Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 i8urmuff1n

Hi all, I was wondering what type of work would be involved for an Administrative Officer working as a civilian for the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haleyoshea

SeanOS92 wrote: »
    They’ve called as far as 39 in the OOM general stream judging by the response they gave me this morning.

Do you ask them regularly? Because I've emailed them twice already but I really want to ask again just to stay updated

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SeanOS92

haleyoshea wrote: »
    Do you ask them regularly? Because I've emailed them twice already but I really want to ask again just to stay updated

This is only my second time. Once when we got our OOM last month and yesterday.

SeanOS92 wrote: »
    This is only my second time. Once when we got our OOM last month and yesterday.

Okay thank you, I might wait a while then ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 22 HolyRomanMemes

@SeanOS92
    Did you get this on the morning of the 19th? Cause i got an email that was roughly at 36 on Monday so just trying to keep pace with how fast they're going. If so that's a decent rate

• Advertisement

@SeanOS92
    Did you get this on the morning of the 19th? Cause i got an email that was roughly at 36 on Monday so just trying to keep pace with how fast they're going. If so that's a decent rate

I got this morning I’m presuming that it’s 39 based on how many are ahead of me. But almost 40 candidates from 1.3 called in a month is quite good.

@SeanOS92 aye it is, i'm just hoping they'll get to me soon enough i'm in the early 50s what about yourself?

@SeanOS92 aye it is, i'm just hoping they'll get to me soon enough i'm in the early 50s what about yourself?

I’m 70 OOM. With thee progress their making you hopefully won’t be waiting too much longer

I'm 55 and I was told there were 13 in front of me last week

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Hey,
    Could somebody tell me what number the people who are being offered placements now came in the initial tests?
    I am wondering if there will be another batch called for interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ciaran1239

Can I ask people about their references? When you were contacted by PAS, did they specifically state you have reference from colleagues you previously worked with/managers you previously worked with or could these references be character references from another professional e.g a friend who currently works in the civil service already? The reason I ask is my last company is a pain to get in contact with for this sort of thing and I don't want to be waiting months because my last place was a shambles. Also I am in the low 50's on OOM and contacted clearance yesterday who advised me there were 15 people ahead of me in General Stream batch 1.3, so somewhere in the region of 37/38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Ciaran1239 wrote: »
    Can I ask people about their references? When you were contacted by PAS, did they specifically state you have reference from colleagues you previously worked with/managers you previously worked with or could these references be character references from another professional e.g a friend who currently works in the civil service already? The reason I ask is my last company is a pain to get in contact with for this sort of thing and I don't want to be waiting months because my last place was a shambles. Also I am in the low 50's on OOM and contacted clearance yesterday who advised me there were 15 people ahead of me in General Stream batch 1.3, so somewhere in the region of 37/38

You need references to cover the last three years of employment minimum. Character references won't do. If you think you are going to have difficulty getting references it would be an idea to contact your former employer now to get the ball rolling. You need written references from former employers and if you are currently employed they will also email them to verify once you tell them it's ok to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Murpl

Ciaran1239 wrote: »

It has to be line managers or supervisors because details re:sick days, etc. need to be filled in. It does mention that if you weren’t employed you can provide the details of someone who can provide a character reference, but it’s expected that former employers should be positioned to give your reference when requested. They sent my references a form to fill in, but if you’re anxious about getting a reference quickly then I’d sent your previous employers a quick message to let them know that they may receive a request.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TheRoyce

Question.

If you're an existing EO on pay scale 5 (37,436), and you receive an AO position for this campaign which would be an external appointment and not an internal transfer, do you start on the beginning of the AO pay scale (33,053) or do you begin at the next highest AO pay scale to your existing EO scale (which would be AO pay scale four: 39,378)?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RockabillySnap

TheRoyce wrote: »
    Question.

If you're an existing EO on pay scale 5 (37,436), and you receive an AO position for this campaign which would be an external appointment and not an internal transfer, do you start on the beginning of the AO pay scale (33,053) or do you begin at the next highest AO pay scale to your existing EO scale (which would be AO pay scale four: 39,378)?

If you are on EO point 5 of the scale you go to the closest point above you on the AO, and then one up. So you essentially jump 2. So you will go to 43,372

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

TheRoyce wrote: »
    Question.

Google Circular in starting pay 08/2019. Point 3.1 refers you to point 1.2 which applies. In short it is nearest increment above your current point plus one.

@haleyoshea and @Ciaran1239 are you guys sure cause i'm 53 and i was told on Monday that there were 16 ahead of me in the que :S

@haleyoshea and @Ciaran1239 are you guys sure cause i'm 53 and i was told on Monday that there were 16 ahead of me in the que :S

I'm early 50s and I just got the email for clearance today 😊 so you'll probably hear very soon.

for reals!? i'd be amazed if they went through 16 in like a single week!

for reals!? i'd be amazed if they went through 16 in like a single week!

I was pretty amazed too, I was triple checking to make sure it wasn't meant for someone else. But I know someone whose OOM is late 40s and they got contacted too.

• Advertisement

That's so strange because I'm 55 and last Monday (10th) I was told 13 ahead of me...
    Hopefully we hear soon :)

I was wondering can anyone help me RE clearance? I have heard we have to give 3 years of work references... However when filling out the education and employment form I only put in employment since finishing college (sep 2019) so I wouldn't have 3 years of work references to give ... Any idea what the situation would be there if I am called?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I was wondering can anyone help me RE clearance? I have heard we have to give 3 years of work references... However when filling out the education and employment form I only put in employment since finishing college (sep 2019) so I wouldn't have 3 years of work references to give ... Any idea what the situation would be there if I am called?

Its not unusual- and it is self explanatory.
    You can only give them the information as it is- the fact that you were in full time education up to that point will speak for itself.

They can ask for a character reference if employment ones are unavailable.

Great news it turns out there's only 2 ahead of me in the OOM now! I guess they really are getting into the 50s!!!

Great news it turns out there's only 2 ahead of me in the OOM now! I guess they really are getting into the 50s!!!

What OOM were you if you don't mind me asking?

Told ya! :P : D

@Rockabilly Snap and @haleyoshea i've never been happier to be wrong

Btw for when it does come up how do you go about Garda vetting exactly? Do you have to call in at a Garda station or is it just emails or what?

I just watched a YouTube video on how to complete the form etc. but like at any point do you have to see them in person? and when they reply is it also over email or physical mail or what?

• Advertisement

I just watched a YouTube video on how to complete the form etc. but like at any point do you have to see them in person? and when they reply is it also over email or physical mail or what?

Everything is through an online platform. You fill in all your details, they check your records, they send a note to the PAS. You’ll get an automated email at every step in the process and can check your application. It’s really just a background check and tends to be quite straightforward. I completed one a few months ago and it took approx. 2 weeks from start to finish.

Advertisement