Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haleyoshea

Had my interview yesterday and they told me I should get the result by the end of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SeanOS92

Where you in batch 1.2 or 1.3 ?
    haleyoshea wrote: »
    Had my interview yesterday and they told me I should get the result by the end of next week

SeanOS92 wrote: »
    Where you in batch 1.2 or 1.3 ?

I've no idea I can't find where it says it... Because it doesn't say it in any email

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Maelenn

Ddk2020 wrote: »
    Can I ask if anyone has started their post as an AO, if so how are they finding the role so far. Did you receive training / induction etc as I’m wondering how the process in going in terms of working from home.

I started somewhat recently.
    First day you will go to the office to get your laptop, ID card and will have a very brief intro on your pc. In the afternoon, you will have a call with hr and everyone else that started the same day. They will go over the most important stuff and ask you to sign a bunch of documents (some departments are asking people to sign stuff before they start). After this, your manager will give you a call to meet you and explain your unit.
    For my first week, I’ve been reading a lot to get up to date on my unit. Have had some calls with my colleagues, who better explained the job.
    I had another brief call from hr about basic systems and will have another one on the cloud solution they use. It’s definitely easier if you know your way around computers. I’ve seen people struggling with it already.

Obs1: people wear everything from smart casual to business casual. Some men wear suits and ties for the first day.
    Obs2: they don’t have any idea when we might go back to the office. Everything depends on the restrictions. That said, almost zero chance of continuing to work from home after covid

Usually says which batch it is, in the competition name of the message. But maybe they don't do that for everyone.

QUOTE=haleyoshea;116929563]I've no idea I can't find where it says it... Because it doesn't say it in any email[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Ddk2020

Maelenn wrote: »
    First day you will go to the office to get your laptop, ID card and will have a very brief intro on your pc. In the afternoon, you will have a call with hr and everyone else that started the same day. They will go over the most important stuff and ask you to sign a bunch of documents (some departments are asking people to sign stuff before they start). After this, your manager will give you a call to meet you and explain your unit.
    For my first week, I’ve been reading a lot to get up to date on my unit. Have had some calls with my colleagues, who better explained the job.
    I had another brief call from hr about basic systems and will have another one on the cloud solution they use. It’s definitely easier if you know your way around computers. I’ve seen people struggling with it already.

Obs1: people wear everything from smart casual to business casual. Some men wear suits and ties for the first day.
    Obs2: they don’t have any idea when we might go back to the office. Everything depends on the restrictions. That said, almost zero chance of continuing to work from home after covid

Thanks for replying and the information.
    It does clear up some questions.

I’m waiting on contracts etc so this offers me some insight into what I can expect going forward with the process. I’d prefer not to be working from home, so I could get a better grasp of the position. Even two days office based would be good. Then on other hand, if you get use to work from home, the idea of the daily commute could be an issue ... time will tell.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭floorpie

Maelenn wrote: »

Thanks v much for the info.

Was it a big intake on the day? Were you still assigned a desk even though it's WFH?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Govannan

Got a message today to say I hadn't reached the qualifying score. I'm in batch 3 general stream. Just under 2 weeks since the interview. They might be contacting unsuccessful people first I suppose as they don't have to be placed on the order of merit. Good luck to the rest of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mouton

Govannan wrote: »
    Got a message today to say I hadn't reached the qualifying score. I'm in batch 3 general stream. Just under 2 weeks since the interview. They might be contacting unsuccessful people first I suppose as they don't have to be placed on the order of merit. Good luck to the rest of you!

Hard luck Govannan!

I was a little surprised to find I passed after what was a very unsatisfying interview to say the least. My ranking is not amazing but I’m happy to have passed anyway. Let’s see if anything comes of it!

Where is Batch 1.2 at?

Just got an email to say I've reached the qualifying score for batch 1.3 general! Only did the interview Thursday so got the results very quick... Does anyone know where they are with the general stream?

• Advertisement

Same here happy and surprised I passed. Does anyone know how the oom works? Is your OOM just from your batch or overall in the general stream?
    mouton wrote: »
    Hard luck Govannan!

I was a little surprised to find I passed after what was a very unsatisfying interview to say the least. My ranking is not amazing but I’m happy to have passed anyway. Let’s see if anything comes of it!

Where is Batch 1.2 at?

Same here happy and surprised I passed. Does anyone know how the oom works? Is your OOM just from your batch or overall in the general stream?

I think the oom is just for your batch 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mouton

I think it’s just from your stream and batch, so in our case (assuming we’re the same) it’s for batch 1.3 general stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Update on Business and Finance Stream: they're now starting to call people from batch 1.2 of this stream

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ToppedIron

I just received my results from Batch 1.3. Passed all competencies but OOM in the 80s. I didn't think 1 batch would have that much given the interviews were only over 9 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Madra Maith

Passed General Batch 1.3 too. Wondering how many they call for role within batches now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tech2188

Has anyone started or been told their role for AO ICT with DSP? Have had references checked.

ToppedIron wrote: »
    I just received my results from Batch 1.3. Passed all competencies but OOM in the 80s. I didn't think 1 batch would have that much given the interviews were only over 9 working days.

I've been told by an AP that batches can have over 100 and a lot of the time hundreds are called from the panels. Also this competition was ran because there's been so many promotions and retirements so a huge number of AOs are needed

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Murpl

I've been told by an AP that batches can have over 100 and a lot of the time hundreds are called from the panels. Also this competition was ran because there's been so many promotions and retirements so a huge number of AOs are needed

If they held 9 days of interviews they could only have panelled 70 or more if there were +8 interviews per day. Given that the interviews were ~65 minutes a piece without deliberation afterwards, this wouldn’t have fit in a standard working day?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aero123

Murpl wrote: »
    If they held 9 days of interviews they could only have panelled 70 or more if there were +8 interviews per day. Given that the interviews were ~65 minutes a piece without deliberation afterwards, this wouldn’t have fit in a standard working day?

They tend to have more than 1 board interviewing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Does anyone know what number they are up to based on the initial order of merit?

Is there a way to interpret results to better make sense of them? The passing score and top mark have both been provided, but I don’t know whether my scores are considered good? I have a few more interviews for other vacancies so I’d like to understand if I can do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

There were several boards interviewing.

Where did it say there were only 9 days of interview?

Where did it say there were only 9 days of interview?

There were dates for interview in the information about the board members. If there were other boards interviewing at the same time then I don’t know if there were other dates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 steven8719

Hi All,

Congrats to all who have made the various panels.

For those in the private sector moving to the Civil Service, what was the process for contacting your present employer as a referee? With a mortgage etc I can't afford to be out of work for any period - so am wondering if anyone else has gone through this? e.g. will references only be contacted 4-5 weeks before start date?

Cheers!

They will only do this as a last step and will advise you before they contact them as they understand the situation :)
    steven8719 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Congrats to all who have made the various panels.

For those in the private sector moving to the Civil Service, what was the process for contacting your present employment as a referee? Advising my bosses that they are being contacted as a referee would initiate the process for handing in my notice. With a mortgage etc I'm terrified of being out of work for any period - so am wondering if anyone else has gone through this? e.g. will my references only be contacted 4-5 weeks before my Civil Service start date?

Cheers!

And yes usually within that time period (was for me anyway)

QUOTE=Tech2188;116950499]They will only do this as a last step and will advise you before they contact them as they understand the situation :)[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 17 steven8719

Tech2188 wrote: »
    And yes usually within that time period (was for me anyway)

QUOTE=Tech2188;116950499]They will only do this as a last step and will advise you before they contact them as they understand the situation :)
    [/quote]

Thank you, helps put my mind at ease. I'm happy that my current employer would provide a decent reference, I was just a bit worried I'd be left with mounting bills and a 3-4 month gap of unemployment waiting on a start date.

• Advertisement

steven8719 wrote: »

I had the same worry but no was fine.
    You can ask them for the start date and location too I am sure
    As they have to understand the logistics
    Best of luck :)

Thank you, helps put my mind at ease. I'm happy that my current employer would provide a decent reference, I was just a bit worried I'd be left with mounting bills and a 3-4 month gap of unemployment waiting on a start date.[/QUOTE]

Advertisement