Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parkrun, lap two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

So what? Its still called Park Run, if HQ want to move towards making it an untimed walk then change the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Turning up 100 times is much more impressive then knocking 1 second off the fastest time in a competition that doesn't even exist. The record holder won't pull, they won't come to Athletics Ireland's attention and they won't pick up any life skills. All you get is a lonely 15 to 25 minutes.

Your steadfast apologizing for HQ is admirable, maybe you could answer this one

If someone who turns up a 100 times is more important than someone who is trying to knock a second off their PB, what if the person turning up for the 100th time is trying to knock a second of their PB? Does that make them less impressive?

That's their own goal and the reality today is that HQ still allow for that, you still get your PBs in your email. If you chose to share that then more power to you. In order to be a winner you don't need to identify the loser and throw down a gauntlet at them. Parkrun have never produced medalists in places where athletic organizations aren't looking. That's not their goal. UK HQ have horrible PR. No arguments there.

Competitive athletics is not a team event. Parkrun is trying to encourage team comradeship, conflict of interest is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

• Advertisement

If there is no emphasis on the run why by call it Parkrun? Maybe simplistic but that's my point. Anyway, have a nice weekend. And enjoy your Parkrun if you get a chance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The 3rd finisher, jm11-14, at this event managed to collect some medals in the Tokyo Olympics. Not sure if UK triathlon had him on their radar at the time?

The club data shown is not fixed to what it was in 2012.

https://www.parkrun.org.uk/dulwich/results/36/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

But why compare? Parkrun to me is whatever the individual wishes to get out of it.

Whether that be a volunteer who never runs, transition year student learning a sense of community, a wife pacing a husband to his first sub 30, two friends walking at the rear or a club athlete who wants to give it a lash.

So I really don't see the need to say the 100 timer is more impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

the fact that someone has done 100 parkruns, walking or running, may put someone else off starting, if you go by HQ logic.

That is essentially the same as saying you can't display time stats. Nobody is more impressive, nobody is less impressive, everyone is just what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Shout out to the extended family who filled all volunteer roles for the Donabate parkrun this morning. No one picked up their ball and threatened to go home, there were no discussions about forming a breakaway saturday afternoon event, no mobile phones were discarded in disgust, by runners unable to find over their post run coffee, where they would have finished with their time this day 7 years ago in a parkrun in Poland, just some people and a Sith Lord out for run/jog/walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Maybe stop counting on how many events people ran or volunteered as it might put some people off as they’re all doing it so many times and I don’t want to be that first timer. When you start stopping one thing to please one group it can go into a vicious circle as you can kill it off by stopping touch much. It’ll be start when you want so it’s not a race of any kind

Anyone who has done the Athlone Parkrun in AIT/TUS will be getting the "We were there" badge in the 5k app as the move to the regional sports centre is being classed as a new Parkrun called the "Athlone RSC Parkrun."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I'm sure I'll get there at some stage to collect my 6th iteration of that 'We we there' badge 😊

Too late, the last Athlone Parkrun was last Saturday.

The first Athlone RSC Parkrun is this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Indeed it is 🙂

https://www.parkrun.ie/athlonersc/

I was there maybe 6 years ago, I confused myself into thinking I had to visit the new event or something which of course I don't :)

In Galway this weekend. So going to give Inis Mean a go.

• Advertisement

Do you know how you're getting over there? Flight from Inveran can only take 8 people including the pilot, ferry from Rosaveel won't make it for 11. Doolin is quite a drive from Galway and I think only 1 ferry a month makes it in time but that might have changed.

University of Galway is a good one, especially if you're alphabet chasing or trying to spell Parkrun because it's the only U in Ireland, north or south.

im on the flight.
    its 9am.

Enjoy.

Anyone seen the Voronoi filter on the 5k app? Basically the more isolated a parkrun is, the bigger the segment of the map you fill if you do the run. For example you shade in about 3/4 of Iceland if you do Erris Head and a fair chunk of the Atlantic if you do Bere Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey all, I'm kinda new to parkrun and to running. I run so much better on a treadmill or when there is a pacer (there often is at my run). I could manage my pace better if my watch (Samsung Watch 6) were accurate, but it is not. Sometimes it overreads, sometimes under. The variation is around ~400m. Is there like a way to save the pre-created route run route in my phone so it always comes to 5k, and instead of trying to track where I am going in a vacuum it just tracks my progress down a known path?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yeah, I know the bane of running the exact same route 2 days running and it coming up as 4.75K one day, 5.05K the next day.

But the way I look at it is I know it's 5K and I know exactly where the 1K,2K,3K,4K points are, so I can pace myself that way and monitor my progress during a run or long-term trends. So not really an issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

After running the same route multiple times you'll likely find yourself glancing at the watch at similar spots on the route each time. You'll eventually notice that you normally pass a particular point at x:xx and then when you pass it at y:yy one week will know if you are ahead or behind your normal pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah - actually the other thing I was doing while posting this was pulling up Google Maps and finding references for those points. It's laps of a park, and finding out exactly how long a lap was an calculating what time I wanted to end each lap at will help too!

I was visiting a friend in the eastern part of France last week & had to drive for around an hour to get to the nearest parkrun in Merzig Germany. Very friendly bunch there, course was complicated to say the least with zero marshals once you left the start but I just followed the locals so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Annual closure of Marlay parkrun and junior to allow for concerts to proceed. Expected return in about a month.

• Advertisement

Is Castletown any closer to resuming?

Advertisement