Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimpy in Waterford

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Where was burgerland does anyone remember?

Was it where Dealz was or somewhere on that street

Have a horrible childhood memory that I always associated with the Wimpy but having seen that's where the Brasserie was from the pic in this thread I must have been mistaken. Would have been 1989/1990.

On a positive note fond memories of Finn's and getting games for my **** cool Amstrad 6128+ computer. They were the only shop in Waterford selling them as far as I can recall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

lassykk wrote: »
    Where was burgerland does anyone remember?

Was it where Dealz was or somewhere on that street

Have a horrible childhood memory that I always associated with the Wimpy but having seen that's where the Brasserie was from the pic in this thread I must have been mistaken. Would have been 1989/1990.

On a positive note fond memories of Finn's and getting games for my **** cool Amstrad 6128+ computer. They were the only shop in Waterford selling them as far as I can recall

Nevermind. Google has confirmed it was Burgerland

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Came across this by chance. Film footage/RTE news feature dating from 1985 showing city centre streets. Its about 5 mins long so you get to see a good bit of footage. The Wimpy pops up around 2m23.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21213424-waterford-inner-city-aid/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Does anyone remember getting lunch in Skippers on Patrick Street?? Jesus, for a pound you got a massive bag of chips, 2 huge sausages and a can of coke. It was fantastic value and an under-rated gem. I wonder what made it close.

To the best of my Knowledge the owner passed away late 90s and the family had vested into a lot of other catering / restaurants and they did not keep the chipper on as a going concern, so it was an organic enough closure. The family still own the property and next door where momo is now all the way back to boston cleaners. They also own ginos pizza but I am open to correction.

It is sad in a way though that we don't seem to have that many institutionalized chippers in town from the old days that people long for. I am thinking something similar to Burdocks in Dublin, Lennox in Cork or Flanagans in Galway. Johnny Walkers is probably the longest running one , Dooleys also but it is young enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Came across this by chance. Film footage/RTE news feature dating from 1985 showing city centre streets. Its about 5 mins long so you get to see a good bit of footage. The Wimpy pops up around 2m23.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21213424-waterford-inner-city-aid/

Jaysus Id forgotten what the city centre used to look like, it was a real kip back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

dzilla wrote: »
    To the best of my Knowledge the owner passed away late 90s and the family had vested into a lot of other catering / restaurants and they did not keep the chipper on as a going concern, so it was an organic enough closure. The family still own the property and next door where momo is now all the way back to boston cleaners. They also own ginos pizza but I am open to correction.

It is sad in a way though that we don't seem to have that many institutionalized chippers in town from the old days that people long for. I am thinking something similar to Burdocks in Dublin, Lennox in Cork or Flanagans in Galway. Johnny Walkers is probably the longest running one , Dooleys also but it is young enough.

Thanks for the info. I have fond memories of Skippers from the school lunch times. Some value for only a pound!
    Yes i think its really only Walkers is a long established chipper now. Ballybricken takeaway is there a while now but the previous owner i think is up by the Mercy school. Not 100% on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,391 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

shockwave wrote:
    Jaysus Id forgotten what the city centre used to look like, it was a real kip back then.

Ah shur ireland was a bit of a back water back then, we ve made astonishing progress since then, something to be very proud of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Thanks for the info. I have fond memories of Skippers from the school lunch times. Some value for only a pound!
    Yes i think its really only Walkers is a long established chipper now. Ballybricken takeaway is there a while now but the previous owner i think is up by the Mercy school. Not 100% on that though.
    Yeah, Angelo from Ballybricken take-away moved and set up to the Marian.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah shur ireland was a bit of a back water back then, we ve made astonishing progress since then, something to be very proud of

Agreed Waterford has come a long way since that footage. Its a much easier on the eye. Think of John Roberts Sq, Viking Triangle, no sheds on the Quay - replaced with the Plaza etc. Nothing is perfect but its a nice compact city with much more shops & service than the mid 80's. Now if we could only get rid of the ol' Covid...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I read someone called Reid had the Wimpy. Was he the man who used to go around the tables asking if everything was all right. I think he may have been american .Think tall with a beard if i am not mistaken.I used to go with my friend

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21213095-waterford-united-fc/

Eamonn Reid - Jump to 1:21 of that film. Thats the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

bullpost wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21213095-waterford-united-fc/

Eamonn Reid - Jump to 1:21 of that film. Thats the man.

He used to own The old Stand & T&H's before the recession hit hard and his brother used to own Eagans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Agreed Waterford has come a long way since that footage. Its a much easier on the eye. Think of John Roberts Sq, Viking Triangle, no sheds on the Quay - replaced with the Plaza etc. Nothing is perfect but its a nice compact city with much more shops & service than the mid 80's. Now if we could only get rid of the ol' Covid...

yet you'd be led to believe on facebook that they've ruined the town, the towns gone to the dogs, the town has no character, the traffic system is all fuked up ....the list is endless what people complain about on there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

yet you'd be led to believe on facebook that they've ruined the town, the towns gone to the dogs, the town has no character, the traffic system is all fuked up ....the list is endless what people complain about on there

Nostalgia is a funny thing. The nightlife was pretty good back then so that is probably colouring peoples memories.

Advertisement