Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 21 Paris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ide say it would be a bumper crowd if he shows up which is both good and bad these days

Nationals are been run on a closed road circuit with no spectators - from the email I got I think morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,178 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Junior wrote: »
    Nationals are been run on a closed road circuit with no spectators - from the email I got I think morning.

I expected the start finished to be closed but was hoping I could perch somewhere along the route

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Do you know what the route is Junior?

lennymc wrote: »
    Do you know what the route is Junior?

It's on the Newcastle West cycling facebook but not easy find.

TT route is NW to Rathkeale and back and the RR starts in Knockaderry and follows a 18km loop north east of the village and back in on North west

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I expected the start finished to be closed but was hoping I could perch somewhere along the route

They are looking for volunteers to marshal.you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Here's the interview from Off The Ball this morning.

https://www.otbsports.com/other-sports/expectation-crippling-sam-bennett-1079121

He said he's got 3 more classics / semi-classics coming up but that there may be more to come. Said he doesn't know when he'll get home which I imagine means the nationals are out for sure.

He was on with Claire Byrne as well, he said he didn't think he'll be back for the nationals at all - the travel restrictions with Covid plus other events in Belgium/etc will get in the way.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    They are looking for volunteers to marshal.you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Where can I sign up and do I need experience or accreditation. Honestly ide work the weekend of it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Great footage from Saint Morkov's bike coming up to the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEVHNpk2ZEQ&ab_channel=FloBikes

He's a real big gear person isn't he Sam?

I shall be using Saint Morkov from now on!

Where Sam grew up in Carrick :D

527034.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Where Sam grew up in Carrick :D

527034.jpeg

Thats gas alright :)
    Thats actually where Sams house is, not where his parents live. ;)

• Advertisement

i thought Bennett Close was just behind Sagan view?

lennymc wrote: »
    i thought Bennett Close was just behind Sagan view?

No, sadly Sagan View got moved.

It's on the Newcastle West cycling facebook but not easy find.

TT route is NW to Rathkeale and back and the RR starts in Knockaderry and follows a 18km loop north east of the village and back in on North west

https://www.facebook.com/cyclingireland/posts/3237757779646337 - NWCC linked to Cycling Ireland details in the link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

red_ken wrote: »

That's absolutely lovely! Like really heartwarmingly lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

That's absolutely lovely! Like really heartwarmingly lovely.

Great, wasn't it?

As an aside, the Sporza commentators and presenters always remind me of this guy-
    527075.jpg

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Great footage from Saint Morkov's bike coming up to the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEVHNpk2ZEQ&ab_channel=FloBikes

MICHAEL MØRKØV should lead out the next St. Patrick's day parade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

CMcsporty wrote: »

Andre Greipel can back off, all the praise in the world will not tempt Mørkøv to Israel Start Up Nation for 2021 although it is interesting to see the respect Morkov has within the peloton from a former top sprinter whom he never rode with (IIRC)

https://twitter.com/cycling_visual/status/1308308266791903234

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Top lead out men are like gold dust. Mark Renshaw was the first super quick lead out man I remember (for Cav)

But the sprinter is still the star. Sam let Markov’s wheel go on Sunday because he (rightfully) thought following Trek was the better choice

CMcsporty wrote: »

Thats an amazing idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Shane Archibold must be feeling very lonely these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Great response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

He was pushing a massive gear it seemed in the final sprint. Is that unusual? Seemed to be spinning slower than others in the final sprint

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Ceepo wrote: »
    Great response :)

Had he no flemish or Wallonian to throw out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Dodge wrote: »
    Top lead out men are like gold dust. Mark Renshaw was the first super quick lead out man I remember (for Cav)

But the sprinter is still the star. Sam let Markov’s wheel go on Sunday because he (rightfully) thought following Trek was the better choice

The way he was able to split Sam and Sagan in the intermediate sprints would suggest to me that if he was sprinting for himself he would be a regular top ten flat stage finisher at any level.

Guys like that need to be looked after well if a team wants to keep them

neris wrote: »
    Shane Archibold must be feeling very lonely these days

He was a fine leadout but Sam is at another level now. Morkov is fantastic and hopefully DQS give him enough shots at his own wins to keep him round because as he was always very well regarded some teams will have taken notice of his high finishes in this tour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

He was a fine leadout but Sam is at another level now. Morkov is fantastic and hopefully DQS give him enough shots at his own wins to keep him round because as he was always very well regarded some teams will have taken notice of his high finishes in this tour

Morkov knows his role. He won’t beat the top sprinters. It’s 7 years since he won a race outside of Denmark

It sounds like I’m trying to knock him and I’m really not. The top lead out men get well paid because their job is so hard to do right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Morkov knows his role. He won’t beat the top sprinters. It’s 7 years since he won a race outside of Denmark

It sounds like I’m trying to knock him and I’m really not. The top lead out men get well paid because their job is so hard to do right.

Speaking of lead out, one thing I noticed in a video shared previously with an on board camera (possibly on Morkov?) is that there didn't seem to be any words exchanged between any of the cyclists, it was almost instinctual for all parties. Some training I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

dulpit wrote: »
    Speaking of lead out, one thing I noticed in a video shared previously with an on board camera (possibly on Morkov?) is that there didn't seem to be any words exchanged between any of the cyclists, it was almost instinctual for all parties. Some training I guess..

Yeah, I suppose it's pretty noisy with the wind noise already. Not easy to be heard without roaring, and even then it's going to be indistinct. Not easy roaring when you are at max effort and max focus either. Bit of training and bit of a plan seems to be the best idea!

• Advertisement

Won a Road Race...

Advertisement