Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview installer West Wicklow area

• 20-09-2020 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi All,

Would anyone have a recommendations for a Saorview installer near Blessington? My parents are having trouble getting some channels. The Irish channels are fine, but BBC and some ITV channels have some interference. We can’t figure out the issue.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

The issue is that you are way outside the service area for UK channels. If you wish to receive foreign channels you need a satellite system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SomeDude

They have a Sky satellite dish and a Saorview arial on the roof. It was installed by a company a few years ago and worked fine. They installed two Ariva boxes. Some of the uk channels are either now poor quality or not coming through at all. He had them look at the issue about 6/8 months ago and they said it could be due to damp (but there is none). To be honest, he doesn’t recall everything they said, but ultimately the issue wasn’t resolved. I think it might be due to trees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I also have some ppl in the same area and it looks like their Sky dish is pointing to Kippure.
    The signal is very poor and there are trees blocking line of sight.

Saorview would also point to the same mast at Kippure so if trees are the problem with the Sky dish would the same problem occur with Saorview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

BluePlanet wrote: »
    I also have some ppl in the same area and it looks like their Sky dish is pointing to Kippure.

Kippure is east (87 degrees true according to Garmin) of Blessington so if the dish is pointing towards Kippure, you should be picking up nothing. The dish should be pointing towards the south and at a low angle, the signal comes from a satellite which is orbiting at a point directly over the equator. There are apps which will tell you the compass direction and angle the dish needs to be mounted at, based on your location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Saorview would also point to the same mast at Kippure so if trees are the problem with the Sky dish would the same problem occur with Saorview?

Yes, trees will kill the signal from the satellites, & can badly affect terrestrial TV too.

To affect satellite signals, they need to be pretty close to the dish, or reach above it considerably, as the elevation angle of the satellites will be more than 20 degrees.

Oh, I suppose it just may look like the Sky dish points to Kippure.
    The dish appears to point SW and that is also the direction of Kippure so i drew my own conclusions.
    But yeah, trees in line of sight.

It will be the same with Saorview though.
    There is a block built shed next the house, if the Saorview arial could go on a corner of that we might be able to skirt the major tree line..

Oh, I suppose it just may look like the Sky dish points to Kippure.
    The dish appears to point SW and that is also the direction of Kippure so i drew my own conclusions.
    But yeah, trees in line of sight.

It will be the same with Saorview though.
    There is a block built shed next the house, if the Saorview arial could go on a corner of that we might be able to skirt the major tree line..
    I miss typed the sky dish is pointing SE, more E than S.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SomeDude

I miss typed the sky dish is pointing SE, more E than S.

My dad is now just getting all the Irish channels and bizarrely some of the Channel 4 channels. The other English channels show ‘no signal’. Think we’ll have to get someone to look at it as it doesn’t make sense to me.

Advertisement