Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asti strike action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Can’t check them
    Website appears to have crashed !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

I’m glad some of the nonsensical ones didn’t pass... I’m surprised at the demand for 24 hour return of results though, I don’t know if the labs have the personnel to guarantee that.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Plenty of teacher bashing happening already, not helped by the fact that the media are honing in on the issue of pay equality (which I agree should be addressed particularly with there being 2 tiers in the new Covid supervision rates) and people conflating this with teachers all asking for more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Is the turnout for ASTI votes normally that low?Seems like around 60% are not overly pushed either way with what was being voted for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Is the turnout for ASTI votes normally that low?Seems like around 60% are not overly pushed either way with what was being voted for?

I was surprised by the turnout alright. I could only guess as to the reasons, but a combination of them having a very particular way to file the ballots, them being sent to home addresses as opposed to delivered to reps, and then the closeness to midterm might have had an impact. But not 60%woth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I was surprised by the turnout alright. I could only guess as to the reasons, but a combination of them having a very particular way to file the ballots, them being sent to home addresses as opposed to delivered to reps, and then the closeness to midterm might have had an impact. But not 60%woth.

The turnout was pathetic. I know that circumstances would have had an impact but still.

Myself and my Mrs are both INTO activists and think we can remember a turn out of about 36% for something at some stage but generally for us 60% would be the norm.

There were too many items on the ballot
    People didnt bother
    Thats the long and the short it

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I know mine never arrived despite ringing to confirm my address. Others I know are in similar positions/would have given a home address but are renting elsewhere and couldn't get back to get the ballot papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

The government should call a state of emergency and prevent public employees from striking. Anyone who strikes should then be sacked.
    In the style of Ronald Reagan and the air traffic controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Yes it was that low when we used to have postal ballots in the past, a lot of people simply forget to return the ballot papers. When the ballot was held in school the turn out was a lot higher, this wasn’t possible this time round with COVID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

The government should call a state of emergency and prevent public employees from striking. Anyone who strikes should then be sacked.

Which ballot do you disagree with?

They would probably have to close schools then right .......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Great way of dealing with teacher shortages. Well done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't react to inflammatory posts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

To the teacher's, you have voted. Let the democratic will of the ASTI prevail.

The Nurses were laughed at by Leo before the Covid crisis and got nowhere, even with massive public support. The chickens came home to roost then When Covid came on the scene.

The government is on the ropes, now is your time to deliver that uppercut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Limpy wrote: »
    The Nurses were laughed at by Leo before the Covid crisis and got nowhere, even with massive public support. The chickens came home to roost then When Covid came on the scene..

Just to touch on this point and wondering if it is a valid one. Is it a case that jobs which have become increasingly feminised, nursing, teaching (primary in particular), that their demands are dismissed and ignored, or just the body doesn't have the stomach for the long drawn out and dirty fight and public slandering?

I ask just to gauge opinion as I can already see colleagues bemoaning the public opinion, whereas the males I know just don't seem to give a toss. I suppose I'm looking for reassurance that it's all in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Just to touch on this point and wondering if it is a valid one. Is it a case that jobs which have become increasingly feminised, nursing, teaching (primary in particular), that their demands are dismissed and ignored, or just the body doesn't have the stomach for the long drawn out and dirty fight and public slandering?

I ask just to gauge opinion as I can already see colleagues bemoaning the public opinion, whereas the males I know just don't seem to give a toss. I suppose I'm looking for reassurance that it's all in my head!

I used to say this when I was nursing as the only union that held out was PNA or Psychiatric Nurses Association which had a huge number of male nurses in it.

Personally I don't think it's in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Considering what went on with regard to union jumping during industrial action I would say that the TUI leadership were complicit in the destruction of pay and conditions for a generation of teachers. I don't think it has anything to do with gender. Simply, union leadership and a large minority of members are centre right.

With regards to this ballot, I think there were a multitude of reasons for the low turnout. The most significant being reticence about how the public would perceive it which caused a flight reaction from most members. Dreadful timing, disinterested shop stewards, general apathy and laziness, incorrect addresses and exhaustion combined to cause a low turnout as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Does anyone know of any hard up teachers? Genuine question

• Advertisement

Define hard up.

What's your definition of hard up?
    Like on the streets homeless?

Have to say (and I'm not often a Shinner supporter).
    But the education spokesman really put it up to Pat K this morning.
    Naturally enough Pat is taking the anti teacher line.

Ohh Jesus Colm O'Rourke on CB. The vendetta continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Treppen wrote: »
    Have to say (and I'm not often a Shinner supporter).
    But the education spokesman really put it up to Pat K this morning.
    Naturally enough Pat is taking the anti teacher line.

I was just about to post exactly the same thing. I follow him on Twitter too, he has been very tuned in to education matters.

Ohh Jesus Colm O'Rourke on CB. The vendetta continues.

When ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

I had to laugh when O’Rourke said now was not the time as we were in the middle of a national crisis and that he would pass the picket as he has before. So he passes the pickets when there’s no national crises too. I’d say the ASTI shop steward has a tough gig there.

km79 wrote: »
    When ?

He was on this morning, approx 10:15. El Presidente was on as well and just kept referring to him as Mr O'Rourke.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I had to laugh when O’Rourke said now was not the time as we were in the middle of a national crisis and that he would pass the picket as he has before. So he passes the pickets when there’s no national crises too. I’d say the ASTI shop steward has a tough gig there.

Think he also said that he has the height of respect for some of the ASTI members in his school. Important word there is some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭ngunners

doc_17 wrote: »

Imagine broadcasting you’re a scab to the whole country.

Advertisement