Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Teaching/Lecturing for 2 days.

Options
  • 20-09-2020 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I was banned from the Teaching/Lecturing forum for 2 days. I did not say anything wrong. Most of my posts have been deleted but I assume the admins can still see them to see that there was nothing very wrong there.

I replied to this post simply saying that it was not a strong logical statement.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    <snip deleted post>

The public has no sympathy for teachers regardless - any time teachers try to raise an issue eg class size the reaction is rabble rabble pay rabble rabble half days rabble rabble holidays - it always amazes me why the vast majority don’t train as teachers with how highly paid it is for no work.

Why? I always see this argument. Surely teachers should have a better grasp of logic.

A member of the public thinking that teachers get paid too much for what they do does not have to equate to either a desire to do that work, or to a statement that it is a highly paid salary.

For example, if I have a kid and I hire the local 17 year old babysitter one evening to mind him/her old while I do something, and that babysitter then charges 25 Euro an hour I might think that that is too much. I don't need to have a desire to give up my 9-5 to become a babysitter in order to have that opinion.

Whether my opinion on the 25 Euro an hour babysitter is "correct" is irrelevant to my point on the logic. A person can think that being a teacher is not a highly paid job but still think that they are paid at too high a rate for the work they actually do.

As for a strike, why didn't they go on "symbolic strike" the last 5 or 6 months they were sitting at home.

I then received this measured and educated retort of my assertion

Blondini wrote: »
    This is not after hours.
    Also, your wonderful groundbreaking ideas have been heard a thousand times before.

I then replied with
    Surely you'd have grasped them by this then - no?

You can argue, and have the opinion that X or Y or Z is a difficult job or hard work. It just annoys me when people appear to think they prove something with what amounts to a simple non-sequitur . The suspicion must be that an argument must not be strong if you have to try to resort to such tactics.

and received this back

Take you long to type that nonsense? because it's about to be deleted.
    Good luck.

Surprised to be receiving such attacks for simply pointing out a logical flaw I think I next posted

Why so bitter?

What is it in your life that is missing? Do you wish you had chosen a different career? Or is it something else? There are people you can talk to

And received this back

This is comedy gold.

To which I replied to point out that I hadn't said anything negative or positive about teachers/salary etc

Actually it is. Because anyone who can read and comprehend will see that I never expressed an opinion vis-a-vis teachers pay/holidays/etc.

I simply tried to educate you on the logical fallacy that was being put forward.

But, as all classes do, there will be a spectrum of ability everywhere in life. Not everyone will be able to get it. Even if, as you yourself readily admitted, it has be explained to you a thousand times before. You just might never be able to get it. It's ok though. Life goes on.

And I received this back

I can actually visualise Donald Trump himself typing that, little hands feverishly pounding the keyboard pacman.gif

Go to bed man, you're out of your depth.

Which I saw as an extremely immature and childish response. So I replied

I think you are spending too much time in the company of 8 year olds to be honest. You come across as very immature.

The posts were extremely immature. I had already tried to point out to the other poster that I hadn't expressed a personal opinion on the subject one way or the other.

I think that I have all the posts here. But almost all my posts have been deleted on the public side. The other poster's have not.

I wasn't the only person to object to that posters attacks on me. Another poster did here

Yeah, everyone’s out of their depth except you, right?

This is no laughing matter or ‘comedy gold’. Disgraceful to suggest so.

I responded to the moderator to object to being banned. I realise that it is not that long ago. However as most of my posts have been deleted, I won't be able to refer to them again if I do not post this now.

I don't think that I did anything wrong other than try to reply in measured ways to increasingly nonsensical attacks. I understand that it is a bit of a closed shop over there. It is one thing to be banned for going against the grain, but another to be banned after being goaded when someone apparently and incorrectly assumed you were going against the grain!

I think there was another post in there where I suggested that they could bring the post into their students if they could not understand it themselves. I am not leaving it out on purpose. I remember it. I just can't find it right now. As I said, it looks like almost all my posts were deleted.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Numerous posts deleted

Only the OP, relevant CMod(s) or Admins are allowed to post in this forum unless invited to contribute by CMod/Admin

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Given the lack of response from CMods I'm overturning this ban and marking resolved

OP you will receive a "warning" note but it will simply state this ban was overturned in the DRP

Advertisement