Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster v Saracens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Don't bother. This is what you're dealing with.

That was said in frustration you goof, you think I enjoyed watching Leinster get mullered and have Itoje grinning face plastered on screen? Good grief

dh1985 wrote: »
    Dominated but not humiliated. By one of the strongest if not the strongest core of a team to play in European rugby ever. Both days I am sure leinster will.look backa and say they could have done things differently but saracens have a technique of squeezing and suffocating teams and it's very effective. Marry that with the absolute power and how clinical they are it's very hard to beat them. Leinster have not become a bad team over night and have the core of a young team and an conveyor belt of players coming through. A couple of impact additions to the current squad and leinster will continue to prosper in europe. But the best team in europe won today. Its unfortunate leinster let them accrue and insurmountable lead

Last year they got beaten up, but still could have won if they hadn't been so sloppy. Ringrose blowing the overlap and gifting a score before half.

This match was an utter humiliation. We came out with no fire, got ridden in the scrum. I honestly feel it's on of the worst losses in Irish Rugby history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I see people continue to play it fast and loose with the word ‘humiliating’.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Last year they got beaten up, but still could have won if they hadn't been so sloppy. Ringrose blowing the overlap and gifting a score before half.

This match was an utter humiliation. We came out with no fire, got ridden in the scrum. I honestly feel it's on of the worst losses in Irish Rugby history.

It's not even in the top 50. The game was on the balance with 10 minutes left. I could name 10 worse defeats purely in the last 5 years off the top of my head.

It's just a game. You appear to be overreacting to a massive level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Not remotely close.

The game wasn’t lost because of the aerial battle, it was lost on the front line with the Pack getting hammered in set piece and broken play.

The perfect example of this is the phases that were part of Sexton getting hit high by Rhodes In which Leinster made 30 phases and didn’t get into the Sarries 22.

That’s the winning and losing of the game, the gain line, the breakdown and the fact that the pack was just completely outplayed.

You could have had two Rob Kearney’s in the back field and it won’t matter if your getting handed your hole in contact.

Nah, it is you who hasn't a clue.
    Not surprising considering your usual contributions.

Sarries have box kicked their way to victory since they started winning European cups. They literally box-kick, disrupt, set defense and that's what they do.

Leinster's back 3 just aren't anywhere near good enough. Short arsed FB, a flanker and some lad with a cross between an afro and a mullet.

Both Kearney's were missed.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    It's not even in the top 50. The game was on the balance with 10 minutes left. I could name 10 worse defeats purely in the last 5 years off the top of my head.

It's just a game. You appear to be overreacting to a massive level.

Go ahead so. Knock out game at the highest level, and the unbeaten team were hammered by the same team who bested them last year. It's up there with the 1/4 final losses to Wales and Argentina in the WC, in terms of crushing losses for me.

Throwing out it's only a game trope is a bit much. If one can't be emotional about your team losing in a painful fashion, when can you be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Of Leinster's back 3 Keenan was very good I thought?

Sarries have box kicked their way to victory since they started winning European cups. They literally box-kick, disrupt, set defense and that's what they do.

Leinster's back 3 just aren't anywhere near good enough. Short arsed FB, a flanker and some lad with a cross between an afro and a mullet.

The box kicks were important but not even close to the impact of the scrums or the defensive performance.

Leinster could have had Kearney, Liam Williams and Halfpenny in their back three at their peak. They'd still have lost.

If they had Mike Ross and Greg Feek, they wouldn't have.

Of Leinster's back 3 Keenan was very good I thought?

Afro-Mullet? Yeah he was much better than the guys currently looking for a central contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Stats don't show the entire picture of the game, but they weigh favourably in Leinster favour here. They performed well in the second half with a lot of gainline successes and linebreaks. The turnovers won stands out tho. Saracens dominated the breakdown.

https://twitter.com/andNickMullins/status/1307350569514917900?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Unfortunately yes.
    Guess I'm just old school. When I was playing and coaching any of my team that started blaming referees as reason why we lost went down in my estimation. Every game I lost we were beaten in the field in my opinion. Wasn't our coaches fault, nor the referees. It was the players. Sometimes we played ****e and lost, sometimes we played well but a better team beat us. Weak minds blame refs and coaches. You can be pretty sure none of the leinster team are blaming Cullen or the ref tonight. I'd say each and every one, being professionals, are ruing the fact they didn't do more personally.
    Yeah I am also old school. However, today I was giving out about the ref during the match and afterwards.

In terms of today's Ref, it is not just the Ref but the team of three. I am not sure the comm's from the TJs was even happening.

I think he missed a few offsides because he was too square on with the ruck and had his back to the defense - especially for the Itoje intercept. In terms of management, when Sarries gave a way of rake of penalties, he stopped the game and explained it very slowly to their captain and let the captain explain it to his forwards and basically handed them a 90 second breather. Another time, two Sarries player were clearly not releasing a Leinster player who had a knee on deck, so obvious penalty. Instead, he shouts "release" quite late and then Itoje poaches right beside him so it's a penalty the other way. So think about the impact there? If he didn't shout "release" and just pinged, it's penalty Leinster, instead his actions play a part in handling the penalty to Sarries. Now, I know Itoje is clever, but the ref needs to be clever too.

In the opening ten minutes when Leinster were pinged for marginal breaches, I think three times? Was this consistency applied throughout the match, I really don't think so.

The tackle on Sexton had force to the head and should have been a yellow. That was a big call in my view, especially with so much focus on safety.

For several of the mauls, I thought they came in from the side and as others have said there was a Sarries penalty for not releasing but he gave it to us. Koch, swims up the side of the maul when it starts and then stops. Again this is borderline stuff Sarries are good at and get away with.

Scrums, were Sarries always driving straight? Were all those penalties correct? If so, why not a yellow card for Leinster?

So for his performance as an elite referee, that performance was max a 6 out of 10.

In terms of Leinster, I think at a few crucial moments Sexton's kicking wasn't accurate. He had two penalties out of hand that he could have got more distance on. He messed up a restart. Sarries make very few mistakes so you need to ensure you don't too.

I think Porter is a great player, but he is not at the same level as Furlong.

So anything good thing to come from this defeat... How long does Sexton have left now? Letting players like Joey go is very risky. They are "once in a ten year" type player. He is arguably a better option at 10 or 15 than what we currently have.

Similarly, hindsight really is 20-20 vision, but would Ruddock have been better suited for today's opposition? Or Fardy instead of Toner? Saying this because you loose a bit of physicality with Furlong not being there, so the marginal calls should have gone to more physical players, in my view.

Sarries defense is immense, even if they cheat a little bit. Sexton is allowed speak to the ref, so he could easily get in his head a bit more. But he didn't.

Maybe it's time for James Ryan to take over?

Go ahead so. Knock out game at the highest level, and the unbeaten team were hammered by the same team who bested them last year. It's up there with the 1/4 final losses to Wales and Argentina in the WC, in terms of crushing losses for me.

Throwing out it's only a game trope is a bit much. If one can't be emotional about your team losing in a painful fashion, when can you be?

Well, parking the fact that you're now adding conditions, I'll still try to fulfill those:

- Leinster losing at home to 14 man Scarlets in a knock out game
    - Munster being smashed the following week
    - Ireland being torn apart by Argentina
    - Ireland losing to Japan
    - Ireland being battered by England in 2019 (twice) and in 2020

There's plenty of others. Leinster losing by 8 points to one of the best club teams in European rugby history isn't even in the conversation. It's hysterical nonsense to think it is.

When can one be emotional? Maybe when something a bit more severe than your local sports team losing a game.

Well, parking the fact that you're now adding conditions, I'll still try to fulfill those:

- Leinster losing at home to 14 man Scarlets in a knock out game
    - Munster being smashed the following week
    - Ireland being torn apart by Argentina
    - Ireland losing to Japan
    - Ireland being battered by England in 2019 (twice) and in 2020

There's plenty of others. Leinster losing by 8 points to one of the best club teams in European rugby history isn't even in the conversation. It's hysterical nonsense to think it is.

When can one be emotional? Maybe when something a bit more severe than your local sports team losing a game.

That's certainly your opinion, you're welcome to it. For me, I think it's an awful loss, especially given how good the team were before the covid break.

I'll continue to be hysterical over here I guess.

I think the new breakdown interpretations have put the game back in the hands of the defense. Look to see a territory box-kick-fest coming to a stadium near you soon.

I think the new breakdown interpretations have put the game back in the hands of the defense. Look to see a territory box-kick-fest coming to a stadium near you soon.

I think it has been a very negative move overall. People say teams will adapt but it's dragging a bit now. There were over 50 penalties in the two matches today combined which is exceptionally high for this level.

WR are going to have to review soon if this keeps up. People want to see continuity and the ball moving. Teams don't adapt to the rules to become cleaner. They adapt to how they can expose them and manipulate them to their advantage and generate penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Munster will be overjoyed at the prospect

Can’t wait till we see a full 80 mind of Murray, standing, waiting, looking, standing, waiting, looking, box kick

It will bring the joy back to the game I love

More seriously it has gone that way, Sarries 9 did remind me of Murray with the box kick routine today, just seemed to be more effective to Murray, well Murray after the injury.

It is killing the game, the attack is getting hammered, it’s better to give the ball to the other team and wait for mistakes, kick points and go again like Sarries did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

That's certainly your opinion, you're welcome to it. For me, I think it's an awful loss, especially given how good the team were before the covid break.

I'll continue to be hysterical over here I guess.

I just can't stander it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I think it has been a very negative move overall. People say teams will adapt but it's dragging a bit now. There were over 50 penalties in the two matches today combined which is exceptionally high for this level.

WR are going to have to review soon if this keeps up. People want to see continuity and the ball moving. Teams don't adapt to the rules to become cleaner. They adapt to how they can expose them and manipulate them to their advantage and generate penalties.

Fully agreed. Since the resumption of the season, the balance has swung way too much in the defending team's favour at the breakdown. It is killing continuity play and I don't know what they are achieving with it.

Today's match was lost at the scrum. Every other part of the game got influenced by the fact Sarries were near guaranteed a penalty at every scrum. It was what it was but calling for a culling off such a good Leinster squad isn't the answer.

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Munster will be overjoyed at the prospect

Can’t wait till we see a full 80 mind of Murray, standing, waiting, looking, standing, waiting, looking, box kick

It will bring the joy back to the game I love

More seriously it has gone that way, Sarries 9 did remind me of Murray with the box kick routine today, just seemed to be more effective to Murray, well Murray after the injury.

It is killing the game, the attack is getting hammered, it’s better to give the ball to the other team and wait for mistakes, kick points and go again like Sarries did

Yeah, it's hard to blame teams who revert to box kicking these days. It's a simple tactic that you can practice over and over in training and god knows teams love simple tactics that they can polish.

The breakdown is so hard to balance, you want a defending team to compete, and you also do not want constant injuries.
    But conversely, you don't want the balance to go to a very good rucking team.

I really am not sure how this will pan out, but one thing is sure, possession is changing hands a lot more regularly these days.

I think the better answer is to ping the tackled player if he holds onto the ball for more than a reasonable amount of time. Most injuries are caused by the guy on the ground fighting the jackler, if he was pinged earlier, then the jackle would be complete and the game would go on. It's almost a guaranteed penalty for a jackle these days instead of just a turn-over of possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Yeah, it's hard to blame teams who revert to box kicking these days. It's a simple tactic that you can practice over and over in training and god knows teams love simple tactics that they can polish.

The breakdown is so hard to balance, you want a defending team to compete, and you also do not want constant injuries.

I really am not sure how this will pan out, but one thing is sure, possession is changing hands a lot more regularly these days.

The injuries are from coming in at side, ask Leavy.

The game for attacking teams
    Like Leinster will be killed

• Advertisement

I think the better answer is to ping the tackled player if he holds onto the ball for more than a reasonable amount of time. Most injuries are caused by the guy on the ground fighting the jackler, if he was pinged earlier, then the jackle would be complete and the game would go on. It's almost a guaranteed penalty for a jackle these days instead of just a turn-over of possession.

If anything the current breakdown interpretation favours box kicking. It's so easy to concede a turnover or penalty that holding onto possession for anything more than a handful of phases is just asking for trouble.

The injuries are from coming in at side, ask Leavy.

The game for attacking teams
    Like Leinster will be killed

Yes you're right the guy who injured Leavy came in from the side. The actual reason for the injury was because Leavy (and most jacklers) can't pick up the ball and have to survive the clean-out. The reason for this is generally because the guy on the ground is holding onto the ball.

If a guy on the ground has hands on the ball after the initial placement, then that should be a straight penalty, regardless of if a turnover is on or not.

If anything the current breakdown interpretation favours box kicking. It's so easy to concede a turnover or penalty that holding onto possession for anything more than a handful of phases is just asking for trouble.

That's actually my point Tom.

That's actually my point Tom.

Apologies, misread your post. It will be very interesting to see how the likes of New Zealand fare going forward. When the ELV's were in play there was a similar risk in taking the ball into contact and teams like South Africa were able to play a 10 man game quite effectively. It just seems strange that World Rugby are placing such a strong emphasis on rewarding good defence at the cost of attacking phase play.

It's help if refs ever called the basics right. Stay on your feet, shoulders above knees supporting your weight. Proper entry.

The assistant refs are a bad joke at this stage. If they can't see constant offsides, crooked throws, boring in etc, what exactly are they there for? Could stick a GPS chip on the ball and get the same value.

It's help if refs ever called the basics right. Stay on your feet, shoulders above knees supporting your weight. Proper entry.

The assistant refs are a bad joke at this stage. If they can't see constant offsides, crooked throws, boring in etc, what exactly are they there for? Could stick a GPS chip on the ball and get the same value.

Just ping the guy who goes to ground if he hasn't released the ball 1 second after going to ground or as they're trying to do, give the call to the opposition with his hands on the ball. But throw in a few yellows for consistently holding onto ball on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

Get off your high horse. Sure Kearney or both Kearney’s would have stabilised things better today but would Rob have finished off the try Larmour scored? Probably not.

The kicking exchanges took place early on but the game was won and lost through discipline not aerial battles. You are so narcissistic you can’t even analyse the game correctly.

Back to the playground with you to bully your classmates and “impose” your opinions on others. Maybe Rob and Dave will back you up.

The box kicks were important but not even close to the impact of the scrums or the defensive performance.

Leinster could have had Kearney, Liam Williams and Halfpenny in their back three at their peak. They'd still have lost.

If they had Mike Ross and Greg Feek, they wouldn't have.

Correct. I think it was actually 11 scrum penalties but I could be wrong. Healy gave away 5 Porter 3 and Ed Byrne 3. Not sure if they were all at scrum time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Henshaw grabbed a Sarries player, threw him back onside when he was trying to block in the lead up to the first Leinster try, the ref was standing beside him, Henshaw said it to him and he just looked at him

That was just one of the issues.

Leinster lost and I don’t think it was the ref fault but saying the ref was not bad is 100% incorrect
    In the Munster V Leinster game last week JJ hanrahan hat to tackle Luke McGrath without the ball to get to the player who was actually fielding the high ball.

Leinster consistently used blocking tactics to prevent a fair contest and the ref ignored it. Munster should have adapted much better but at the end of the day, blocking is illegal in rugby and the Leinster team and fans had no moral dilemma as long as the result went their way. I doubt the Saracens fan is losing any sleep over illegal scrumming or consistent off side infringements not being called

• Advertisement

Get off your high horse. Sure Kearney or both Kearney’s would have stabilised things better today but would Rob have finished off the try Larmour scored? Probably not.

The kicking exchanges took place early on but the game was won and lost through discipline not aerial battles. You are so narcissistic you can’t even analyse the game correctly.

Back to the playground with you to bully your classmates and “impose” your opinions on others. Maybe Rob and Dave will back you up.

Classy!
    First half:

4:20 - Larmour misses a catch
    9:40 - Larmour misses a catch and knocked it on, resulted in a sarries penalty
    15:32 - Lowe misses a catch
    17:37 - Larmour nowhere near catching a high ball
    20:25 - Lowe misses a catch, but gets lucky, there was a Leinster player near by to clear up
    21:55 - Larmour knocks on a catch, scrum, penalty to sarries, 3 pts
    28:04 - Keenan knocks on a catch (did well in fairness)
    38:55 - Keenan fails a contest in the air

Classy!
    First half:

4:20 - Larmour misses a catch
    9:40 - Larmour misses a catch and knocked it on, resulted in a sarries penalty
    15:32 - Lowe misses a catch
    17:37 - Larmour nowhere near catching a high ball
    20:25 - Lowe misses a catch, but gets lucky, there was a Leinster player near by to clear up
    21:55 - Larmour knocks on a catch, scrum, penalty to sarries, 3 pts
    28:04 - Keenan knocks on a catch (did well in fairness)
    38:55 - Keenan fails a contest in the air

How many of them were in our own half? How many of them led to scores by Saracens?

How many of them were in our own half? How many of them led to scores by Saracens?

Why not go watch the match.

Why not go watch the match.

I did. Back up your point with facts!

I did. Back up your point with facts!

Ignored.....

https://twitter.com/The42_ie/status/1307612967660331014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You should try reading that thing you linked.

Just the first line will do for you to realize The game wasn’t won or lost because of kicking. It didn’t help the situation but if Leinster had taken all of those kicks cleanly they still wouldn’t have won.

“NO SCRUM, NO win”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You should try reading that thing you linked.

Just the first line will do for you to realize The game wasn’t won or lost because of kicking. It didn’t help the situation but if Leinster had taken all of those kicks cleanly they still wouldn’t have won.

“NO SCRUM, NO win”

Having a dominant scrum is great, but its totally useless if your opposition is playing error-free rugby

“NO SCRUM, NO win”

Plenty of games won without a scrum. You can't have a scrum without handling errors.

Having a dominant scrum is great, but its totally useless if your opposition is playing error-free rugby

Errors are forced from pressure and dominance.

Plenty of games won without a scrum. You can't have a scrum without handling errors.

But those games are won by dominating the breakdown even if scrums Are under pressures. In this case the sarries pack out muscled the Leinster pack in all areas, the scrum was just one aspect of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sure. They can be. But that’s not what happened yesterday.

Saracens were not dominant when they kicked every possession away to us in the first half from the very beginning of the game. Those were unforced errors that let them into the game.

• Advertisement

Pretty narrow view on how errors happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I think Kelliher starting over Cronin could have led to a better outcome

Pretty narrow view on how errors happen.

Narrow but accurate.

Unforced errors are few and far between at top level rugby.

JJJackal wrote: »

Less of a hammering?

Sure. They can be. But that’s not what happened yesterday.

Saracens were not dominant when they kicked every possession away to us in the first half from the very beginning of the game. Those were unforced errors that let them into the game.

Sextons kick off straight to touch was an unforced error.
    Off hand I can’t think of any other ones in the game.
    Not taking box kicks is because The player he is under pressure for the take, or out of position Because of previous pressure in the defensive effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Less of a hammering?

Leinster dominated in terms of position and territory. Sarries made more than double the tackles Leinster did. Leinster had double the tries

Goode dominated in terms of scoring - also 7 sloppy penalties at scrum time. If your being battered at scrum time its always going to be a long day for forwards.

Leinster dominated in terms of position and territory. Sarries made more than double the tackles Leinster did. Leinster had double the tries

Goode dominated in terms of scoring - also 7 sloppy penalties at scrum time. If your being battered at scrum time its always going to be a long day for forwards.

Leinster didn’t dominate position, They had plenty of possession but didn’t convert.
    Getting into the red zone (eventually) Is not dominating possession, that’s the other team allowing you To have the balls and being comfortable defending which sarries were.

Dominating in terms of position is getting into the scoring zone and converting. That didn’t happen enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DeHood123

Leinster had 3 scrum penalties against them in unit second half compared to 4 in the first
    Kelleher hardly covered himself in glory there too...blinkered stuff from you to pin the scrum woes totally on cronin

Maybe look at our 6,,7 and 8 all coming off the scrum while the sarries 8 are driving like mad

DeHood123 wrote: »
    Leinster had 3 scrum penalties against them in unit second half compared to 4 in the first
    Kelleher hardly covered himself in glory there too...blinkered stuff from you to pin the scrum woes totally on cronin

Maybe look at our 6,,7 and 8 all coming off the scrum while the sarries 8 are driving like mad

It could easily have been a BR that got YC for the scrum penalties, They were leaving the scrum all the time, presumably they were watching Billy and making sure not to allow him get a good break off the base.

Sextons kick off straight to touch was an unforced error.
    Off hand I can’t think of any other ones in the game.
    Not taking box kicks is because The player he is under pressure for the take, or out of position Because of previous pressure in the defensive effort

Leinster spilling the opening kick. JGP throwing a pass to touch. Larmour f*cking a stupid offload when we had them backpedalling. Leinster not contesting the kick off directly after the second try (Saracens just ran through and caught it without even having to contest). Larmour calling a mark under his own sticks with nobody within 20m of him and being in probably the worst spot on the pitch to try and find a good touch.

All simple things, all errors/decisions that Leinster made without Saracens forcing them. All of them cost Leinster possession inside their own half. Two of the above led to shots at the posts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement