Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 21 Paris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Sean Kelly congratulates Sam Bennett...... no not that Sean Kelly

This Sean Kelly

https://twitter.com/SeanKellyMEP/status/1307730428292464642

Could have spell check Carrick before posting.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭dahat

What a win and I think anyone that has even a fleeting interest in sports roared him home in Paris today.
    An Irish sporting legend now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Literally a tweet from the woman behind the man
    https://twitter.com/Tee4Tara/status/1307736338188431361?s=09
    I can't help feeling a little strange looking at the image above and particularly the clips of Sam watching the replay of the sprint on the big screen in Paris, how lonely it appears when in fact there are possibly millions of people watching and celebrating with Sam .

dahat wrote: »
    What a win and I think anyone that has even a fleeting interest in sports roared him home in Paris today.
    An Irish sporting legend now.

Just did a quick for search Sam Bennett on boards and it's gas where he gets mentioned on the site today. It's great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

cunavalos wrote: »
    I would say Mammy Bennett's house is being measured up for a new set of Windows and doors as we speak.
    The sponsors seem happy and have rebranded their corporate Twitter page within the last hour

If she is lucky she might get the dining room floor replaced too not to mention a weeks groceries from Lidl

20% off if you mention Sam's name!;)

• Advertisement

velo.2010 wrote: »
    20% off if you mention Sam's name!;)

Not sure if the sponsors have the same draw now but if I am ever in a supermarket or shop in Spain I will always pick up a bottle of KAS lemonade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Just did a quick for search Sam Bennett on boards and it's gas where he gets mentioned on the site today. It's great to see.

Yeah he even got into the covid dogfight thread too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone watching the Breakaway show on Eurosport/GCN? I can't tell if the t-shirt Sean is wearing has a green stripe on the sleeve or if it's some green tape stuck on it :pac:

The clan Bennett on the news there, the brother is the stamp of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The clan Bennett on the news there, the brother is the stamp of him.

Not much sign of social distancing or evidence of a 9 euro meal in his local pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I made the mistake of watching that news clip while chopping onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

There is every chance that Sam, the most decorated Irish sports person of 2020, who has entered the history books alongside some of Irelands greatest athletes already with hopefully much more to come, he will always be remembered for what he has accomplished this year And will be able to walk around in public for the rest of his days without being recognized because we either see him with a helmet and sunglasses or a mask on!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭PatM65

https://twitter.com/TippFM/status/1307752874512986113?s=19

Sam's granddad in Clonmel watching the stage end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Just looking at the highlights and in the last 6km Pogacar had not 1 team mate around. Compare that to Sky over the last few years and it’s amazing he managed to win with that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

PatM65 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/TippFM/status/1307752874512986113?s=19

Sam's granddad in Clonmel watching the stage end.

That's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Absolutely delighted today, I can't remember the last time I was shouting at the TV in excitement. Sam has brought some well needed positivity to our daily newsfeed.

I promise i will stop spamming the thread with Sam related tweets soon but procyclingtrumps has delivered again
    https://twitter.com/procycletrumps/status/1307743203886616578

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

526964.jpg

This was a special moment nearly moreso than seeing him in green.
    We've always wanted to see the Irish National Champions jersey showcased at the highest level. I think qualifies..............

526963.jpg

To show Sam's career progress to date the following two graphs really show amazing progress. Year on year growth for a pro -cylist (especially for a sprinter) is almost unheard of.
    5b39Far.jpg

XLAC62X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

What's our opinion on Sagan rolling past and telling Sam to "Relax" and doing a 'calm down' hand wave?

Maybe I'm missing some cultural thing here, but I'm not that enthusiastic about it!

• Advertisement

And he's almost single handedly scored our UCI points to boost worlds team sizes in the last few years.

check_six wrote: »
    What's our opinion on Sagan rolling past and telling Sam to "Relax" and doing a 'calm down' hand wave?

Maybe I'm missing some cultural thing here, but I'm not that enthusiastic about it!

Thats just Sagan I think, pure jest and nothing in it and I doubt Sam thought otherwise. I'd be more bothered by Luke Rowe's Paddy remark in a similar video of his other stage win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

There is every chance that Sam, the most decorated Irish sports person of 2020, who has entered the history books alongside some of Irelands greatest athletes already with hopefully much more to come, he will always be remembered for what he has accomplished this year And will be able to walk around in public for the rest of his days without being recognized because we either see him with a helmet and sunglasses or a mask on!

LOL. I often bump into guys I've chatted to when racing and don't recognise them with normal clothes and no helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

LOL. I often bump into guys I've chatted to when racing and don't recognise them with normal clothes and no helmet.

A well known inter county hurler was comparing notes with an inter county footballer one night and the upshot was that he wasn’t getting as much action from females as the footballer.

He came to the conclusion that the compulsory Wearing of helmets wasn’t affording him any benefits on nights out!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Morrisp

Spot on I seen it , he no right tell him how enjoy his win . Never liked Sagan

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Just looked like a simple wave of "hello, well done"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've been chatting to lads on touring spins for tens of minutes and then at tthe coffee stop, dont recognise them without hats and glasses...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Just looked like a simple wave of "hello, well done"

Just watched it again and I think that’s exactly it. Congratulated him after the line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    526964.jpg

This was a special moment nearly moreso than seeing him in green.
    We've always wanted to see the Irish National Champions jersey showcased at the highest level. I think qualifies..............

526963.jpg

It's great to see national champions Jersey there. But kind of funny that he had to change out of green Jersey, into national Jersey to go get awarded the green Jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I read it as an 'acknowledgement' wave, and I'm pretty certain he said "congrats".

Advertisement