Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i doing alright financially?

• 20-09-2020 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but i couldn’t find any ‘personal finances’ forum on boards.

i’m 23. living at home with family. i work at a hospital on a zero hours contract. it was my job on the side while in uni. it was handy because it was zero hours. since graduating i’ve been finding my feet but now i know what i want to do.

i’ve gotten a decent amount of work during covid, had a few weeks with not many hours but it’s starting to pick up again. since around march i’ve gotten into a good habit of saving, and now i’ve around €7k saved up. i’m just wondering, for a person my age, in the current climate, is that good? i’ve no idea how other people my age are doing, it’s a bit difficult to find out how others are doing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Of course it's good, obviously long way away from what's needed for a mortgage but it will be a great help.
    You will need a full time permanent job though so I'd be working on that end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭KaneToad

MuchZeus wrote: »
    not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but i couldn’t find any ‘personal finances’ forum on boards.

i’m 23. living at home with family. i work at a hospital on a zero hours contract. it was my job on the side while in uni. it was handy because it was zero hours. since graduating i’ve been finding my feet but now i know what i want to do.

i’ve gotten a decent amount of work during covid, had a few weeks with not many hours but it’s starting to pick up again. since around march i’ve gotten into a good habit of saving, and now i’ve around €7k saved up. i’m just wondering, for a person my age, in the current climate, is that good? i’ve no idea how other people my age are doing, it’s a bit difficult to find out how others are doing.

www.askaboutmoney.com

Better forum for that specific question...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MuchZeus

Of course it's good, obviously long way away from what's needed for a mortgage but it will be a great help.
    You will need a full time permanent job though so I'd be working on that end.

yeah i’m on two panels, one for the civil service and the other for a clerical position in my hospital. it’s a long waiting game...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

what did you go to university for
    what job do you do in the hospital

after the next housing crash buy a house and get 2 roommates to help pay for it

i mean a house not a apartment
    3 bedroom

when you retire you will be glad you did

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MuchZeus

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    what did you go to university for
    what job do you do in the hospital

after the next housing crash buy a house and get 2 roommates to help pay for it

i mean a house not a apartment
    3 bedroom

when you retire you will be glad you did

- got a degree in business
    - work as a care assistant

- i was thinking of an apartment as a starter property then move to a house at some point down the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

AFAIK, there is no such thing as zero-hours contracts in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

7k saved at 23 is ok, if you've been in college for previous years, and hadn't much chance to save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Geuze wrote: »
    7k saved at 23 is ok, if you've been in college for previous years, and hadn't much chance to save.

Honestly, 7k saved at that age is brilliant. Very small percentage of the population in that age group would have that amount saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭One More Toy

You're doing OK, I had 12k saved at 19 and blew it all in college on accommodation and living expenses over 3 years.

Try and contribute to a pension too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭con747

You're doing OK, I had 12k saved at 19 and blew it all in college on accommodation and living expenses over 3 years.

Try and contribute to a pension too

+1 on the save in a company pension scheme. The tax benefits are well worth it alone. The more you can afford to put in the better.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

Spend da 7k on a trip around da world wen it's possible. 23 too young to be looking at future. Enjoy ur yourh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

dockysher wrote: »
    Spend da 7k on a trip around da world wen it's possible. 23 too young to be looking at future. Enjoy ur yourh

I agree. Great savings btw. Also I think you're too young to think about pension. If I was in your shoes I think my priority should be saving for a deposit for a mortgage.

I personally can save approx 20K per annum.

Waste of money.

Or elocution lessons and language classes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Have a look at how this ^^^ message is formed and structured.

Ok?

This is why you shouldn't take this advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think you are doing great. A great piece of advice that I've heard is that the best investment (particularly at your age) is to invest in yourself, to do some further education in an on-demand skill or seek out some experience in your chosen career to boost your future earning potential. I would also start working towards a goal like getting a deposit for a mortgage or going travelling etc depending on what you are into. People will tell you to do one thing or the other but there is value in both and it's completely dependent on the person you are.

Might be an unpopular opinion here but I wouldn't get too hung up on a pension for now - I would wait a few years for that as the money you would put into it now would likely be negligible by the time the pension is drawn down and the money you put into it is arguably more valuable in your hand now I'm terms of the education/travel/experience you could gain in the short term. Although you should get the pension sorted before you hit 30 (at the latest) in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You're doing great, and if you can mentally build a savings (live beneath your means) habit it will give you great comfort throughout your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

OP, I wouldn’t dismiss travel and living abroad for 1/2years as a personal goal.

I’m around your age. I’ve spent a significant amount of cash in recent years traveling and experiencing new and exciting things/cultures.

I hope to do more travel in the next year or so depending on how Covid 19 plays out.

Personally, at our age, I would not want to purchase a house or have a mortgage. For me it would be too much of a commitment and would most likely restrict certain aspects in my life e.g. traveling/living abroad, changing career and giving up a good salary, going back to college etc.

While a mortgage is not on the cards for me in the near future, I do put away a certain amount each month to ensure I am in a good position for when I actually want to buy/build.

Each to their own I suppose.

Advertisement