Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Air 4 price

• 19-09-2020 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

For the soon to be released in iPad Air 4, the price in Ireland will be 667e for the cheapest model. The price for the exact same product in Germany will be 632e. I don’t get why we in Ireland are getting a raw deal. I mean we both live in the EU, same tariffs, taxes etc.

I get why outside the EU prices are different, and in sometimes drastic. The same iPad Air 4 in the US will cost 599 usd which is only 505 euro!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭dmn22

US price excludes sales tax so the difference is less

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

dmn22 wrote: »
    US price excludes sales tax so the difference is less

Even then tax is 29 usd, so still significantly cheaper. Anyway, my point is why Ireland based folk are paying more than Germans and other EU countries. That shouldn’t be the case IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    For the soon to be released in iPad Air 4, the price in Ireland will be 667e for the cheapest model. The price for the exact same product in Germany will be 632e. I don’t get why we in Ireland are getting a raw deal. I mean we both live in the EU, same tariffs, taxes etc.

I get why outside the EU prices are different, and in sometimes drastic. The same iPad Air 4 in the US will cost 599 usd which is only 505 euro!

Every state in the US set their own VAT rate. Then I believe there's different local VAT rates that can be applied in addition to the state set rate on a local level.

Irish price is €667 gross or €551 net after removing our VAT at 21%.
    German price is €632 gross or €544 net after removing thier VAT at 16%.

€7 is hardly a raw deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Every state in the US set their own VAT rate. Then I believe there's different local VAT rates that can be applied in addition to the state set rate on a local level.

Irish price is €667 gross or €551 net after removing our VAT at 21%.
    German price is €632 gross or €544 net after removing thier VAT at 16%.

€7 is hardly a raw deal.

German VAT is 19%.

Which means net price in Germany is €531 as opposed to €551.

It's €20 exc vat more expensive here but there could be other reasons for this. Transport costs as we're an island, WEEE charge.

Also, will people stop comparing to US prices that just completely ignore federal and state taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

murpho999 wrote: »
    German VAT is 19%.

Which means net price in Germany is €531 as opposed to €551.

It's €20 exc vat more expensive here but there could be other reasons for this. Transport costs as we're an island, WEEE charge.

Also, will people stop comparing to US prices that just completely ignore federal and state taxes.

German VAT is 16% now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Germany pays less taxes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

TitianGerm wrote: »
    German VAT is 16% now.

Yes, I see that now, since June.

I don't know what they're at then as Apple's German website shows price as €632.60 which includes vat of approx €95 which works out as just over 17.67% so I'm not sure what's going on.
    Are there German federal taxes as well?

Advertisement