Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of fused switched spur in en-suite

Options
  • 20-09-2020 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting my en-suite renovated soon and I'm wondering what should be done with an existing fused switched spur supplying an electrically heated towel rail which will be removed. The wall where this is located will be tiled over. The cable comes down vertically from the attic (bungalow) behind a stud wall, so I assume the correct way to handle it would be to remove the cable from the wall completely, but I want to check so that I can make sure it's done correctly at the time and they don't leave the cable in place and tile over the back box which I assume is a no-no.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I've even seen them plaster boarded over and plastered. Found one recently that was like that for 28 years.

it should be quite easy to pull the cable back up the wall. if you don't need a supply for anything else they can disconnect the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks. My issue with leaving it in there is mainly that if someone in the future decides to drill into the wall for whatever reason, they wouldn't expect to find a cable behind it, as the spur has been removed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

pull it out to atiic then put it in a box that's scred to stud.the proper way would be to tear it out
    can you put it to an extract fan

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    pull it out to atiic then put it in a box that's scred to stud.the proper way would be to tear it out
    can you put it to an extract fan
    I'm getting an extractor fan fitted, so yes, that'd be a perfect use for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭blackbox

You could connect a hair drier to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

blackbox wrote: »
    You could connect a hair drier to it.

I assume you meant hand dryer??

Advertisement