Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RMB Deselecting Randomly

Options
  • 18-09-2020 11:05am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Greetings,

I primarily use cabled USB mice for gaming - most recently a Logitech G203.

I have a very specific problem which is making gaming very annoying. In short, if you hold down RMB (Right Mouse Button) and move the mouse, it will randomly deselect itself quite frequently (as if the button was released). This can happen out of games but isn't as noticeable due to lack of reasons to hold RMB when browsing or using programs. For example, if I tab out of the game to my desktop and hold RMB (which creates a select-box just like it would with LMB) and move the mouse sporadically, the box will disappear and create a new one at random intervals after opening the RMB menu, as if the button was released, no matter how hard it is held down. In games - such as World of Warcraft where you can move forwards by holding down RMB+LMB, or RMB by itself to move the camera - the problem becomes extremely aggravating.

I've just tried using my older mouse (which never had this problem) yet it still happens, so this leads me to believe it is something to do with the computer itself - possibly a disabled service (or existing service), maybe even some program causing some kind of periodic conflict. My current mouse is only a month or so old and is well maintained. Seeing as the issue happens with other mice, I don't believe the mouse itself is causing the problem.

I've tried uninstalling all drivers, re-installing the mouse, using a different mouse, using different USB ports, etc, but the problem persists. I will soon give it a try in safe-mode to see if that helps. At the very least, that would tell me if some regular program or service might be causing a problem.

Anyone ever had similar issues or have any ideas as to what may be causing this? I really don't want to invest in a new mouse as an option if the problem may not even be the mouse at all, so I'm trying to investigate. I've had this computer for 5 years and never experienced this issue until about a month ago. Windows is up to date and all the other basic shenanigans. The computer itself is in very good condition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Is the most the only other input device connected (apart from the keyboard).
    Try replicating the issue with the KB disconnected in case there's a slightly stuck key that might be causing some problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Just mouse and keyboard - no other input devices.

A stuck key wouldn't explain why it works perfectly fine in Safe Mode and shortly after rebooting (but not after a bit of uptime). I'll try your suggestion (thanks!) but I have no reason to believe the keyboard is the problem so far.

I doubt it is either but always worth ruling one thing out completely

Advertisement