Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asti strike action

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

I know, I'm hopping a ball.

Have there been any challenges in any other EU country yet regarding this issue?

Not that I have seen. But there we are now. Ireland is different.

I was walking to a relative who teaches in Germany only last week. The teachers are in full time but the kids aren't. On certain days different years come in which allows space for the schools to operate in a safer manner. The days kids aren't in they're working on assignments. A really basic common sense approach that they refused to countenance here and individual schools who wanted to do it were warned they could not. It's Plan A all the way until that fails and when it does they'll blame the schools for not implementing Plan A properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Just get on with it and deal with it. Everyone is having to adapt to this thing. Moaning about the HSE as if they are supposed to know months in advance if and when people will actually obey guidelines and when they won't so that clusters will spring up

Maybe have a scheme that any teacher who has verified medical issues can take a temporary sabbatical and receive the PUP.

Speaking as a nurse I am dealing with it. I go into school and put on whatevevr ppe is available, I disinfect up to elbows numerous times a day but the fact that the government thinks it is ok to put aside the guidelines by ECDC and WHO for schools is infuriating. I worked in hospitals and knew that no matter what the hospital would do what it could to keep me safe and I knew the risks, now I teach and to hear the incorrect information on the radio airways is sickening. We are trying to keep children safe. If they are safe we are safe.

So I am getting on with it but it is not safe for students or staff and the fact that this is not reported is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I was walking to a relative who teaches in Germany only last week. The teachers are in full time but the kids aren't. On certain days different years come in which allows space for the schools to operate in a safer manner. The days kids aren't in they're working on assignments. A really basic common sense approach that they refused to countenance here and individual schools who wanted to do it were warned they could not. It's Plan A all the way until that fails and when it does they'll blame the schools for not implementing Plan A properly.

Agree that there should have been a measured reopening. But it seems that Gov wanted the schools reopening as the BIG RESULT!

Strange though that teachers are only giving out now when they had the last six or so months to think about things and they could have had an influence on Gov planning over that time. But no.

That's what is bugging me now.

Agree that there should have been a measured reopening. But it seems that Gov wanted the schools reopening as the BIG RESULT!

Strange though that teachers are only giving out now when they had the last six or so months to think about things and they could have had an influence on Gov planning over that time. But no.

Maybe because the majority were teaching while the Deptarment told us they were working on a plan which was due out in June, instead the HSE delivered one and our plan came out in July giving teachers about 3 and 1/2 weeks to get schools sorted so students could come back and then our Minister disappeared when schools were open and here we are now 3 weeks or so in, clusters, schools closing, 30 teachers contacted by Covid app and then superseded by HSE who said shure be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Angry?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Jesus Christ there are 8000 posts in the How will schools be able to reopen in September thread

khalessi wrote: »
    Maybe because the majority were teaching while the Deptarment told us they were working on a plan which was due out in June, instead the HSE delivered one and our plan came out in July giving teachers about 3 and 1/2 weeks to get schools sorted so students could come back and then our Minister disappeared when schools were open and here we are now 3 weeks or so in, clusters, schools closing, 30 teachers contacted by Covid app and then superseded by HSE who said shure be grand

OK, fair enough.

No one seems to know what is happening, and Norma is nowhere to be seen either. Thanks.

Why so bitter?

What is it in your life that is missing? Do you wish you had chosen a different career? Or is it something else? There are people you can talk to

This is comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

They were screwed. They had a minister who knew he was out of a job anyway so didn't come up with much of anything and he was replaced by someone with no experience at all who promptly disappeared. By an amazing coincidence she only came out of the closet for interviews at the same time Phil Hogan was getting the boot so every press interview she got 3/4 of the questions were about the golf!

The department insisted on their one size fits all approach - schools and teachers weren't allowed to come up with a solution that would work better for them as the government wanted to be able to say they got the schools open full time again and to hell with the consequences down the line.

OK, fair enough.

No one seems to know what is happening, and Norma is nowhere to be seen either. Thanks.

Someone likened her to Enya because of the black velvet jacket and the fact she is silent and invisible lol

• Advertisement

s1ippy wrote: »
    Jesus Christ there are 8000 posts in the How will schools be able to reopen in September thread

Ah give me a break. I'm just joining the discussion here with no agenda whatsoever.

But maybe I need an ASTI membership card to comment :p

khalessi wrote: »
    Someone likened her to Enya because of the black velvet jacket and the fact she is silent and invisible lol

Hilarious :P

Actually it is. Because anyone who can read and comprehend will see that I never expressed an opinion vis-a-vis teachers pay/holidays/etc.

I simply tried to educate you on the logical fallacy that was being put forward.

But, as all classes do, there will be a spectrum of ability everywhere in life. Not everyone will be able to get it. Even if, as you yourself readily admitted, it has be explained to you a thousand times before. You just might never be able to get it. It's ok though. Life goes on.

I can actually visualise Donald Trump himself typing that, little hands feverishly pounding the keyboard :pac:

Go to bed man, you're out of your depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Dav010 wrote: »
    Yes Padre, we are, both my wife and I work in health care, so I’ll take no lectures from you about working in a dangerous environment.

You and your wife work in healthcare, and you think it's perfectly ok for the teachers to break NPHET and HSE guidelines and put themselves at risk so long as it doesn't disrupt your routine?

Wow.

Holy f*cling sh*t wow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

But maybe I need an ASTI membership card to comment :p

Seeing as this is a forum for teachers and this thread is discussing ASTI strike action, that sounds pretty reasonable.

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Seeing as this is a forum for teachers and this thread is discussing ASTI strike action, that sounds pretty reasonable.

OK teacher, will log off now or go into detention. LOL. (will do neither)

If you have no opposing views you are finished, but go ahead and live in your little bubble and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Blondini wrote: »
    I can actually visualise Donald Trump himself typing that, little hands feverishly pounding the keyboard :pac:

Go to bed man, you're out of your depth.

Yeah, everyone’s out of their depth except you, right?

This is no laughing matter or ‘comedy gold’. Disgraceful to suggest so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    You and your wife work in healthcare, and you think it's perfectly ok for the teachers to break NPHET and HSE guidelines and put themselves at risk so long as it doesn't disrupt your routine?

Wow.

Holy f*cling sh*t wow...

It’s every student/parent’s routine, not just mine. Again, the lack of awareness on your part is astounding.

You think you are special? Different from anyone else who has concerns for their health, but has to go back to work. We would all like safer environments with no risk of infection, but that just isn’t there. Your school had 6 months to plan for this, you are back to school 2 weeks, do you want to sit on your ass at home for the next year?

Unbelievable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Time for bed children.

Might re-open this tomorrow.

**Edit open again, though if it has to be closed permanently, it will.

Regular posters, instead of engaging with the '3 months holiday/sit on your arses/what about the nurses/you don't know you are born' posts, please, instead, report the post and block the user.

Hoping for a civil, INFORMED discussion by people who will be involved in the strike action, should it or other action happen.

Any word from TUI yet? Will they follow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

I’m quite torn on this. Systems in place in my school are good. Issues have been recognised and rectified by management. They’re working hard for us and with us. Then I hear about other schools which are a free for all. DES telling teachers they are not close contacts while their covid app disagrees. ‘I’m alright jack’ but surely I have to vote based on my own experiences?

It would suit me better if the DES would engage with the ASTI on their issues in the schools that are having problems. I don’t think that is going to happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

I’m quite torn on this. Systems in place in my school are good. Issues have been recognised and rectified by management. They’re working hard for us and with us. Then I hear about other schools which are a free for all. DES telling teachers they are not close contacts while their covid app disagrees. ‘I’m alright jack’ but surely I have to vote based on my own experiences?

It would suit me better if the DES would engage with the ASTI on their issues in the schools that are having problems. I don’t think that is going to happen though.

No, that's like saying you won't vote for pay equality because it doesn't affect you. Vote for the other members in Union who are getting shafted by medmark and department.

Our school is also pretty good so a lot of teachers throwing their eyes up this morning, but they had to be reminded of what's going on in other schools.
    Department are refusing to engage with unions and teachers at the moment so only one thing for it.

Crikey Christy was as watery this morning on radio, no facts given, worse than the King fella. Is there anyone in any union who is actually able to cite members problems?

Blondini wrote: »
    Any word from TUI yet? Will they follow?

Thats a bit of a running joke.

Followed by the better punchline... "INTO? "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Treppen wrote: »
    Thats a bit of a running joke.

Followed by the better punchline... "INTO? "

You won’t see INTO for love nor money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Treppen wrote: »
    No, that's like saying you won't vote for pay equality because it doesn't affect you. Vote for the other members in Union who are getting shafted by medmark and department.

Our school is also pretty good so a lot of teachers throwing their eyes up this morning, but they had to be reminded of what's going on in other schools.
    Department are refusing to engage with unions and teachers at the moment so only one thing for it.

Pay inequality is different because it can be seen in our own staff room. This is one where our school is being compliant, so it’s unfortunate that it has to suffer. Similar to the slars last year, we were getting last class off for them, but had to stop doing them because other principals weren’t implementing the circular. I wish there was a way of targeting non compliant management without pissing off the ones who are doing their best and managing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

I think its daft that the Croke Park hours are being foisted on us at this time. I'd strike on that

Pay inequality is different because it can be seen in our own staff room . This is one where our school is being compliant, so it’s unfortunate that it has to suffer. Similar to the slars last year, we were getting last class off for them, but had to stop doing them because other principals weren’t implementing the circular. I wish there was a way of targeting non compliant management without pissing off the ones who are doing their best and managing well.

My point is that you don't just strike because it only affects your school. You strike in the interests of the whole union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yes, the people calling for ASTI to “engage” to address the issues haven’t been paying attention since 2012. Where has engagement gotten teachers in solving the two tier pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭combat14

heard reports of one primary school staff meeting today (INTO) .. staff apparently livid as only got one poor quality visor to last the year and nothing else .. not happy campers will be interesting to see if INTO and TUI ballot members as well

• Advertisement

combat14 wrote: »
    heard reports of one primary school staff meeting today (INTO) .. staff apparently livid as only got one poor quality visor to last the year and nothing else .. not happy campers will be interesting to see if INTO and TUI ballot members as well

The ASTI survey closed on Saturday so I presume the ballot is coming out of that.

Did the TUI or INTO..... ahhh forget it .

Advertisement