Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asti strike action

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

No teacher bashing allowed, unless the teacher is Colm O'Rourke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Define hard up.

Struggling to make ends meet each month, you'd swear listening to the constant ASTI demands their members were grossly underpaid. Is this the general feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

ngunners wrote: »
    Imagine broadcasting you’re a scab to the whole country.

You are assuming the whole country find what he said disagreeable. Teachers might, others may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Struggling to make ends meet each month, you'd swear listening to the constant ASTI demands their members were grossly underpaid. Is this the general feeling?

Plenty. I spent 7 years subbing. No holiday pay, always waiting on the phone to ring. Borrowing money to pay rent, put fuel in the car to drive to work, to feed myself. At secondary there are lots of jobs but with little hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

ngunners wrote: »
    Imagine broadcasting you’re a scab to the whole country.

Failed property developer in lack of empathy shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Failed property developer in lack of empathy shocker.

Its more personal vendetta that gets audience attention than lack of empathy ...so our media gives him oxygen/rope because it suits them to have a spokesperson on that echoes the thoughts of the rabble (even though hes doing it out of what seems to be personal vitriol) and antagonises another section of the audience so more clicks etc so they can give their audience/audience retention stats to whatever crap monger/parasite wants to advertise their wares on the national airwaves next....it has a thin veneer of "stakeholder" to it so they keep trotting him out when in reality he should be let fade into obscurity somewhere on a golf course with a stipend for services rendered

Its really an indictment of the media for giving him airtime.......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The teacher may have some legitimate gribes about the actions regarding Covid and the questionable stance by the HSE on testing and keeping information to themselves, but there seems to be a lot of things shoe-horned in there.
    Equal pay, Guaranteed job full-time offers, free laptops....

The ASTI need a lesson in PR. Seems a bit amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

markodaly wrote: »
    The teacher may have some legitimate gribes about the actions regarding Covid and the questionable stance by the HSE on testing and keeping information to themselves, but there seems to be a lot of things shoe-horned in there.

Are you against equal pay? Guaranteed jobs was voted down, "free" laptops (which was based off a touted scheme in the private sector where employees could claim tax back on devices for use just like the bike to work scheme) was also voted down.

You don't like teachers and the teacher unions as you have stated many many times before on this forum so I'll take the pr advice with a pinch of salt to be fair.

So, will you support the measures being taken to try to limit the spread of covid in the community?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

markodaly wrote: »

I think non teachers need a lesson in facts too.

1. Equal pay was meant to be ballotted on pre Covid so was always on the cards (and always will be). But that didn't really affect you either way.

2. What's so bad about a full time job offer? The medical profession were badly let down thinking they were doing the country a service flying back from abroad.
    In any event , despite what you think about the 'great handy number' teaching is Ireland. I can assure you very few teachers will be putting themselves up against the department of education and teaching council to help out. So that's a non runner.

3. Free laptops? Just shows your begrudgery towards a profession.

But go on, educate us on your in-depth knowledge of the profession. I think it's very sad you still lurk around here for years just to display your ignorance and bitterness.

No doubt your friend Salonfire will be along soon for more wisdom from the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Why does O'Rourke have such a gripe with the ASTI??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Are you against equal pay? Guaranteed jobs was voted down, "free" laptops (which was based off a touted scheme in the private sector where employees could claim tax back on devices for use just like the bike to work scheme) was also voted down.

You don't like teachers and the teacher unions as you have stated many many times before on this forum so I'll take the pr advice with a pinch of salt to be fair.

So, will you support the measures being taken to try to limit the spread of covid in the community?

A touted free laptop scheme or an actual laptop scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Seannew1 wrote: »

Personal issue going back to his playing days where they didn't/couldn't support support his request for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Story goes that they wouldn't support him wanting to go off play Aussie rules. Don't know how true it is but I'd hate any principal with that level of disdain for the teaching profession. Couldn't be good for anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

km79 wrote: »

Chances are the 5h1t3 we’ve been rubbing into our hands daily for the last 9 weeks is far more dangerous than Cov-19 .Methanol is serious stuff and the latest batch of horrors is possibly worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

The DES has really shown its true colours in the last 8 months, heads should be rolling but they won’t. Norma seems to be gone to ground again.

Icsics wrote: »
    The DES has really shown its true colours in the last 8 months, heads should be rolling but they won’t. Norma seems to be gone to ground again.

Don’t worry though
    No precedents were set last May/June
    Themselves and the union made a pinkie swear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭combat14

2011abc wrote: »
    Chances are the 5h1t3 we’ve been rubbing into our hands daily for the last 9 weeks is far more dangerous than Cov-19 .Methanol is serious stuff and the latest batch of horrors is possibly worse

time to stop using hand sanitisers altogether by the sounds of it .... who knows what's in them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Story goes that they wouldn't support him wanting to go off play Aussie rules. Don't know how true it is but I'd hate any principal with that level of disdain for the teaching profession. Couldn't be good for anybody.

Rubbish Colm O'Rourke would never have had the option to play Aussie rules. His football career was too early to play Aussie rules. In 1988 when he won his first all Ireland medal he was 31 years of age. While he was acknowledged as a Good footballer from about 1985 on he have been too old to play aussie rules at that stage

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mod: No more discussion of Colm O'Rourke please.

Discussions regarding proposed strike action are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 theghjistu

I am
    I'm a subbing at the moment in a private school so I get paid less then I would in a department school, my hours are low and spread out so not much room to find another teaching job. As it's Halloween I have no income for the week. It's about an hour and a half drive each way to school and some days I just have 160minutes of work over the day. Last year I was not working because of health reasons, was on disability allowance (203e a week) for the year, spent most my savings during the year. I'm fall into the extremely medically vunerable category but have had to return to work as I simply cannot afford to live on 203euro a week. I don't qualify for pup as I was not working from June 2019, and I don't qualify for any sort of sick leave as I don't have a contract. I do actually consider myself lucky that I have gotten work as my subject is not in demand, but I feel like I'm trapped.

Not a peep from the union on the latest hand sanitizer debacle that has seen their members being TOLD to work their holidays again ?
    Maybe they are planning a big announcement later as it is the 30th of October and the Dept are clearly not going to satisfy the demands of the ballots on time .......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

km79 wrote: »
    Not a peep from the union on the latest hand sanitizer debacle that has seen their members being TOLD to work their holidays again ?
    Maybe they are planning a big announcement later as it is the 30th of October and the Dept are clearly not going to satisfy the demands of the ballots on time .......

Not till 6pm if there is anything, it is Friday after all.

A touted free laptop scheme or an actual laptop scheme?

What are you raving about man?

This might annoy you but in our school we get FREE toilet paper. Are you triggered?

Treppen wrote: »
    What are you raving about man?

This might annoy you but in our school we get FREE toilet paper. Are you triggered?

I think you misunderstood his post and got triggered yourself.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood his post and got triggered yourself.

I understand him perfectly well, he doesn't want teachers getting "FREE" laptops either way.

Treppen wrote: »
    I understand him perfectly well, he doesn't want teachers getting "FREE" laptops either way.

Regardless of what his position is, he was responding to a post referring to a non existent scheme in the private sector and was posting with regards to that private sector scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Regardless of what his position is, he was responding to a post referring to a non existent scheme in the private sector and was posting with regards to that private sector scheme.

A scheme that made it to oireachtas committees level the last I heard.i lost track of it when we went back to work, but I'm sure you can Google about it. Thought it was a good idea myself as it was based off the bike to work initiative which had worked well.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    A scheme that made it to oireachtas committees level the last I heard.i lost track of it when we went back to work, but I'm sure you can Google about it. Thought it was a good idea myself as it was based off the bike to work initiative which had worked well.

As far as I know, it was just suggested by the regional TDs group (aka the rural independents) as part of their own budget submission. I'm not aware of the actual government themselves looking at it at all.

• Advertisement

Not till 6pm if there is anything, it is Friday after all.

https://www.asti.ie/news/substantial-progress-needed-to-ensure-schools-are-safe-and-c/

Nothing happening

Advertisement