Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

parkrun, lap two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

ger664 wrote: »
    Not everyone can afford a GPS watch or has the luxury of access to a computer. Doing this would prevent them from participating in parkrun

If you don’t have access to a computer how would you sign up currently? Does it not require an online signup?

Obviously anyone can turn up at half 9 and run with the group, but if you want your time tracked you need computer access, Strava or no Strava under the current setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

If you don’t have access to a computer how would you sign up currently? Does it not require an online signup?

Obviously anyone can turn up at half 9 and run with the group, but if you want your time tracked you need computer access, Strava or no Strava under the current setup

I set it up for my Dad and printed and laminated a few barcodes for him. He walks with a friend. Now he has since got a smartphone but didn't 2 years ago. Covid has forced him to slowly learn how to use WhatsApp. He can read emails but then has to ring them to answer questions as he doesn't know how to reply. He's not looking at the online results to see if he got a PB and probably doesn't know what PB stands for. For the last year he calls around to my house (5 minutes away) every 2 months where I login to a Zoom meeting for a local community group he's involved in.
    He loves his walk but if he had to use any type of app for Parkrun he's be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can do this all on your mobile. There will be generations that will struggle so probably not the best solution.

Parkrun also use the wrist bands with the barcodes on it, if everyone buys them, then no contact be needed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

robinph wrote: »

Great news - genuinely thinking of heading north for one. Might give it a few weeks to normalise.

Is that something that is looked down on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Genghis

Latest episode of Free Weekly Timed podcast is all about Parkrun restarting in England (with a small mention of N. Ireland).

Features Nick Person, Global CEO of Parkrun and goes into some detail about the challenge of trying to work with hundreds of land owners, many local councils, etc and how close he feels it came to the end of Parkrun. Also good insight into why they didn't pursue 'changing the model' to enable any old re-start, why it had to be as close as possible to normal - or nothing.

Would love after England resumes to hear about the efforts made in other countries, like ROI.

Link or search in your podcast app

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Are parkrun Ireland saying anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Great news - genuinely thinking of heading north for one. Might give it a few weeks to normalise.

Is that something that is looked down on?

Do it if you want to. Who cares if some people look down on it. There’s always going to be a few. I couldn’t care less what strangers think and certainly wouldn’t alter my movements because of them.
    However. I most definitely wouldn’t travel 80k for a 25 min run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Saw this on Malahide's FB, posted June 6th.
    Hi all,

Everything is looking so much more positive. As of yet we don’t have a date to return but the following countries are expected to restart over the coming weeks they are as follows:

12 June- Poland
    19 June- Denmark
    20 June- Scotland (junior)
    26 June- England & Northern Ireland (tbc)
    3 July - France & Scotland (tbc)

We are sooo looking forward to be posting about our return hopefully in the near future and are looking forward to having you all back at Malahide parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

See it's July now for England.
    Following the announcement this evening from the Prime Minister, confirming a delay to Step 4 of the Roadmap until Monday 19 July 2021, it is now our intention that 5k events in England will restart on Saturday 24 July.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    See it's July now for England.

Yep, seen that. No mention of NI.

https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/06/14/statement-in-response-to-roadmap-announcement/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

There seems to be radio silence from parkrun Ireland. I've bumped into a few fellow parkrunners the past month since small group training etc started and all have wondered when parkrun will be starting back, how much they will look forward to it and are hopeful for a return soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    There seems to be radio silence from parkrun Ireland. I've bumped into a few fellow parkrunners the past month since small group training etc started and all have wondered when parkrun will be starting back, how much they will look forward to it and are hopeful for a return soon.

https://twitter.com/wehttam57/status/1405146064110379010

Challenging why it isn't back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

That’s something at least aquinn.

Broke my heart yesterday - my teenager has been a bit difficult to motivate for running lately, even since his training started back (I think being one of the oldest in the juvenile club has something to do with it) but he said he’ll pick up the running again when parkrun starts back. Must try and get back into the habit of doing a (not)parkrun at parkrun time, especially now he’s on his holidays from school. But it’s really something if even he’s saying he misses parkrun events and wants them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Does anyone know if Marlay Park and St. Anne's routes are market with permanent signage like Malahide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Does anyone know if Marlay Park and St. Anne's routes are market with permanent signage like Malahide?

Marlay is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Apologies if this goes against the forum policies but it is parkrun related. Regular parkrunners may have come across Stuart Van Der Bliake. He is a parkrun ambassador, runs the Heritage Junior parkrun in Wexford with his wife Nemone and is a frequent parkrun tourist. Stuart went missing in Rosslare on Monday night and hasn't been seen since. Needless to say, his wife and family are extremely concerned about him and want him to come back home. If anyone has seen Stuart please contact Wexford Garda Station. Please also share on social media to try to get Stuart home.
    https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/press-releases/2021/june/missing-person-appeal-stuart-van-der-bliake-59-years-county-wexford.html

https://www.facebook.com/208039342609720/posts/4226347974112150

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not St. Anne's either.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

I know not what you asked, but if you're looking for other options, the route in Waterstown Park in Palmerstown has km markers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I wonder if St. Anne's will get the original course back with the market now at the finish area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dub13 wrote: »
    I wonder if St. Anne's will get the original course back with the market now at the finish area.

I was only asking that last week. That is not the only issue either. There is now a coffee shack and related queues at the golf course and with the parents not allowed in the all weather anymore the path up that way is completely blocked from 9:50. Also there is now U7 GAA up on the pitches at the top corner (and related parents, toddlers, bicycles). The park has moved on in the absence of parkrun and will take a fair bit of compromise to get it back in the same spot.
    It make have to move elsewhere in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

opus wrote: »

Good chart. I think Ireland will be Sept if lucky.

Very enjoyable Parkrun in Derry this morning. About 100 participating, the usual positive, friendly and safe atmosphere, hopefully these can resume in ROI soon. Only difference worth noting was the course was 300m longer to use a bigger start space.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

BBC NI news report on the Stormont parkrun yesterday

Good to see it

https://twitter.com/bbcnewsline/status/1408805022670987266

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

https://youtu.be/mypHqRgBoBI

Marlay Parkrun course preview from 3'44.
    Might be helpful to those who've never done it before. Hope you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any sign of a restart date?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Gael23 wrote: »
    Any sign of a restart date?

Nothing as yet. I'm a little concerned that parkrun may not return to Marlay.
    The park has become very busy as a result of covid, which on one hand is great but will dlr (Council) want to disrupt the new eco system. A lot will depend on what relationship dlr and parkrun have I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Matt Shields was on the FWT podcast this week. Said that the 500 limit was good, but they are still in discussions about what that means for parkrun. Didn't make any firm guess as to when it would restart when Vassos was pushing him, gently, for a date.

• Advertisement

What is the 500 limit about and how could it possibly be enforced?

Advertisement