Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berry wine

Options
  • 17-09-2020 11:02pm

Anybody got any experience with black/elderberry wine ?
    Hoping to do my first batch over the weekend (if I get all my equipment).
    First time brewing anything and there's so much conflicting information online!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Anybody got any experience with black/elderberry wine ?
    Hoping to do my first batch over the weekend (if I get all my equipment).
    First time brewing anything and there's so much conflicting information online!

I made a Blackberry/elderberry mix last year. I also added a litre of Tesco cherry juice. It turned out delicious.

Sounds good mordeith!
    Can I ask if you boiled and removed the berries before primary fermentation or left them in ?
    Also when I transfer to the carboy do I need to keep that at 20c until bottling ?

Doesnt look like I'll have my yeast until monday :(

Sounds good mordeith!
    Can I ask if you boiled and removed the berries before primary fermentation or left them in ?
    Also when I transfer to the carboy do I need to keep that at 20c until bottling ?

Doesnt look like I'll have my yeast until monday :(

I tend to take a fairly simple approach to any hedgerow wines. I froze the berries and then let them thaw out before juicing (I have a small soft fruit press). The freeze/thaw helps release more juice. Then add boiling water and sugar and leave for 3/4 days before straining into a demijohnn. Rack after a month or so. Of course there's other ingredients as well but that's just a rough idea above. Temperature isn't overly important, just ensure you get the initial fermentation started. After that keep it in a room with a fairly stable temp but don't let get too cold obviously.

One more question for you!

After secondary fermentation you rack it..
    Into another demijon/carboy and then leave it with an airlock again ?
    I've only got a large bucket and one carboy 5gallon I believe.
    the gallon stuff is very annoying ,just give me litres !

I do the initial few days in a 5l bucket and then transfer to demijohnn with airlock. After initial settling period (couple months on average) I rack to another demijohnn with airlock. Occasionally might rack one more time depending on how clear the wine is. Then bottle and leave to age.

• Advertisement
Advertisement