Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Abbey Fishermen

• 21-09-2020 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi, I'm from Co.Louth and recently have discovered my Great great Grandfather (born 1860) and his father (born circa late 18th century) were abbey fishermen who lived on meat market lane in the old abbey area of Limerick.

I've noticed that they say it consisted of four families but my family isn't included in the list of families. I have the original documents here to prove it, but was wondering who do I speak to as I'd like them to be remembered in some way. and is there a Museum piece somewhere in Limerick dedicated to the abbey fishermen I can visit as I'm headed down that way on Friday for the first time to rediscover my families roots?
    Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

The main 4 families involved in the Abbey Fishermen were Clancy, Hayes, McNamara, and Shanny as these were the people who were compensated for their loss of livelihood. However, there were other families who also fished but whose rights to fish died out included Lyddy, Hartigan, O'Dwyer, Connor and O'Connor. There are a few books on the fishermen the latest being "My Life on the River" by Jackie Clancy edited by his daughter Delia Clancy Cowles. As far as I know its out of print but I'd recommend you check in O'Mahoney's Bookshop on O'Connell Street and they might have a copy or point you in right direction. Also check with the Limerick City Library for information they have (don't know what their opening hours are now with Covid)

https://limerickslife.com/abbey-fishermen/

https://limerickslife.com/abbey-fishermen-plaque/

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Having original documentation relating to the Abbey fishermen would be most interesting. I'm certain that Mathew Potter in the limerick museum would be very interested. As thesimpsons posted O'Mahonys bookshop in O'Connell street worth checking for relevant books or Celtic books across from the Hunt Museum. The abbey fishermen had a proud history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

another site with some information on the fishermen

https://www.shannonrivercorbally.com

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭The Darkroom

Thanks everyone for the reply. I'm going to check out that book you mentioned and see if I can find it. I will also see if I can contact Matthew Potter. Does anyone know the whereabout of where the old abbey was? It is no longer but I saw a map of 1901 showing meat market lane (where my great great grandfather lived with his wife and kids) but unfortunately it didn't show me where in Limerick city it used to be. Any help would be appreciated.

Also I'm just wondering where I can locate the abbey bridge that the plaque to the fishermen is posted on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Thanks everyone for the reply. I'm going to check out that book you mentioned and see if I can find it. I will also see if I can contact Matthew Potter. Does anyone know the whereabout of where the old abbey was? It is no longer but I saw a map of 1901 showing meat market lane (where my great great grandfather lived with his wife and kids) but unfortunately it didn't show me where in Limerick city it used to be. Any help would be appreciated.

Meat Market Lane still exists, though it's not as long as it used to be. It used to stretch across Sheep Street but a block of flats is there now.

St Francis' Abbey itself is long gone, but the area around St Mary's Church is still known by the same name.

Abbey Bridge is here.

Meat Market Lane still exists, though it's not as long as it used to be. It used to stretch across Sheep Street but a block of flats is there now.

St Francis' Abbey itself is long gone, but the area around St Mary's Church is still known by the same name.

Abbey Bridge is here.

Thanks for this, I tried looking up meat market lane in limerick for directions to get there but can't find it? Have you a possible way of showing me how to get there from pier hotel where I'll be lodged? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Thanks for this, I tried looking up meat market lane in limerick for directions to get there but can't find it? Have you a possible way of showing me how to get there from pier hotel where I'll be lodged? Thanks.

Click on the links in my post, they’re Google maps links.

The Celtic Bookstore, opposite the Hunt Museum, might still have a book about the Abbey Fishermen by Sharon Clancy (I think?). She's on twitter and would probably be interested in your documents, she's called @Limerickslife.

There's a guy in Corbally who gives river tours on his boat if you can get in touch with him, Pat Lysaght. Think he knows a lot about the history of the river, maybe the posters on here who are still local to Limerick know how to get in touch with him. I've been meaning to take to the tour myself over the years but have never made it back and been organised enough to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Head to St Mary's Catherdal after passing the entrance gate turn right (only if walking) at the traffic lights then it's the laneway on your left. 5 min walk max.

The Celtic Bookstore, opposite the Hunt Museum, might still have a book about the Abbey Fishermen by Sharon Clancy (I think?). She's on twitter and would probably be interested in your documents, she's called @Limerickslife.

There's a guy in Corbally who gives river tours on his boat if you can get in touch with him, Pat Lysaght. Think he knows a lot about the history of the river, maybe the posters on here who are still local to Limerick know how to get in touch with him. I've been meaning to take to the tour myself over the years but have never made it back and been organised enough to do it.

Thanks for this. I'm guessing this was the sharon I was talking to. We discovered that there were two groups the abbey fishermens guild and then the Town Wall fishermen. My family were the town wall fishermen so not abbey fishermen at all. She shared some stories with me and snippets of newspapers about what my family got up to and she showed me the books where they are mentioned. I'm gonna look in those book stores.

The boat tour sounds amazing. I'll try googling him to see what I can find. Thanks everyone for you help and any info you can find would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

We discovered that there were two groups the abbey fishermens guild and then the Town Wall fishermen. My family were the town wall fishermen so not abbey fishermen at all.

Thats interesting, did she say where the town wall fishermen were located ?

I know a relative of mine used to live and fish from a boat down on Clancy strand and my father and aunt used to talk about spending time down there around the boats and shacks . But this would have been later on around the 1920's 30's . Coincidentally that relative would also have relatives now in Co. Louth .

jonski wrote: »
    Thats interesting, did she say where the town wall fishermen were located ?

I know a relative of mine used to live and fish from a boat down on Clancy strand and my father and aunt used to talk about spending time down there around the boats and shacks . But this would have been later on around the 1920's 30's . Coincidentally that relative would also have relatives now in Co. Louth .

Hi Jonski, here is what she said,
    "The Abbey Fishermen fished upriver from the Lax Weir upriver, while the Strand Fishermen fished downriver to the Estuary, and the Town Wall Fishermen worked from the Lax Weit and downriver, along with the Strand men."

If you send me a private message with your surname and vice versa who knows if we share the same surname? My immediate grandfather was born 1919 and moved up to Louth in 1938/9- ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

did you have any luck finding more information on your visit ?

Can only hope the OP found the treasure his grandfather buried beneath the floor of the old pub. Treasure that was clearly found by the Town Wall Fishermen, probably a Viking hoard of some sort, lost into the river after some fierce fighting, or maybe a cache hidden by the lax weir by fleeing Jacobites....

did you have any luck finding more information on your visit ?

Yes, I found loads of information everywhere. It was an amazing visit and a really wonderful city. Hotel wasn't the best but was in a great location so can't complain.

I think it's really great to be able to walk the streets my ancestors walked and lived or breathe the shannon air they once breathed. It was my first ever time in Limerick as you can tell from the overly enthusiastic post. :D:p

Can only hope the OP found the treasure his grandfather buried beneath the floor of the old pub. Treasure that was clearly found by the Town Wall Fishermen, probably a Viking hoard of some sort, lost into the river after some fierce fighting, or maybe a cache hidden by the lax weir by fleeing Jacobites....

Ah, I would be so lucky. hahahaha.

We visited the Lax weir on the mill. It was very relaxing place to sit for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We visited the Lax weir on the mill. It was very relaxing place to sit for a while.

Well, Pat Lysaght who was mentioned earlier in the thread lives right there, definitely a guy you should talk to, he's often hanging around at the end of the Mill Rd, I don't know him too well but I do know one of his daughters, could easily put you in touch, there is also one or two older guys down there, they'd all be friendly with eachother who I'd say at a guess would only be too happy to talk the hind legs off you.

Well, Pat Lysaght who was mentioned earlier in the thread lives right there, definitely a guy you should talk to, he's often hanging around at the end of the Mill Rd, I don't know him too well but I do know one of his daughters, could easily put you in touch, there is also one or two older guys down there, they'd all be friendly with eachother who I'd say at a guess would only be too happy to talk the hind legs off you.

Sounds great. I would love to speak with Pat. I found what I thought to be his profile on Facebook and sent him a message. He hasn't read it so I guess he doesn't use social media all that often.

If you want to give me anyones details privately such as his daughter who is a friend that would be great. :-)

• Advertisement

Sounds great. I would love to speak with Pat. I found what I thought to be his profile on Facebook and sent him a message. He hasn't read it so I guess he doesn't use social media all that often.

If you want to give me anyones details privately such as his daughter who is a friend that would be great. :-)

Leave it with me for the weekend & I'll pm you

Leave it with me for the weekend & I'll pm you

Great, really appreciate it. Would love to take my dad back down for a chat with the lads and a possible trip on the river. The family fishing in the shannon for first time since 1938 :p:D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Hotel wasn't the best but was in a great location so can't complain.

Try the Absolute hotel the next time. It's on the Sandmall where most of the Abbey fishermen lived. I think the pub you're looking for is Portley's as that is the oldest pub on Lock quay.

Great, really appreciate it. Would love to take my dad back down for a chat with the lads and a possible trip on the river. The family fishing in the shannon for first time since 1938 :p:D:pac:

Pm sent

Advertisement