Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show - Friday 18th September.

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Acosta wrote: »
    Pretending? The state of ya.

The majority of the Irish population is not racist and you know it. There are a tiny few ignorant people who are but how many times have you seen racism in Ireland. I have once about 12 years ago, some junkie woman roaring racist abuse at a black woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The majority of the Irish population is not racist and you know it. There are a tiny few ignorant people who are but how many times have you seen racism in Ireland. I have once about 12 years ago, some junkie woman roaring racist abuse at a black woman.

Of course the majority are not racist and when you look elsewhere Ireland is most definitely in a much better place than many other countries on this issue. But that women is an authority on the subject based on her own experiences and that of her family and friends. Just because you have witnessed very little of it doesn't give you the right to say she's pretending it's a bigger problem than it is.

I wish I could say I've come across as little of it as you have, but sadly I've seen a lot of it. And recently too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Someone in RTE management needs to have a word with him and tell him that its supposed to be an entertainment show and not some propaganda brainwashing experiment.

The whole show tonight was a box ticking exercise in wokism.

The black singer suffering racism, the Asian ethnicity politician, the US political spiel with Gloria Estefan, the Covid fearmongering .

Its like something off the Twilight Zone and insulting to viewers, shoving this garbage down their throats.

Tubs the teacher, teaching his audience to be better people.
    We are so lucky to have him.

Pretty sure RTE management are the ones encouraging him.

He seems to be increasingly disliked by the public for exactly the reasons you describe, yet he continues to be paid ridiculous sums of money for doing nothing other than dishing out patronising, ill-thought-out sermons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

walshb wrote: »
    I must need to get our more..

Have never encountered racism ever in Ireland.

Yet the media would have you believe we were living in South Africa in the 60s and 70s

Neither have I. But then again I'm white and Irish, so I wouldn't really expect to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

jowvMy6.gif

Now we know what turned Beechwoodspark against Denise Chaila.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Pretty sure RTE management are the ones encouraging him.

He seems to be increasingly disliked by the public for exactly the reasons you describe, yet he continues to be paid ridiculous sums of money for doing nothing other than dishing out patronising, ill-thought-out sermons.

I actually don't know anyone who likes him but yet watch the show as they feel they might miss out on something but week in, week out he proves to us what a poor presenter he is. Perhaps if everyone stopped watching it, within a couple of months advertising revenue would dry up for Friday nights and force RTÉ to have a long hard think about him in the LLS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

yer one from Zambia was a dose, like racists are a tiny minority in Ireland so stop trying to pretend we have a serious racism problem in Ireland.

This is something that really bugs me - a lot.

If you were to say that black people were more disposed to crime or if you said Pakistanis were more disposed to being part of child rape gangs - I have heard liberals going berserk saying 'your can't tar everyone (of those demographics) with the same brush'.

But when it comes to racism or indeed just last week sexual harassment due to that UCD case, you have those same people saying those things are 'endemic' or 'systemic', thereby doing exactly the thing they rail against - 'taring everyone with the same brush'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    When I see Cillian I'm always reminded of when Claire Byrne misphrased a question and asked him to explore isolation with her. The smirk on Cillian's face!

I remember that at the time,hilarious and ive had a soft spot for the bould Cillian since!
    cant find the clip though

Seamai wrote: »
    I actually don't know anyone who likes him but yet watch the show as they feel they might miss out on something but week in, week out he proves to us what a poor presenter he is. Perhaps if everyone stopped watching it, within a couple of months advertising revenue would dry up for Friday nights and force RTÉ to have a long hard think about him in the LLS.

won't happen the JUGGERNAUT of Support behind him continues regardless, online and the printed media.

EDIT: Just seen the Truth Matters RTE thread here. Did'nt post link because mods will get me.

In the context of the LLS, "The Truth" being projected is that the LLS is a programme that rte viewers are going to be talking about a week before hand in highly anticipatory manner!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I couldn't bear to watch TLLS in recent years because of Tubridy's interviewing style (though I've always said he's good with kids and showing empathy to people who've suffered terrible loss).

But in the spring, I thought he suddenly appeared very suited to hosting TLLS when it went in to crisis mode - and for me it felt like it was genuinely providing a public service in times of dire need.

But last night's show felt to me like it was no longer hitting the right note. Maybe hearing Cillian de Gascun say at least twice that 'we need the public to stick with us for a couple of years 'wasn't a message for which I was prepared.

Of course the majority are not racist and when you look elsewhere Ireland is most definitely in a much better place than many other countries on this issue. But that women is an authority on the subject based on her own experiences and that of her family and friends. Just because you have witnessed very little of it doesn't give you the right to say she's pretending it's a bigger problem than it is.

I wish I could say I've come across as little of it as you have, but sadly I've seen a lot of it. And recently too.

Look the people who are racist and shout racist insults at people in the street won't change, the same way a scumbag who robs houses wont change, there will always be racists and criminals, it is just the way they are, scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Look the people who are racist and shout racist insults at people in the street won't change, the same way a scumbag who robs houses wont change, there will always be racists and criminals, it is just the way they are, scum.

So someone who's constantly on the receiving end of racism should just say "Era to hell with it, it's just their way", ignore it and keep the head down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Seamai wrote: »

Yes, but this thread wouldn’t exist if we boycotted the show because it’s dire, due to its dire host!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The black singer suffering racism, the Asian ethnicity politician, the US political spiel with Gloria Estefan, the Covid fearmongering.

I watched back that song to see how it sounded live compared to the track that Tubridy played on his show. It was probably worse tbh, but then I'm sure I'm not in the demographic that the song is aimed at, if it's not racist to suggest that their might be a demographic for her music! :eek:

It seems like the start and end point for some artists is how they can leverage their identity/minority card to promote their career. And RTE just lap it up. I don't think any pasty faced, spud munching Irish person would have got on RTE with that same song. Nothing against the girl, apparently she's pretty talented, but not on the basis of that song.

Sorry, but just on the racism thing, did anything ever come of that lad that shouted abuse at the girl in Galway. It was all over the media, and on Liveline and the Twitteratti were trying to get him fired. But I never heard any follow up on it. Maybe it will be on Liveline Callback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I watched back that song to see how it sounded live compared to the track that Tubridy played on his show. It was probably worse tbh, but then I'm sure I'm not in the demographic that the song is aimed at, if it's not racist to suggest that their might be a demographic for her music! :eek:

It seems like the start and end point for some artists is how they can leverage their identity/minority card to promote their career. And RTE just lap it up. I don't think any pasty faced, spud munching Irish person would have got on RTE with that same song. Nothing against the girl, apparently she's pretty talented, but not on the basis of that song.

I have noticed an awful, awful lot of social media posts etc from prominent Irish entertainment correspondents praising this song as if it's...well more than someone talking about and spelling their own name over the same 5 second loop of music for 3 minutes.

Of course, we don't know anything about the music, or indeed any of her other songs, because she was never asked about any of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They call me Hell
    They call me Stacey
    They call me 'her'
    They call me Jane...
    That's not my name
    That's not my name
    That's not my name
    That's not my name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The beat from the Denise Chaila song is very similar to Salif Keita's stuff, sounds very like the Kora. The guy on the mixing table is about as underemployed as the assistants to the camera operators.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Hope tubs doesn’t see the latest bbc highest earners. Graham norton on £750k. Third place. And no misery. Tubs could jump ship to the beeb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Dudes (and Dudettes)! Seems to be a lot of Chaila-bashing around here.

Save your ire for when Kodaline are on next :D

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I have noticed an awful, awful lot of social media posts etc from prominent Irish entertainment correspondents praising this song as if it's...well more than someone talking about and spelling their own name over the same 5 second loop of music for 3 minutes.

But I think that's the scary thing about what social media has created. If you were an Irish entertainer and you thought it was crap - not because she's from Zambia, but because it is crap - would you dare voice that opinion on social media. At this point in social media etiquette / rules / policing, I think that would actually be a career ending event for you.

Denny61 wrote: »
    Can tommy Tierney please replace ..ryan turbidity...

I think that this suggestion is not begrudging or mean spirited but actually logical. Look at all the presenters in the US - all of their light entertainment show hosts are comedians and entertainers. RTE give us Bookworm from the old Batman series. People want to be entertained, so the show should be hosted by someone who is entertaining, simple as that.

But Tubridy follows the company line, so he will be there indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Just heard that tune on some ad, didn't notice what it was for, it's not great, really, is it?

Not as good as that ting tings song anyway...

So someone who's constantly on the receiving end of racism should just say "Era to hell with it, it's just their way", ignore it and keep the head down?

What else can you do? I usually ignore such people unless they constantly harass me or threaten me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Whatever your opinion of John Waters, this is a glorious rant at the beginning of the video:

Advertisement