Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weak calf- 3 weeks old

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Are you giving anything like probiotic yoghurt / eggs, with calves on strong antibiotics you're affecting good gut bacteria aswell as the bad
    Refuse to allow one of the vets in local practice onto farm here

I was thinking along the same lines and saved this article yesterday, an actimel in a flask of warm full fat dairy milk overnight. Add a spoon or two of glucose to sweeten it and she just might eat it, if just a cupful was mixed into some of the meal.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/feeding-yoghurt-milk-good-calves/

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

whelan2 wrote: »
    Yes, that's what vet prescribed.

Fair enough 🀷*♂️ The draxxin would stop the noroclav working so it’s not something I would ever combine🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Are you giving anything like probiotic yoghurt / eggs, with calves on strong antibiotics you're affecting good gut bacteria aswell as the bad
    Refuse to allow one of the vets in local practice onto farm here

I was thinking along those lines myself, but it's a suckler calf. How would you give them? Want to avoid tubing, if I can. I've tried getting it to drink from a teated bottle but no way would it drink.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was thinking along those lines myself, but it's a suckler calf. How would you give them? Want to avoid tubing, if I can. I've tried getting it to drink from a teated bottle but no way would it drink.

Should be able to dose a calf like that without tubing it.
    We make Kefir here for largest range of good bacteria, I take it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

For sick calves here I make up a paste just fluid enough to suck up with big 60ml plastic syringe (cut off most of tip)and dose down throat slowly. ( Think Angel Delight for consistency !)calf is nearly eating rather than drinking. For scour I mix Koalin powder( chalky), glucose and 2 tablespoons of salt. For your calf (not scouring ? ) mix probiotic yoghurt egg glucose( maybe leave somewhere warm after mixing ) with some of the kaolin ( I get it at my vets)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You can give natural yoghurt with a dosing syringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I wonder if this actually works, but worth a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQa7iRuKODo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How is the calf now patsy?

She's a week off the last antibiotic. She's still plodding along. Hanging in there. I think anyone else would have put her down by now.
    She drinking the cow and eating meal. I've also starting sprinkling some milk powder on the meal. Neighbour said to do this. I thought last night she was starting to breath heavy again.
    Even if she does live, I can't see her amounting to anything.

• Advertisement

So you still have no confirmed diagnosis from the vet?

He was on about microplasma in the nasal area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Our Vet reckoned that we had four or five cases over the past two years due to the fact that the calves also had ear infections. Apparently ear infections can be one of the symptoms. Calves were treated as normal with antibiotics, dexameth, rehydration fluids and I washed the ears out with warm salt water. They all made a recovery but we vaccinate calves (RS+PI3) on arrival so that probably helps them.

Mycoplasma?
    Have you had any previous instances of this? Stick with it, you've come too far with it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

She's a week off the last antibiotic. She's still plodding along. Hanging in there. I think anyone else would have put her down by now.
    She drinking the cow and eating meal. I've also starting sprinkling some milk powder on the meal. Neighbour said to do this. I thought last night she was starting to breath heavy again.
    Even if she does live, I can't see her amounting to anything.

Do you have a calf jacket on her? Even a large dog one might help.

gozunda wrote: »
    Do you have a calf jacket on her? Even a large dog one might help.

Don't have one. She's on dry straw in a nice corner anyway.

• Advertisement

Got calf put down today. It was slowly slowly just fading away. Finding it harder to breath. Legs starting to go too.
    First time I ever had to put an animal down.

Sorry - to hear that. I had a bad feeling when I seen you had posted here again.
    Are you getting autopsy done?

Sorry - to hear that. I had a bad feeling when I seen you had posted here again.
    Are you getting autopsy done?
    No. Didn't bother. It was a problem in the nasal area. I felt under its neck last night as it was breathing heavily and you could feel vibration in the area. Lungs were perfect and it was still drinking cow last night. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

No. Didn't bother. It was a problem in the nasal area. I felt under its neck last night as it was breathing heavily and you could feel vibration in the area. Lungs were perfect and it was still drinking cow last night. Ah well.

You worked hard for that calf. Sorry to hear it's dead. Had one here that got pneumonia during the summer. She was coming along ok and I said to my dad last week she will be ok if she doesn't do anything stupid. Next morning she was stuck in the meal through and died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That’s a balls but you did the best that could be done. Kinder in the long term, no farmer is comfortable with a suffering animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

Welcome to the club Patsy

You did everything right all along, not nice but just chalk it down and move on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Got calf put down today. It was slowly slowly just fading away. Finding it harder to breath. Legs starting to go too.
    First time I ever had to put an animal down.

Assuming it was Laryngeal Diphtheria.... the odds were always against you. You tried, that's all you've control of.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Shame after you tried so hard Patsy. Though thank you for the thread, diphtheria wasn't something I even knew calves could get, another one for the brain to remember in years to come :pac:

Advertisement