If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32" TV with DVD player

Options
  • 21-09-2020 12:03pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get a 32" TV with pause and rewind ability, saorview, and a built in DVD player. Ideally with a scart connection (it's for an older lady who has an old freeview box, I think, for the bbc channels, and i'd rather not complicate things too much by upgrading that too. If scart isn't an option, i'd probably need a scart to hdmi adapter

Is the toshiba 32wd3a63 my only real option? Will it have saorview and the ability to pause?
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204214-toshiba-32wd3a63-32-inch-smart-led-tv-hd-ready-freeview-play-dvd-player.aspx

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Looking to get a 32" TV with pause and rewind ability, saorview, and a built in DVD player. Ideally with a scart connection (it's for an older lady who has an old freeview box, I think, for the bbc channels, and i'd rather not complicate things too much by upgrading that too. If scart isn't an option, i'd probably need a scart to hdmi adapter

Is the toshiba 32wd3a63 my only real option? Will it have saorview and the ability to pause?
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204214-toshiba-32wd3a63-32-inch-smart-led-tv-hd-ready-freeview-play-dvd-player.aspx
    Hi Black_Knight,

The Toshiba is really the only 32" we would have with a DVD player built in unfortunately! They will have Saorview but you would not be able to pause live TV. It also doesn't have a scart socket, unfortunately the Scart connection has been phased out of pretty much all of the modern sets.

We have stock of the Toshiba in stock in our warehouse though and ready to ship!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hi Black_Knight,

The Toshiba is really the only 32" we would have with a DVD player built in unfortunately! They will have Saorview but you would not be able to pause live TV. It also doesn't have a scart socket, unfortunately the Scart connection has been phased out of pretty much all of the modern sets.

We have stock of the Toshiba in stock in our warehouse though and ready to ship!

Kind regards

David
    The description mentions:

[font=Montserrat, sans-serif]Twin USB inputs, including USB record[/font]
    [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]With twin USB sockets, you can connect a couple of media devices. Featuring a handy two-way USB, the 32WD3A63DB is also ideal for connecting a suitable HDD (Hard Disk Drive) device and recording live TV.[/font]

Hi Black_Knight,

Kind regards

David
    The description mentions:

[font=Montserrat, sans-serif]Twin USB inputs, including USB record[/font]
    [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]With twin USB sockets, you can connect a couple of media devices. Featuring a handy two-way USB, the 32WD3A63DB is also ideal for connecting a suitable HDD (Hard Disk Drive) device and recording live TV.[/font]
    Hi Black_Knight,

The Toshiba does have a USB recording facitlity which will allow you to record onto an external Hard drive via the settings however it isn't possible to pause and rewind live TV.

Kind regards

David

Good to know. Any similarly sized TVs which do allow pausing of live TV?

Built in DVD is optional

Built in DVD is optional
    Hi Black_Knight,

There are no TVs with this ability unfortunately, you would need to add a separate Saorview PVR box for that!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Built in DVD is optional
    Hi Black_Knight,

There are no TVs with this ability unfortunately, you would need to add a separate Saorview PVR box for that!

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David. Food for thought so.

The Toshiba is probably still a decent TV for her given it has the built in DVD player. Would you be able to recommend a Saorview PVR box? Nothing fancy, the simpler the better, and there's no internet at her house so on-demand etc is needed.

EDIT: I believe she also has a dish on her roof for bbc channels etc. If there's a PVR box with dual tuners for saorview and the UK channels that'd be great!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Black Knight,

thanks for the posts and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

We do stock Freeview Boxes but we don't recommend them for Saorview as there may be small EPG differences and whilst they will work, they are not Saorview authorised.. Like wise we do not do a combi Saorview / Freesat STB unfortunately.

..however, saying that I do think that a separate STB PVR is the way forward for you as if the lady is not technically adept working an 'onboard' TV PVR will almost certainly be a challenge for her..

Keep us posted..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John.

The lady is 90, so I'm not sure how high up EPG is in her list. :D

If you could link me to any of the boxes ye provide which can record I'll take a look.

Most likely will get the Toshiba TV anyways.

Thanks John.

If you could link me to any of the boxes ye provide which can record I'll take a look.

Hi Black_Knight,

If it's the terrestrial free to air channels you are looking for I would recommend one of the Humax boxes like the FVP5000 ITb at £199:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203049-humax-fvp5000t-1gb-freeview-play-recorder-1tb-hard-drive-pvr.aspx

Kind regards

David

Thanks John.

Hi Black_Knight,

If it's the terrestrial free to air channels you are looking for I would recommend one of the Humax boxes like the FVP5000 ITb at £199:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203049-humax-fvp5000t-1gb-freeview-play-recorder-1tb-hard-drive-pvr.aspx

Kind regards

David
    Is the FVP5000 1Tb necessary? I see other cheaper boxes which say they'll do pause/record live TV. That's about the limit of what she'll use. There'll be no series linking or anything like that.
    Is the HUMAX DTRT2000T 500GB box sufficient? I don't mind paying for what's right, but I don't want to be paying for additional features that'll never be used.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-200684-humax-dtrt2000t-500gb-youview-box-500gb-hard-drive-pvr.aspx

Thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks John.

Hi Black_Knight,

Kind regards

David
    Is the FVP5000 1Tb necessary? I see other cheaper boxes which say they'll do pause/record live TV. That's about the limit of what she'll use. There'll be no series linking or anything like that.
    Is the HUMAX DTRT2000T 500GB box sufficient? I don't mind paying for what's right, but I don't want to be paying for additional features that'll never be used.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-200684-humax-dtrt2000t-500gb-youview-box-500gb-hard-drive-pvr.aspx

Thanks
    Hi Black_Knight,

The DTRT2000 is a Youview box so it is internet based TV.

The Humas FVP will work off your terrestrial aerial and would be more user friendly!

Kind regards

David

Thanks all. Just popped in an order now. Fingers crossed it'll all work as wanted

Thanks all. Just popped in an order now. Fingers crossed it'll all work as wanted
    Thanks for the order Black_Knight!

Let me know if you have any issues!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

Hi Black_Knight,

The Humas FVP will work off your terrestrial aerial and would be more user friendly!

Kind regards

David

Read the thread with interest. Looking to make a 32" Samsung TV smart. Main requirement - Netflix (have an account) & Youtube and to a lesser extent Saorview. Would the Humas FVP500t work? 

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

Hi Black_Knight,

Kind regards

David

Read the thread with interest. Looking to make a 32" Samsung TV smart. Main requirement - Netflix (have an account) & Youtube and to a lesser extent Saorview. Would the Humas FVP500t work? 
    Hi Granite Head,

The FVP5000T could match with that TV and you would get the Free to air terrestrial channels on it!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.