Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk Drumcondra - latest

Options
  • 20-09-2020 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Hi has anyone any detail around the current status on the Tolka/Drumcondra flood risk? I’m reading following some horrific flooding a scheme was implemented and wondering is this completed? Has it lowered the risk?

I’ve been trying to contact the local council and others for detail but struggling to get an answer. Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Thank you!

If anyone living in area could confirm if they had any flooding issues in the last few years it’d be awesome too!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a place houses should never have been built, nothing to do with global warming, all to do with piss poor planning, they knew in 1954 it wasn't suitable, idiots building on the site after this.
    The River Tolka has a history of flooding following heavy rainfall, which has been well documented after major flood events in 1954. The river has been the subject of a number of investigations, and of most significance were those carried out in 1955 and 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Flash floods occurred a few times in the past 15 years, on one occasion the tolka river burst it's banks at Mobhi road(Dean Swift's Bridge) and Washer Woman's hill(Met.ie HQ) where the flooding spilled out into the Ballymun Road past the Griffith Avenue junction it's a very seldom seen phenomenon to have rain like that fall in such a short burst in the Dublin area, the tolka river and the dodder are susceptible to flooding at certain points hopefully these forecasted autumn and winter storms aren't the same type of weather systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well, if the City Council wanted to do anything about that, one of the first things they could do is clear the Tolka of debris. That was identified as one of the things that made the flooding worse the last time, and they even had a JCB in the river to clear them out afterwards.

But it's Dublin City Council so I wouldn't hold my breath.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

CV231MMWUAAp6qv.png

Advertisement