Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 21 Paris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

dulpit wrote: »
    .....kind of funny that he had to change out of green Jersey, into national Jersey to go get awarded the green Jersey.

Standard process every day for every jersey winner at every race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Ah positive thoughts lads, Sam is scoring 50 on the line with no deviation. :)

Wasn't online for this yesterday so enjoying unrolling the thread from earlier on.

Good shout here :D
    I'm not the better for that. I thought he'd gone too early

I shouted exactly that at my TV!
    radiata wrote: »
    Here's the final kilometer to watch again and again.
    What a way to finish it, delighted for him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6purZa27ZQ

That's even better without commentary, being able to hear his shouts of delight after the finish line is brilliant!

Couple of things about the sprint, that might have been mentioned in the pages I'm still catching up on! Sagan and Viviani both spent time out in the wind fighting for position in the run-in, really shows the value of having the QS train to sit on. Ewan must have been shot, never in any sort of position to contest the sprint. Viviani has gone massively backwards hasn't he? Considering that QS refused to meet his financial demands (afaik), Cofidis have paid a lot of money for someone who performed as an also-ran in this TDF.
    And last - pretty much nobody made up ground on Sam in the sprint until he sat up, Sagan, Viviani never came out of the wheels to challenge. Whether that was fatigue or Bennett's power...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

For a second i thought Sam raised the victory arm too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Dcully wrote: »
    For a second i thought Sam raised the victory arm too early.

He didn't. He won.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ewan must have been shot, never in any sort of position to contest the sprint. Viviani has gone massively backwards hasn't he? Considering that QS refused to meet his financial demands (afaik), Cofidis have paid a lot of money for someone who performed as an also-ran in this TDF.
    And last - pretty much nobody made up ground on Sam in the sprint until he sat up, Sagan, Viviani never came out of the wheels to challenge. Whether that was fatigue or Bennett's power...
    Ewan was really battling the time cut all week. Even in the ITT, he had to go pretty deep to make sure as he had no reference point at all.

I think lockdown really hampered Sagan and Viviani.

Sagan because he just doesn't like the turbo, I think when he was asked whether he'd do any zwift racing, he replied with something about it not being proper bike riding. Although I think he's not really enjoying his cycling the last year or two. I said on other threads, I could see him retiring at the end of this contract. Or doing a similar to Van der Poel, signing with a smaller team (backed by Specialized) and doing MTB/ Cross/ whatever he wants!

Viviani was locked down so much, he couldn't even turbo on his balcony. But has any sprinter or rider left DQS and even matched their previous results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

StefanFal wrote: »
    He didn't. He won.

I think he's probably aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Macy0161 wrote: »
    But has any sprinter or rider left DQS and even matched their previous results?

Cav Is probably the closest

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Morrisp

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Just looked like a simple wave of "hello, well done"

By saying calm down and in its tone and ex team mate , iam sure his English is good enough to simple say those words then , and to re enforced this if watch video Sam goes but pulls back from physical in this age. To him .

Sad loser and trying steel his moment and put him in place is what I see

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Morrisp wrote: »
    By saying calm down and in its tone and ex team mate , iam sure his English is good enough to simple say those words then , and to re enforced this if watch video Sam goes but pulls back from physical in this age. To him .

Methinks that you are seeing too much in just a simple raising of the fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I doubt he is no more a 'sad loser' than anyone who loses.
    As the sprint finished and the first three had just crossed the line, Mads Pederson reaches out and pats Bennet on the back, while at the same time Peter Sagan reaches back to congratulate him with a handshake. Bennet is so preoccupied with just winning that he probably hardly notices, but you can be certain that as he watches back he will.
    Next week, it will be training as usual, and planning the next race.
    Sagan was most likely not expecting to have to contest the green jersey, and was (like anyone) pissed at losing points during the spat with Van Aert.
    He and his team piled on the pressure for weeks, but Quick Step and Bennett held their nerve and came through as winners.
    It's rivaleries like this that make sport interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I thought it was clear enough Sagan was congratulating Sam. He was a grumpy nob at some of the earlier sprints, but think it's reading too much into it to suggest anything else. Right across the line doing 60kph+ on cobbles, it's going to be a touch/ fist bump or whatever.
    neris wrote: »
    Cav Is probably the closest
    Maybe, I guess he had better results going to them too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Cav is also pretty much the best pure sprinter there’s been so he’s an outlier in most respects!

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Methinks that you are seeing too much in just a simple raising of the fingers.

Did you watch video hear the way said calm down ?

My comment does not make impression of someone raising fingers .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,180 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

buffalo wrote: »
    I read it as an 'acknowledgement' wave, and I'm pretty certain he said "congrats".

Looks like he went to shake hands but Sam didn't see him so he just waved.

He also tried to shake hands crossing the line and Sam misread it and punched his arm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Looks like he went to shake hands but Sam didn't see him so he just waved.

He also tried to shake hands crossing the line and Sam misread it and punched his arm
    Don't think Sam saw Sagan's hand after crossing the line, too distracted with celebrating the win. Think people are reading too much into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Did you watch video hear the way said calm down ?

My comment does not make impression of someone raising fingers .

I wouldn't read too much into it......most likely a bit of banter....Sam and the rest of the DQT team were doing a lot of jumping and shouting.....And Sagan seems to have dry sense of humour.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

We have a hero, we don't need a villain.

Sagan's and Bora's response to Sam taking jersey is what made the race. Sam has a more valuable jersey because he had to fight so hard for it.

Sagan kept having a go, despite Sam's dominance at every sprint.

Sagan won green jersey's with less effort than he put in this year. He's not at his peak, for whatever reason; would have thought he would win a few more monuments but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

https://twitter.com/wlrfm/status/1307929652682514434

Video from the Bennett house for the sprint.

We have a hero, we don't need a villain.

Sagan's and Bora's response to Sam taking jersey is what made the race. Sam has a more valuable jersey because he had to fight so hard for it.

Sagan kept having a go, despite Sam's dominance at every sprint.

Sagan won green jersey's with less effort than he put in this year. He's not at his peak, for whatever reason; would have thought he would win a few more monuments but who knows

Wonderful isn’t it .

Junior wrote: »

His dad wearing Bora shorts :pac:

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »

One thing is certain after this tour and thats that ourselves and the Slovenians do celebrating very differently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Do we know if Bennett is going to ride either the Vuelta or Giro?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

dulpit wrote: »
    Do we know if Bennett is going to ride either the Vuelta or Giro?

He won’t be going to the Giro. Vuelta is a possibility. A lot will depend on how he recovers from this. Unreal amount of cycling coming up with monuments clashing with Grand Tours (that overlap) so I’d imagine he’ll be busy anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

Great footage from Saint Morkov's bike coming up to the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEVHNpk2ZEQ&ab_channel=FloBikes

Great footage from Saint Morkov's bike coming up to the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEVHNpk2ZEQ&ab_channel=FloBikes

That's brilliant. Love Morkov's reaction too, "that was a fvcking dream" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Dodge wrote: »
    He won’t be going to the Giro. Vuelta is a possibility. A lot will depend on how he recovers from this. Unreal amount of cycling coming up with monuments clashing with Grand Tours (that overlap) so I’d imagine he’ll be busy anyway

Probably wont get a chane to defend the National championships either.

Here's the interview from Off The Ball this morning.

https://www.otbsports.com/other-sports/expectation-crippling-sam-bennett-1079121

He said he's got 3 more classics / semi-classics coming up but that there may be more to come. Said he doesn't know when he'll get home which I imagine means the nationals are out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

LOL. I often bump into guys I've chatted to when racing and don't recognise them with normal clothes and no helmet.

I met one of the lads in the club I was in a few years back and had to do a double take - he was bald as a coot - I'd never seem him without the lid, This was after having been out for the weekend spin with him for most of the previous year :D

Here's the interview from Off The Ball this morning.

https://www.otbsports.com/other-sports/expectation-crippling-sam-bennett-1079121

He said he's got 3 more classics / semi-classics coming up but that there may be more to come. Said he doesn't know when he'll get home which I imagine means the nationals are out for sure.

Ide say it would be a bumper crowd if he shows up which is both good and bad these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

JMcL wrote: »
    I met one of the lads in the club I was in a few years back and had to do a double take - he was bald as a coot - I'd never seem him without the lid, This was after having been out for the weekend spin with him for most of the previous year :D

i was in a shop one day waiting to be served, gave a nod to a guy that was waiting too, we were both there for about 5 min until it was his turn, when he started talking the shop assistant, i recognised his voice, turns out i had been cycling with him twice a week for the previous 4 months, just had never seen him without a helmet and sun glasses.

I cautiously asked him was his name John when he was finished at the till :pac:

Advertisement