Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin restrictions Megathread

Options

Comments

GT89 wrote: »

I am correct in saying it is not a law. It is a regulation not an act. The Gardai cannot arrest a person under a regulation. Anyone who has been arrested for not wearing a mask has been arrested under a different act typically the public order act.

You are incorrect it is the law.
    Shops and other retail settings
    On 10 August 2020, new public health laws (pdf) made face coverings mandatory for customers in:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It is fantastic to hear that hotels are standing up and having some responsibility. When you have morons and idiots willing to ignore restrictions and ignore public health guidelines putting everyone at risk then they need to be forced to comply.

Anyone with even half a brain cell would realise that allowing people to stay from Dublin will annoy a lot of people and that’s if not covid is caused, imagine the fall out for a hotel who allows people from Dublin to stay and they caused a cluster. That’s what will put a hotel out of business.

There is serious boycotting of the station house in clifden happening from what I’ve heard. A liberty hotel that I will unfortunately refuse to stay in from now on and I’ve heard multiple people do the same.

If hotels are turning away business from Dublin and now Donegal, then they are a minority. Most hotels for a start don’t ask for your address when booking and if booked through a 3rd party, wouldn’t have access to any personal details. I doubt many of these anecdotal stories are true

Also there is no legal restriction on people leaving Dublin. Therefore there are no grounds for hotels to do so.

But where does it stop?

Should hotels also check the tax and NCT on your car are up to date if you’re parking on their property?

Should they check if you were speeding while on the way to the hotel?

If hotels can’t even enforce masks and hand sanitation yet make some claims about refusing dubs then it’s very disingenuous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

You are incorrect it is the law.

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/79445/bb49040f-d831-4d42-aa80-1d07e37c0bef.pdf#page=null

Read the heading it clearly says regulation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

faceman wrote: »
    If hotels are turning away business from Dublin and now Donegal, then they are a minority. Most hotels for a start don’t ask for your address when booking and if booked through a 3rd party, wouldn’t have access to any personal details. I doubt many of these anecdotal stories are true

Also there is no legal restriction on people leaving Dublin. Therefore there are no grounds for hotels to do so.

But where does it stop?

Should hotels also check the tax and NCT on your car are up to date if you’re parking on their property?

Should they check if you were speeding while on the way to the hotel?

If hotels can’t even enforce masks and hand sanitation yet make some claims about refusing dubs then it’s very disingenuous
    Because having no NCT is not a danger to their staff or other customers . Covid is so I would be fully supportive of any hotel asking my address in order to be safe and ensure the recommendations are adhered to

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Because having no NCT is not a danger to their staff or other customers . Covid is so I would be fully supportive of any hotel asking my address in order to be safe and ensure the recommendations are adhered to

Dodgy handbrake? Stuck throttle? Bald tyres? Rich running engine? None of these can’t cause injuries to staff on the premises?

• Advertisement

3xh wrote: »
    Dodgy handbrake? Stuck throttle? Bald tyres? Rich running engine? None of these can’t cause injuries to staff on the premises?

Yeh fair enough but in all honestly I think Covid is a bit more relevant right now

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Yeh fair enough but in all honestly I think Covid is a bit more relevant right now

Well, I’d say Covid is more relevant because of the vast increase in published positive cases and the decision to focus on them. That is all.

And for as long as those cases are found using the PCR test and no further info is released publicly about the medical state of those infected, you’d have to wonder why the highlighted focus on the case number.

It’s meaningless.

Just think, someone could have had it 6 weeks ago, asymptomatically. Because a close contact, today, gets it, they’re then tested. The PCR will most likely pick up that first person’s infection. That is inaccurate counting.

Do we honestly believe each and every one of those 200-300 cases per day are going around coughing and feverish as well as genuinely Covid positive?

It is law you can be issued a fine for failing to wear a face covering in a shop or on public transport there is a specific fine for this breach.

Are you denying that you can be fined for failing to wear a face covering despite it clearly being stated that failing to do so results in a fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

faceman wrote: »

The hotels I stayed in over the summer had plenty of British guests so I doubt they would be turning away people from Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

But then you are being selective with laws your enforce. And you’re opting to enforce something that isn’t law over something that is.

Define what dangerous means? The overwhelming majority of people recover from covid and don’t require hospitalisation. How do we define dangerous in this context?

• Advertisement

It is law you can be issued a fine for failing to wear a face covering in a shop or on public transport there is a specific fine for this breach.

Are you denying that you can be fined for failing to wear a face covering despite it clearly being stated that failing to do so results in a fine?

It is up to the HSE to fine you the Gardai cannot charge you for failing to wear a mask

Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm a little bit confused, under Social Gatherings it says visitors from 1 household only to a max of six people and no social gatherings in any other setting.

But outdoor dining is allowed up to 15 people under restaurants, so can I meet other households in this setting and is there a max number of different households?

Can I meet 3 people from 3 different households as long as it is an outdoor dining setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

It is up to the HSE to fine you the Gardai cannot charge you for failing to wear a mask

What? The HSE now have statutory powers to enforce legislation and fine people. Would ya cop on to yourself!!! 😂

What? The HSE now have statutory powers to enforce legislation and fine people. Would ya cop on to yourself!!! 😂

It is a civil matter. The HSE could take you to court just like An Post can take you to court for not paying your tv licence but the Guards can't just arrest you for not wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gardai investigating gathering in Donegal. Same regs apply to Dublin.

An Garda Síochána said its investigation was being conducted under the Health Act, 1947 (Section 31A – Temporary Restrictions) (Covid-19) (No 5) Regulations 2020 which came into effect on 19 September.

Regulation 15 states: “A person shall not organise, or cause to be organised, a relevant event in a relevant county.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/letterkenny-protest-garda-investigation-donegal-5215799-Sep2020/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

It is a civil matter. The HSE could take you to court just like An Post can take you to court for not paying your tv licence but the Guards can't just arrest you for not wearing a mask.

The powers that An Post have for tv licence enforcement is not the same, not even close! The HSE are not and will not be taken people to court for not wearing a mask! Where did you come up with that!!!
    None complience with wearing face masks on public transport for example can lead to fines of up to €2500 or six months in prison (guards can arrest under the legislation but it will be up to the DPP as to wheter to bring a case to court)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Friend of mine works in the head office of a chain of creches. She's been told by her boss that she is deemed an essential worker and must go into the office. She has to cross county boundaries into Dublin for work, and get public transport.
    Is she really an essential worker?
    She can work remotely, and has done previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

From speaking to people this weekend it seems a lot of people are ignoring the restrictions.

Totally different from March and April.

Seems they have had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Just been out for my nightly stroll and was surprised at the number of obviously inter-city coaches going around. Even the 700 Dublin Airport coach is back in operation. Doesn't seem to sit well with the gov't not wanting people going in and out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭RoryMac

From speaking to people this weekend it seems a lot of people are ignoring the restrictions.

I don't think the new restrictions in Dublin had any effect from what I've seen, traffic has been just as busy at rush hour and was in 2 shopping centres over the weekend and they were as busy as they have been since the lockdown.

Only change is the restaurants closed but lots of them have opened new outdoor areas and seem to be doing good business.

As you said it seems people have had enough now

• Advertisement

We deserve what we get. Sad really. Some are trying to shield themselves but it's pointless when you have people who don't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We deserve what we get. Sad really. Some are trying to shield themselves but it's pointless when you have people who don't give a ****.

Not really. If they’re shielding themselves then they’ll be fine. That’s a personal choice and responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

road_high wrote: »
    Not really. If they’re shielding themselves then they’ll be fine. That’s a personal choice and responsibility.

They cant put themselves into a sterile bubble. To declare that they will be fine ... zero grounds for that. Of course people can take extra measures to protect themselves but if rest of society ignores all the advice etc it wont be enough.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

How many foreigners (and a large proportion of the local population too) do you think watch rte or any other Irish media? I'd say hundreds of thousands of Dublin residents simply have no notion of the lockdown stages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

Amirani wrote: »
    Most places in Europe have had varying regional restrictions.

I know they had regional restrictions but Was talking about you’re not supposed to go from A to B restriction

Time for the “advice” to become law and slap large fines or even make an example a throw a few of these people in jail who refuse to abide by these vital restrictions. They will have no luck for it and deserve any bad luck that comes their way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Time for the “advice” to become law and slap large fines or even make an example a throw a few of these people in jail who refuse to abide by these vital restrictions. They will have no luck for it and deserve any bad luck that comes their way.

Jawohl Sturmhauptführer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Dublin is being crushed and there is no plan, no decisions of any logical sense are being taken. What is the point of any restrictions when schools are spreading the virus freely all over the city and the country? Let's close everything except the number one spreader of the virus, and then claim we're doing all we can. Absolute joke.

sabat wrote: »
    How many foreigners (and a large proportion of the local population too) do you think watch rte or any other Irish media? I'd say hundreds of thousands of Dublin residents simply have no notion of the lockdown stages etc.

Actually I live in an area with a large population of Polish people and they know the stages and regulations to the letter .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

From Reddit Ireland, the thread's headline This is what the Gardai are having to deal with

And it sums it up really

The guards need to given the power to do more

Video here https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/j1facb/this_is_what_the_gardai_are_having_to_deal_with/

Advertisement