Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4iiii power meter questions

Options
  • 21-09-2020 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭

Looking at their website, I see I can get a dual sided PM fitted on my crankset for less than most single sided PMs.
    Has anyone dealt with them? Are they a good PM, and if I got dual sided, can I use the left crank as a single sided on a different bike or will it only work in tandem with the drive side ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I can't really answer the questions, but I'm pretty sure DC Rainmaker and GPllama have said there's an issue with all dual sided shimano based power meters. Something to do with how the drive train side is built. Probably worth looking into anyway.

fwiw I'm happy with my ultegra and 105 4iiii. Match my Hammer power wise within margin of errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've never had any issues with my single sided pm on 105. That said, it's only there down to GAS and I don't use it in anger and can't really comment on its accuracy, but I do use it to pace myself going up long drags etc, and I'd say it's consistent anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I can't really answer the questions, but I'm pretty sure DC Rainmaker and GPllama have said there's an issue with all dual sided shimano based power meters. Something to do with how the drive train side is built. Probably worth looking into anyway.

fwiw I'm happy with my ultegra and 105 4iiii. Match my Hammer power wise within margin of errors.
    I thought the problem was with the newest 9100, 8000 etc series and the 9000/6800 was fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I thought the problem was with the newest 9100, 8000 etc series and the 9000/6800 was fine?
    Don't know - I was only half paying attention as wasn't in the market then or since tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

I have a double sided r7000 crank and it appears to be consistent and works fine. Never heard of any issues with them, what are the issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have a double sided Giant powermeter on the winter bike which according to GPLlama is the most accurate of them.

But yeah, they are all naff on the right side due to - well the laws of physics I suppose - so yeah, to be accurate most of them do a bit of algorithmic smoothing. You'd be as well off with a single sided one accuracy wise.

If you have a need for true dual sided analysis you could always get yourself some pedal power meters. Or you could just do yourself a favour and get either a power2max or a quarq and have accurate power, reliability and not too bad cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Power meter readings are really only relevant when you switch to another type. If your meter is over or under reading then once it's consistent you'll be fine.

I recently switched from a 6800 Stages to Assioma duo pedals with a huge drop in ftp value. The single side was givng 419 & duo 383 for the same testing protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

dahat wrote: »
    Power meter readings are really only relevant when you switch to another type. If your meter is over or under reading then once it's consistent you'll be fine.

I recently switched from a 6800 Stages to Assioma duo pedals with a huge drop in ftp value. The single side was givng 419 & duo 383 for the same testing protocol.

There's no danger my FTP will be 383, or if it is I know the PM is wonky!!!
    I have a FSA powerbox (rebadged Power2max) on my current bike but I'm looking at getting a frame and building up something else and I'd like a PM on that but one that's a little easier to change around if necessary.
    Going back to the original question, anyone know if the left crank will work separately if I bought the dual sided version?

Big numbers! You're not far off world tour TT ftp!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Going back to the original question, anyone know if the left crank will work separately if I bought the dual sided version?

They're using the 4iiii app - if memory serves you can pair a drive side meter to an already installed left leg meter, so I can't see you wouldn't be able to split them again.

[Edit]
    Just tried to check in the app on the phone, but they want me to create a new account for some reason so can't verify (haven't used it since installation as calibration etc. can be done via the Garmin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭dahat

comete wrote: »
    Big numbers! You're not far off world tour TT ftp!

Huge numbers on the saddle as well.

Huge numbers on the saddle as well.

Ha ha I know the feeling, we should try fitting strain gauges to our saddles. Until they exist the creaking of me sitting down on it is sign enough!

Advertisement