Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing drops to straight handlebar

Options
  • 21-09-2020 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

As above, looking to change over a Giant Avail Liv. Has anyone done this? Where would the best place online to source all the parts. I'd like to use decent shifters /brake levers etc. Any pitfalls to look out for? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

It's not at all straightforward unfortunately for a fair few reasons. Firstly you'll need to change the stem as drops and straight bars have differing diameters, though this is the least of it. The geometry of the bike will be set up to facilitate steering a fair distance in front of the axis of the steering tube. Straight bars are usually much closer so handling will change completely. Depending on what groupset is on the bike already changing the shifters to MTB/hybrid shifters will most probably need a change of rear derailleur at the very least. While I think SRAM shifters are interchangeable, I'm there's a fair chance you've got Shimano who have a different "pull ratio" (i.e. the amount the cable is pulled for every click on the shifter) between MTB and road shifters. Thus, you might get a few gears at one end or other of your range, but wouldn't get across the entire cassette. Front gears I think would be ok, but not 100% sure about that.

At this point you'll have spent the guts of the price of a decent hybrid in parts and ended up with something that may be an absolute pig to ride. Assuming it'sIf you've really decided drops aren't for you (maybe give them a bit more time?), IMHO you'd be better off selling the bike (they're nice looking bikes) if it's in good condition and putting the proceeds to a decent hybrid.

I think there've been a few attempts to do similar in here over the years, so have a search through the forum. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Easier to sell the current bike and buy a straight bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

To summarise, you'll need:

Stem.
    Bars.
    Grips.
    Brake levers.
    Gear shifters.
    Outer and inner cables.
    Rear mech, probably.

There's also a chance, that there will be a different feel to the brakes, when you swop.
    It's probably not feasible, financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

JMcL wrote: »
    Depending on what groupset is on the bike already changing the shifters to MTB/hybrid shifters will most probably need a change of rear derailleur at the very least.

Nah, you can get flat bar shifters for road bikes without needing to get MTB/hybrid type. I've put Tiagra and 105 onto flat bar road bikes before.

You don't have to move the bars closer than drops, but you can raise them a bit to make it more comfortable.

You can get a perfectly decent hybrid with hydraulic discs these days for 500-600 and I'd say the sale of the current bike would go a long way towards that if not entirely cover it depending on the age and specific model.

Sticking with Liv as an example https://www.liv-cycling.com/ie/alight-2-disc-2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Easier to sell the current bike and buy a straight bar.

That was the intention, I have it for sale on adverts but no decent offers as yet.

Effects wrote: »
    Nah, you can get flat bar shifters for road bikes without needing to get MTB/hybrid type. I've put Tiagra and 105 onto flat bar road bikes before.

You don't have to move the bars closer than drops, but you can raise them a bit to make it more comfortable.

I've been talking to my lbs, who said they do it all the time and will cost less than €200. But they will need to have it for a few weeks because they are out the door with work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

buy a new bike as the frame will not sit right

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    buy a new bike as the frame will not sit right

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Did it to my carbon scott last month.
    Cost 150 euro. Its a nice commuter and really fast!
    I read all the scare stories none of them happened. I bought a flat bar off decathlon for 20 euros and got 2x10 tiagras for 130.
    Shes a beast

• Advertisement

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Did it to my carbon scott last month.
    Cost 150 euro. Its a nice commuter and really fast!
    I read all the scare stories none of them happened. I bought a flat bar off decathlon for 20 euros and got 2x10 tiagras for 130.
    Shes a beast
    Brilliant, well done, can I ask where you bought the shifters and brake levers and did the cables need changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

nophd08 wrote: »
    Brilliant, well done, can I ask where you bought the shifters and brake levers and did the cables need changed.

Got the mtb flat bar from cyclesuperstore. Went for the bigger riser to account for the racer frame.
    Shifters off chain reaction and yes youll need a cable kit.

Id fit the bar yourself and drop it into the lbs to get the gears done. Any old brakes, i went stubby ones of chain reaction.

Youll do it all for under 200.
    Just get the right diameter bar

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Easiest conversion in the world.

Have done it several times for people who realised that drops were not for them and didn't want to fork out for a new bike.

Most good old school bike shops will have plenty of old stems/straight handlebars if needed(ask nicely and you'll get them for buttons); simplest thing is just to flip your stem, so it rises in angle instead of drop.

Just buy a pair of combined brakes/trigger shifters that have the same number of indexes as you have sprockets on the back wheel, and a nice comfy set of flatbar grips. Shifters should come with new cables if you buy the likes of shimano. Sunrace do cheaper versions, if you want to keep costs down.

Advertisement