Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walks within the Boundaries of Dublin County during Covid Restrictions

Options
  • 20-09-2020 2:54pm

We Dubs are now very restricted in what we can do, or even wish to do to keep safe if we are more vulnerable. Outdoor exercise is always good for the health & morale, and if we can enjoy a takeaway coffee it can be the next best thing to relaxing for a while in a coffee shop. We don't all want to be crowding to the same places, so this can be a place for suggestions for lesser known places where we can enjoy a nice stroll or a slightly more energetic hike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My number one (cos I live nearby) is the Liffey Walkway from Chapelizod to the Memorial Gardens. Gorgeous and can see the rowers from the rowing clubs on the river too. Coffee in the Hilton Kilmainham after.

Next up is the Royal Hospital Grounds.

Then the Howth walk from the Summit down to the Dart Station. Not the narrow vertigo inducing path, but there is a path parallel to that which is wide and very easy to walk on. Coffee and delicious scones in the Summit before starting out.

The Great South Wall walk out to the statue at Poolbeg. Have to go through an industrial wasteland to the start, but it is a great walk once there.

I'll think of more, don't want to be indulgent and clog up the thread.

If you time the tide correctly (always on an ebb), with a pair of wellies/waders on, one can walk across the width of Sandymount Strand from one of the car parks to Shelly Banks/South Wall. But it needs caution with deeper channels etc, the warning signs are there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

My number one (cos I live nearby) is the Liffey Walkway from Chapelizod to the Memorial Gardens. Gorgeous and can see the rowers from the rowing clubs on the river too. Coffee in the Hilton Kilmainham after.

Next up is the Royal Hospital Grounds.

Then the Howth walk from the Summit down to the Dart Station. Not the narrow vertigo inducing path, but there is a path parallel to that which is wide and very easy to walk on. Coffee and delicious scones in the Summit before starting out.

The Great South Wall walk out to the statue at Poolbeg. Have to go through an industrial wasteland to the start, but it is a great walk once there.

I'll think of more, don't want to be indulgent and clog up the thread.

There's a lighthouse at the end of the South Bull Wall and usually a few guys fishing, it's a great walk, walking out into the bay.

There's a statue at the end of the North Bull Wall.

Both are great walks.

The Phoenix Park is a wonderland for walkers, all sorts of views.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

St Catherine's Park in Lucan is huge. Many of the walking trails make you feel like you're in a forest deep in Wicklow or Kerry such is the scale of wooded area and the Liffey runs through it also. You often see canoeists challenging the rapids that form in the river at that location. Main entrance by Clonee Road with a smaller one by McDonalds/petrol station.

The Royal canal is a lovely walk all the way out beyond Clonsilla where it gets really rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

imme wrote: »
    There's a lighthouse at the end of the South Bull Wall and usually a few guys fishing, it's a great walk, walking out into the bay.

There's a statue at the end of the North Bull Wall.

Both are great walks.

The Phoenix Park is a wonderland for walkers, all sorts of views.

Yep. I’m out to the Phoenix park twice a week now, Monday was beautiful, out of the car, walking at a sensible distance but relatively close to the deer who were just chilling lying down on the grass beside military road car park, huge fûckers but very relaxed and placid, nobody going too near to them bothering them..

It’s really an often forgotten wonderland of placid beauty and nature in the city. I’m going to keep going there ... so relaxing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

You could escape over the dublin mountains like the von trapp family

Strumms wrote: »
    Yep. I’m out to the Phoenix park twice a week now, Monday was beautiful, out of the car, walking at a sensible distance but relatively close to the deer who were just chilling lying down on the grass beside military road car park, huge fûckers but very relaxed and placid, nobody going too near to them bothering them..

It’s really an often forgotten wonderland of placid beauty and nature in the city. I’m going to keep going there ... so relaxing.

Agreed. The Phoenix Park is a great spot these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The walk from Dun Laoighaire dart station to the top of Killiney Hill is quite nice, then afterwards you can stop in Dalkey for some lunch

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    You could escape over the dublin mountains like the von trapp family

Once you don't hop over the ridge into County Wicklow! :D

ongarboy wrote: »
    St Catherine's Park in Lucan is huge. Many of the walking trails make you feel like you're in a forest deep in Wicklow or Kerry such is the scale of wooded area and the Liffey runs through it also. You often see canoeists challenging the rapids that form in the river at that location. Main entrance by Clonee Road with a smaller one by McDonalds/petrol station.

The Royal canal is a lovely walk all the way out beyond Clonsilla where it gets really rural.

Must have a look over that way, an area I'm not too familiar with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

All the main walks mentioned but others might include the walks around Marley Park in Rathfarnham and also Ardgillen Castle in Balbriggan, especially Argillen as the park there goes right down to the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Muahahaha wrote: »
    , especially Argillen as the park there goes right down to the sea

As does Shanganah Park in Shankill

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Agreed. The Phoenix Park is a great spot these days.

That’s a super photo. I was over this way myself and got a closeup of them but not remotely as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Once you don't hop over the ridge into County Wicklow! :D

Checkpoint at Sally Gap this morning.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Dun Laoghaire piers are both great for a walk but on a busy day and in the current climate, I'd recommend the West Pier. It's quieter, more like it's original state than the more modernised East Pier and you'll see people coming in and out in their boats and SUP boards from Coal Quay too.

527209.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Hike up to Kippure from Ballinascorney wood - you are at the very border of Dublin and at its highest point too

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's literally miles of walkway along the Dodder, from Ballsbridge all the way up as far as Rathfarnham (which is as far as I've done, but it goes further). You have to briefly break out onto the road in a couple of spots, but it's an absolutely gorgeous walk.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There's literally miles of walkway along the Dodder, from Ballsbridge all the way up as far as Rathfarnham (which is as far as I've done, but it goes further). You have to briefly break out onto the road in a couple of spots, but it's an absolutely gorgeous walk.

I'm right beside it, very pleasant.

St Anne's Park, then across the Causeway to the North Bull, back over the Wooden Bridge and stroll along Clontarf. DART nearby too.

Sandymount, then walk through the Embassy Belt and goggle at the size of the houses on Ailesbury Road etc. back down to the Canal and over to Grand Canal Dock. An interesting and enjoyable walk doesn't HAVE to involve trees, and the sea etc. exclusively! I enjoy seeing how the other half lives sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I live right beside it, bushy all the way down is a great walk

• Advertisement

Another favourite is from DART station Killiney up the Vico Road (it's those big gaffs again lol!), down Coliemore Road and into Dalkey.

And from Seapoint to DL and out the West Pier as suggested.

Portmarnock to Malahide along the sea.

Glenasmole and the walk around the Bohernabreena Reservoir, I think it was mentioned before. Fabulous and not overrun much either.

Loving all your suggestions, am always on the hunt for something different.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Waterstown Park in Palmerstown is lovely, down by the Liffey. Dog park, playgrounds and plenty of benches too.

You can go off the beaten track a bit too, right under the M50 toll bridge and down to the weir.

Twee. wrote: »
    Waterstown Park in Palmerstown is lovely, down by the Liffey. Dog park, playgrounds and plenty of benches too.

You can go off the beaten track a bit too, right under the M50 toll bridge and down to the weir.

Friends of ours live near there. During the 2k lockdown we were able to go that far, and went down Mill Lane, into the magnificent open space (football grounds) along the Liffey and saw all the old mills. Across the road is the entrance to the old graveyard, from where you can walk in a bit and access Waterstown.

It is indeed a lovely spot, especially along the river watching the kids learn how to use their canoes etc. But the hills back up are a bit steep, me poor knees.

Never knew about the weir under the M50 Bridge. Will look out for it next time I'm there.

Friends of ours live near there. During the 2k lockdown we were able to go that far, and went down Mill Lane, into the magnificent open space (football grounds) along the Liffey and saw all the old mills. Across the road is the entrance to the old graveyard, from where you can walk in a bit and access Waterstown.

It is indeed a lovely spot, especially along the river watching the kids learn how to use their canoes etc. But the hills back up are a bit steep, me poor knees.

Yes there really is a lot to see in the older end of Palmerstown. Haven't been down the old church graveyard, Tig Giuire, since primary school, I must take a stroll down one of these days! Pre-Norman as far as I know.

The weir is about opposite the Wren's Nest part of Strawberry Beds on the other side of the river, quite a bit down.

The hills in Waterstown are steep enough, I've walked my niece down a few times in the buggy and am always out of breath on the way back :P

Twee. wrote: »
    Yes there really is a lot to see in the older end of Palmerstown. Haven't been down the old church graveyard, Tig Giuire, since primary school, I must take a stroll down one of these days! Pre-Norman as far as I know.

The weir is about opposite the Wren's Nest part of Strawberry Beds on the other side of the river, quite a bit down.

The hills in Waterstown are steep enough, I've walked my niece down a few times in the buggy and am always out of breath on the way back :P

I was fascinated by the iron bridge across the Liffey on the East side of Waterstown. So being the nosey git that I am I looked it up and it was access for the staff from Palmerstown to the Guinness estate at Farmleigh amongst other things. I think the local community on both sides of the river are hoping to have it restored. Called the Silver Bridge, but you probably know all this!

Apparently the issue with funding it is due to the fact each side a different county council - South Dublin Co Co and Fingal Co Co, who will take the lead, where will the budget come from... That could be gossip now but I'd fair believe it! There was a feasibility study funded a few years ago if I recall correctly.

Advertisement