Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the far left so pro lockdown ?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s no coincidence that the anti lockdown nutters, are mostly anti mask nutters , anti distancing screwballs, anti covid being potentially a deadly virus despite quite considerable evidence and deaths to confirm it is...psychologists will be busy over the next few years.

What evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I've noticed more a case of conspiracy theorists and anti-masker types on the extremes of pretty much every side of politics. Have a look at the protester groups in say France, and you'll find them on the left and the right and I've seen that here in Ireland too.

If you're looking at everything through the lens of some polarised American battle between two bunkered groups who, in reality, are both largely centre right / right in terms of their socioeconomic outlook, then I would suggest you're getting a very distorted view of Irish or generally non-American politics.

What I see in American politics is more a battle between a cult of personality party that seems to be turning from the GOP into what looks more like an autocratic political grouping and a broader centre/centre right Democratic party.

This notion that there's some battle between the right and the left or that that the Democrats are 'extreme left' is nothing but propaganda garbage.

People are throwing around terms like "Left" and "Liberal" as if they're insults, without even knowing what they mean. It's debasing political debate and it's just ridiculous.

As for the 'far left' here. On what planet are FF and FG 'the left?' .. certainly none that I'm aware of!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

This must be the first issue ever that Paul Murphy, Dick Boyd Barrett & co have supported the government on, indeed a lot of the so called far right who protest lockdown would have been past voters for the AAA-PBP.

Because they get off on controlling people. They want power over you.

I'm myself a turncoat. I know this is a hoax but want the lock-downs to go on as it's an experiment in Universal Basic Income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Good cough etiquette and proper hand hygiene is a lot better than masks imo. Masks give people a false sense of security, for example some people might think they don't need to wash/sanitize their hands frequently or at all if wearing a mask...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This must be the first issue ever that Paul Murphy, Dick Boyd Barrett & co have supported the government on, indeed a lot of the so called far right who protest lockdown would have been past voters for the AAA-PBP.
    so Martin and Varadkar are far left now?

The far left is not pro lockdown in fact some of the far left are anti lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think the various surveys show a substantial majority of the adult population in favour of the current measures. I personally think they do go too far, but I will respect the restrictions. I think you will find people from across the political spectrum supporting the current position. I really do not see this as anything driven by any political divide

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It’s no coincidence that the anti lockdown nutters, are mostly anti mask nutters , anti distancing screwballs, anti covid being potentially a deadly virus despite quite considerable evidence and deaths to confirm it is...psychologists will be busy over the next few years.
    Can you please show some respect for people who have differing views to yourself. Describing whole swathes of the population as "nutters" is really unacceptable (in the same way describing things like masks as "muzzles" is) - More commentary in this fashion will result in cards and/or threadnbans

• Registered Users Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Risteard81 wrote: »
    What evidence?

You want evidence the psychological society of Ireland have a lot. Contact them. They’ll put you in touch with someone. I’m sure they’ll be overjoyed at your ‘what evidence’ schtick considering what’s happening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Good cough etiquette and proper hand hygiene is a lot better than masks imo. Masks give people a false sense of security, for example some people might think they don't need to wash/sanitize their hands frequently or at all if wearing a mask...

Really?

Personally if someone is infected beside me in a shop, I'm happy they are wearing a mask, I couldn't give a bollíx if they wash their hands or not.

I'm not touching them.

Because they get off on controlling people. They want power over you.

I'm myself a turncoat. I know this is a hoax but want the lock-downs to go on as it's an experiment in Universal Basic Income.

Interesting. Agreed on it being another hoax, in the sense that there *is* a virus, but it's being exaggerated for another agenda. The (even inflated) data reflects this.

If you're saying universal income would be a good thing, I would argue fairness/equality is not why they're actually doing it. It's about control, as you point out. Reliance on the state and welfare means they can more strongly mandate vaccines and other measures. Non-compliance leaves you at their mercy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Boggles wrote: »
    Really?

Personally if someone is infected beside me in a shop, I'm happy they are wearing a mask, I couldn't give a bollíx if they wash their hands or not.

I'm not touching them.

But you may be touching stuff that they touch right? Not sure how common that mode of transfer would be but they may as well use hand sanitiser..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Now, wouldn't those people be real thick gob****es then.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

AdamD wrote: »
    But you may be touching stuff that they touch right? Not sure how common that mode of transfer would be but they may as well use hand sanitiser..

That's why I practice frequent hand hygiene.

I can't legislate for what anyone else does, but if they are maskless spewing virus into the air, no amount of hand washing will protect me from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I hate the lockdown but I wear a mask and I don't laugh at the potential seriousness of this virus.

Where am I on your scale?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I am pro people living their lives without treasonous interference by the State. Leo is a well-known fascist, and he was the architect of these original treasonous restrictions (whilst running an unelected junta).

Risteard81, nearly every post of yours manages to include some combination of 'fascist(ism), treason(ous), unelected, totalitarian(ism) etc. Your views on the government have been espoused repeatedly and are well known at this stage.

Tone down the rhetoric and discuss the topic of the thread like everyone else. Anything else is trolling and you will incur more mod actions if you keep it up

This applies to all your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Interesting. Agreed on it being another hoax, in the sense that there *is* a virus, but it's being exaggerated for another agenda. The (even inflated) data reflects this.

If you're saying universal income would be a good thing, I would argue fairness/equality is not why they're actually doing it. It's about control, as you point out. Reliance on the state and welfare means they can more strongly mandate vaccines and other measures. Non-compliance leaves you at their mercy.

I will take the free money before the system collapses.

The truth is that there's no cost to printing cash and oligarchs get handouts all the time. It's only a problem if they are given to the public because they don't want an independent middle class.

Instead of actually making stuff businesses just take the free money and buy their own stock as it's easier than actually doing anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Cantillon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Beasty wrote: »
    I think the various surveys show a substantial majority of the adult population in favour of the current measures. I personally think they do go too far, but I will respect the restrictions. I think you will find people from across the political spectrum supporting the current position. I really do not see this as anything driven by any political divide

Which is astonishing given how absolutely idiotic the current measures are. So people are in favor of the economy being ruined, they are in favor of businesses going under, and they are also in favor of the virus continuing to spread, given that schools and most shops are still open...

Pro-economic ruin and pro-virus spread is what the current measures are.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

The_Brood wrote: »
    Which is astonishing given how absolutely idiotic the current measures are. So people are in favor of the economy being ruined, they are in favor of businesses going under, and they are also in favor of the virus continuing to spread, given that schools and most shops are still open...

Pro-economic ruin and pro-virus spread is what the current measures are.

I was watching His Majesty Prince Charles of Wales and the Hannovarians row in behind the WEFs very convenient plan that happened to be around before before da virus called “the great reset”, aka the green new deal. Our experts and leaders have something to run with, a blueprint to refer to! a Roadmap!! a Manifesto!!! Such a great stroke of luck that the idea was on the table at this crucial time.

Advertisement