbocker glory’s

My favourite place for a burger was the French Fryer, located where Liberty Blue is

Does anyone remember the Emerald Isle? The mince and onion pies and sausage rolls were homemade and were unreal, owner by the Dunne family, straight across from the Regina

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

jimbojazz wrote: »
    The original Wimpy back in the early 70’s was near where Cex is, I remember being in there for my communion, the burgers were unreal and the chips even better, but the best part was the knickerbocker glory’s

My favourite place for a burger was the French Fryer, located where Liberty Blue is

Does anyone remember the Emerald Isle? The mince and onion pies and sausage rolls were homemade and were unreal, owner by the Dunne family, straight across from the Regina

unrael bai....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I could be imagining things but when Travelodge opened was there a Wimpy in where Rockin Joes is now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I could be imagining things but when Travelodge opened was there a Wimpy in where Rockin Joes is now?

Used to be a little chef

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Used to be a little chef

Wasn’t it also an Eddie Rockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Found this on Facebook. Wimpy, just at the front of where City Sq. Is now. The Knickerbocker Glory ice cream is what I remember most about it :)

527039.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

AMGer wrote: »
    Found this on Facebook. Wimpy, just at the front of where City Sq. Is now. The Knickerbocker Glory ice cream is what I remember most about it :)

That photo takes me back. Sullys snooker club around the corner. No city square (only opened mid 1993). Open air car park on the far LHS of Arundel Sq.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

So the wimpy was where the brasserie was?

This explains a lot. i always remembered the wimpy but it closed when i was young. In my late teens and 20s i used often be in the brasserie and id feel like i have been here before or like deja vu. That must have been the reason

Wimpy is still an entity I believe, I have definitely seen them in other countries in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The Brasserie! Havent thought about that place in years..wasnt there a really loud and bubbly blond guy who was a waiter down there for years?? He is literally the only thing i remember about the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

The Brasserie! Havent thought about that place in years..wasnt there a really loud and bubbly blond guy who was a waiter down there for years?? He is literally the only thing i remember about the place!
    Trevor?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

dzilla wrote: »
    So the wimpy was where the brasserie was?

This explains a lot. i always remembered the wimpy but it closed when i was young. In my late teens and 20s i used often be in the brasserie and id feel like i have been here before or like deja vu. That must have been the reason

Wimpy is still an entity I believe, I have definitely seen them in other countries in recent years.

Still at least some in the UK

https://wimpy.uk.com/

Doesn't look too bad for fast food in fairness.

Bring back the Wimpy.

527039.jpeg

Finns camera shop and teleport computers was on the Peter Street side of that building

527039.jpeg

Mid eighties that red brick building to the far right was Finns camera and computer shop and the entrance to the snooker place was in there too. Opposite woolies which had a closing down sale in the late 80s..

Finns i think went to michael street after that for a few years. Opposite leahys i think.

Finns were a time capsule even in their day... ancient video games for early 8 bit computers.. all full priced.. almost never discounted. I would love to know what happened their stock when they closed up.

• Advertisement

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Mid eighties that red brick building to the far right was Finns camera and computer shop and the entrance to the snooker place was in there too. Opposite woolies which had a closing down sale in the late 80s..

Finns i think went to michael street after that for a few years. Opposite leahys i think.

Leahys was on Mayors Walk, you are thinking of Greers. You are spot on thou, there’s a charity shop in there now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭webpal

I very vaguely remember that place, and its after triggering a memory of another fast food type cafe that maybe someone can help me name.
    I remember a greasy spoon type spot where you could sit down and have burgers and chips, during break time when I was in school. it was located where the Foundry is now, or somewhere very near there. Very nice food and not one of the most populated lunch time spots so you had a decent amount of time there.

I wish i could remember the name but its gone, did that place exist or am i just dreaming??

There used to be a place in the alley behind Kentucky and Beefy. Cant remember the same but I remember the day it opened. Not for the 25p bag of chips but for all the lads from St Declans who came back with 4 bags each :) You wouldn't get that in a school nowadays! I'd say that was mid 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Finns were a time capsule even in their day... ancient video games for early 8 bit computers.. all full priced.. almost never discounted. I would love to know what happened their stock when they closed up.

Yes, I remember their shop really was antiquated back then. They were the first in Waterford to have Starfox for the Super Nintendo, it was an American copy so you had to get the converter for it as well. They quoted a customer 110 pounds for a copy.

Used to feel like a criminal every time I set foot in Finns the way the old man would stare at you, the wife aswell :) Everything behind a locked cabinet.

Used to feel like a criminal every time I set foot in Finns the way the old man would stare at you, the wife aswell :) Everything behind a locked cabinet aswell.

It wasn’t just me then😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

magick wrote: »
    Yes, I remember their shop really was antiquated back then. They were the first in Waterford to have Starfox for the Super Nintendo, it was an American copy so you had to get the converter for it as well. They quoted a customer 110 pounds for a copy.

Only for Teleport in Georges court, we would all have been getting screwed for years in Finns. You would ask him a question about a new game and he would spoof trying to say he knew it or what games were popular :D

Its a pity Teleport didn't last as long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Only for Teleport in Georges court, we would all have been getting screwed for years in Finns. You would ask him a question about a new game and he would spoof trying to say he knew it or what games were popular :D

Teleport and Toymaster were great shops in Georges Court,head down to Shaws then to the cafe upstairs for an ice cream float ,simpler times...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

These places were before my time. Were the likes of Whimpy, Burgerland, Beefy, owned businesses that were only in Waterford? Which one was the most popular and would they be open later into the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Does anyone remember getting lunch in Skippers on Patrick Street?? Jesus, for a pound you got a massive bag of chips, 2 huge sausages and a can of coke. It was fantastic value and an under-rated gem. I wonder what made it close.

• Advertisement

Phelans butcher shop just across from George’s Court, one of the lads in there used to sell copied Amiga games :)

Advertisement