Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s First “Romance Scam” - 3 Nigerians Arrested

Options
  • 20-09-2020 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5922838/nigerian-men-romance-fraud-scam/

Rasak Sanni Sadu, Omawale Olamide Owalabi and Samson Ajayi, all originally from Nigeria and aged between 29 and 32, were lifted last Monday as part of Operation Engulf.

They were quizzed before being brought to Dublin District Court yesterday morning charged with a series of suspected fraud offences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

Who would have thought 🙄

Princes among men. Economy class back to Lagos, preferably in shackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,821 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What have they been doing here for a number of years?
    The trio, who had lived in Ireland for a number of years, were remanded in custody to appear in court at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

What have they been doing here for a number of years?

Statistics would gear towards claiming social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Madmax03

splashuum wrote: »
    Probably driving taxi's aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Deport ASAP please!

(And block them from returning under any circumstances, obviously.)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

splashuum wrote: »
    Madmax03 wrote: »
    Probably driving taxi's aswell

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Given that romance scams are online and can done be remotely, you have to fair thick to do it in your country of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

It's big business, saw a documentary on it - can't recall what country it was in africa but an army of lads in internet cafes trying to reel in lonely retirees. Usually pretending to be working in orphanage in afghanistan etc and can only access their money back home. Then dupe them into wiring over they're life savings. Must be dreadful when the penny drops and you cop your life savings are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Princes among men. Economy class back to Lagos, preferably in shackles.
    Rower in galley back to Lagos

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    It's big business, saw a documentary on it - can't recall what country it was in africa but an army of lads in internet cafes trying to reel in lonely retirees. Usually pretending to be working in orphanage in afghanistan etc and can only access their money back home. Then dupe them into wiring over they're life savings. Must be dreadful when the penny drops and you cop your life savings are gone.

Nigeria has long had a reputation for internet scammers (Nigeria 419 etc), so this was likely also Nigeria.

Many years ago I was attempting to sell a Technics Hi-Fi System on ‘Buy and Sell’ website. Some lad in Lagos wanted me to post it to him from Ireland. Yeah right, I wasn’t born yesterday, pal. :)

Rower in galley back to Lagos

Is that better than steerage class?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Very little confidence in this new govt but they should set an example with these and get rid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Is that better than steerage class?

Yes. You have access to the ships gym.

Yes. You have access to the ships gym.

For exactly 16 hours a day. Every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Two of the three have semi decent jobs and one seems to be a naturalised citizen.

The RTE site gave a bit more information on the defendants. I did laugh at this part of on of the bail conditions imposed on the ringleader.
    He also had to agree not to log into any dating app either under his own name or under any fake profiles.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/0919/1166230-money-laundering-charges/

enricoh wrote: »

I have very little sympathy for people who get scammed like this - unless of course they are suffering from dementia or some other degenerative mental condition.

I suspect there are very few people who do this with their life savings. What I mean is it is mostly people who are widowed where their former spouse was the one managing the money, and suddenly they are alone and have a nice nest egg but have no idea how hard it is to actually get that sort of money together.

If you spent all your life putting together a retirement fund, you wouldn't be so quick to give it all away on a whim.

Also think of the real good you could do locally or for your family with that money if it's really burning a hole in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The woman alleges she spent cash on an investment project in the Middle East that never existed after receiving correspondence on the dating website Plenty of Fish last year from a man claiming to be a US oil rig worker.
    It's sad when people are so desperate for love they fall into traps like this.
    At the same time it's so low to prey on women this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

What exactly did they do? No details of the offence and how they scammed someone.

Wonder if it was particularly clever, or, particularly idiotic of the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Revoke citizenship and send them packing ,

But we know how this country works when it comes to foreign imported criminals ,ah sure if they fled a war give them a hug and payrise

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    It's sad when people are so desperate for love they fall into traps like this.
    At the same time it's so low to prey on women this way.

There are plenty of men that fall for these traps too, far more I'd suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

There are plenty of men that fall for these traps too, far more I'd suspect.

Polish lad I work with got scammed on the Russian bride thing on dating apps. Not once, but twice. Sent her money to pay their way out of whatever debt she and her family were in so she could come and join him in Ireland.

Can believe the first time, but 2nd time was ridiculous. He was in looking for advances and loans after that too, wonder did he think third time lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

In order to solve our "too white" problem (as Varadkar calls it), the Irish Government is handing out Irish citizenship to Africans like confetti. This de facto policy should be reconsidered, but unfortunately it will only be enhanced in the coming years. With a massive recession coming, we really cannot afford it any longer.

Kivaro wrote: »
    In order to solve our "too white" problem (as Varadkar calls it)
    Source please.
    All I can find is reports where he says the Civil Service is notable for being manned almost exclusively by ethnic Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Where's all these doctors and lawyers that the people who push for diversity promised us ???

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Where's all these doctors and lawyers that the people who push for diversity promised us ???

There busy getting stuck off

Polish lad I work with got scammed on the Russian bride thing on dating apps. Not once, but twice. Sent her money to pay their way out of whatever debt she and her family were in so she could come and join him in Ireland.

Can believe the first time, but 2nd time was ridiculous. He was in looking for advances and loans after that too, wonder did he think third time lucky.

How did you become so cynical? :)

Still waiting for a source from Kivaro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I have very little sympathy for people who get scammed like this - unless of course they are suffering from dementia or some other degenerative mental condition.

I suspect there are very few people who do this with their life savings. What I mean is it is mostly people who are widowed where their former spouse was the one managing the money, and suddenly they are alone and have a nice nest egg but have no idea how hard it is to actually get that sort of money together.

If you spent all your life putting together a retirement fund, you wouldn't be so quick to give it all away on a whim.

Also think of the real good you could do locally or for your family with that money if it's really burning a hole in your pocket.

Confidence scams usually offer something for knowingly breaking the law. That’s where the saying that you can’t con an honest man comes from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Well done Ireland.

Advertisement