If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming tv 50"

Options
  • 21-09-2020 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Not  bought a tv in over 10 years so looking for some advice. Current Samsung has been fantastic but thinking of upgrading with one eye on PS5 release. Hdmi 2.1 tvs look out of budget (and probably unnecessary at this point), what would you recommend nearer budget of approx 500 or maybe little higher (is this realistic?), size approx 50". Ideally have at least 3 hdmi inputs

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Not  bought a tv in over 10 years so looking for some advice. Current Samsung has been fantastic but thinking of upgrading with one eye on PS5 release. Hdmi 2.1 tvs look out of budget (and probably unnecessary at this point), what would you recommend nearer budget of approx 500 or maybe little higher (is this realistic?), size approx 50". Ideally have at least 3 hdmi inputs
    Hi JimBurnley,

You can get a decent 50" 4K TV around the 500 euro budget!

If you can go a little bit more I would recommend the Samsung UE50YU8500 which is a fantastic 4K panel and has a great smart hub! It also has 3 x HDMI posts that will carry HDCP2.3 and eARC!

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204596-samsung-ue50tu8500-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-with-apple-tv-app-freesat-hd.aspx

It's currently 639 euro but a great TV for the money!

Let me know what you think of this option!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Hi JimBurnley,

If you can go a little bit more I would recommend the Samsung UE50YU8500 which is a fantastic 4K panel and has a great smart hub! It also has 3 x HDMI posts that will carry HDCP2.3 and eARC!

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204596-samsung-ue50tu8500-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-with-apple-tv-app-freesat-hd.aspx

Kind regards

David

Thanks David. Could you give me some more information please on what exactly HDCP2.3 and eARC give me? Cheers

Hi JimBurnley,

Kind regards

David

Thanks David. Could you give me some more information please on what exactly HDCP2.3 and eARC give me? Cheers
    Hi JimBurnley,

HDCP is rally just in relation to Content Protection and gives a stronger handshake via HDMI between your components. eARC is an HDMI 2.1 feature that will allow you to run Atmos sound through the ARC channel to your soundbar!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Hi JimBurnley,

HDCP is rally just in relation to Content Protection and gives a stronger handshake via HDMI between your components. eARC is an HDMI 2.1 feature that will allow you to run Atmos sound through the ARC channel to your soundbar!

Kind regards

David

Thanks again David, plenty of food for thought. Need to sort out budget/funds etc, be in touch again down the line. Cheers!

Hi JimBurnley,

Kind regards

David

Thanks again David, plenty of food for thought. Need to sort out budget/funds etc, be in touch again down the line. Cheers!
    Hi JimBurnley,

That's no problem at all, keep me posted!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi JimBurnley,

Kind regards

David

Thanks David.

Looks good. My one concern to future proof as much as possible with ps5 is frame rates. What would be your most reasonable model to go upto 100fps? I understand the Samsung one discussed above is only 50, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers, JB

Hi JimBurnley,

Kind regards

David

Thanks David.

Looks good. My one concern to future proof as much as possible with ps5 is frame rates. What would be your most reasonable model to go upto 100fps? I understand the Samsung one discussed above is only 50, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,  JB
    Hi JB,

The Samsung UE50TU8500 is a native 50Hz panel. If you're looking for a 100Hz panel in the same size I would recommend LG 49NANO866 at £699. It would have a native 100Hz panel and also supports Dolby Vision:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204685-lg-49nano866na-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-nanocell-led-tv-freeview-hd-freesat-hd.aspx?swapstore=1

Kind regards

David

Hi JB,

The Samsung UE50TU8500 is a native 50Hz panel. If you're looking for a 100Hz panel in the same size I would recommend LG 49NANO866 at £699. It would have a native 100Hz panel and also supports Dolby Vision:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204685-lg-49nano866na-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-nanocell-led-tv-freeview-hd-freesat-hd.aspx?swapstore=1

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

95% sure I'm gonna go with the Samsung UE50TU8500. A bit more research convinced me 100hz and hdmi 2.1 is more a luxury than necessity for ps5 (especially since I'm going from old school HD to 4K which is already big step up), so prefer to save some pennies and go with Samsung who I'm familiar with, and your original recommendation and other reviews for this set are all excellent.

Did I read correctly that this is out of stock at the moment though? Any ETA on it coming back in? Also, do I have to pay in euros (delivery to Dublin) or can I chose the sterling price if it's better value?

Cheers, JB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

i noticed my old Samsung tv has better picture
    than new Samsung tv but i don't use them for gaming also the old samung lasts 20 years
    the new ones last 2 as they use cheaper electronic parts

Hi JB,

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

95% sure I'm gonna go with the Samsung UE50TU8500. A bit more research convinced me 100hz and hdmi 2.1 is more a luxury than necessity for ps5 (especially since I'm going from old school HD to 4K which is already big step up), so prefer to save some pennies and go with Samsung who I'm familiar with, and your original recommendation and other reviews for this set are all excellent.

Did I read correctly that this is out of stock at the moment though? Any ETA on it coming back in? Also, do I have to pay in euros (delivery to Dublin) or can I chose the sterling price if it's better value?

Cheers, JB
    Thanks for getting back to me JimBurnley and apologies for the delay replying!

The Samsung 8500 is still a native 50Hz panel, it will have a processor that will increase the motion processing rate but for a 100Hz native panel you'd be looking at the LG as a staring point.

The 8500 is currently out of stock but we are hoping to get more in in the next week or two! You can pay in either sterling or euro, whichever currency works out best for you!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

The Samsung 8500 is still a native 50Hz panel, it will have a processor that will increase the motion processing rate but for a 100Hz native panel you'd be looking at the LG as a staring point.

The 8500 is currently out of stock but we are hoping to get more in in the next week or two! You can pay in either sterling or euro, whichever currency works out best for you!

Kind regards

David

Thanks David, can you put my name down for one when you get the stock back in please? PM me if you need further details from me to make the reservation. Cheers!

Kind regards

David

Thanks David, can you put my name down for one when you get the stock back in please? PM me if you need further details from me to make the reservation.  Cheers!
    Hi JimBurnley,

If you PM me back with your contact number and address I can put an order up for you!

Kind regards

David

Hi JimBurnley,

If you PM me back with your contact number and address I can put an order up for you!

Kind regards

David

So whilst waiting on stock of the 8500, been checking out my options if I was able to pump the budget up.

Two models caught my eye are lg cx and samsung q80t (both 55 inch versions). Which would you recommend and why? Am I missing any others with similar capabilities?

Thanks, JB

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi JimBurnley,

thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

Both the QLED Q80T and the LG CX series are really superb TVs

For gaming if you are potentially going to have static image on screen for a long time I would trend towards the QLED as there is a potential for Screen burn with the OLED CX series - however if you do follow the manufacturers guidelines this is not a significant issue - and the OLED CX is a better TV for general TV viewing - however the Q80T is no slouch and again I would trend towards QLED if your main usage is gaming - by chance I spotted this review recently which may be helpful for you as it features exactly the TV's you have targeted:
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

You may also look at the Sony 90 and 95 series - they are excellent as well and also feature in this article,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi JimBurnley,

For gaming if you are potentially going to have static image on screen for a long time I would trend towards the QLED as there is a potential for Screen burn with the OLED CX series - however if you do follow the manufacturers guidelines this is not a significant issue - and the OLED CX is a better TV for general TV viewing - however the Q80T is no slouch and again I would trend towards QLED if your main usage is gaming - by chance I spotted this review recently which may be helpful for you as it features exactly the TV's you have targeted:

You may also look at the Sony 90 and 95 series - they are excellent as well and also feature in this article,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks v much John. I'm planning on making the purchase for the samsung q80 in the morning. Looks to be handiest to do this online. Can I just check, is there any difference between delivery costs (if any)and delivery times if I pay in sterling? Delivery will be to Dublin, what's the current ETA?

Cheers,
    JB

Hi JimBurnley,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks v much John. I'm planning on making the purchase for the samsung q80 in the morning. Looks to be handiest to do this online. Can I just check, is there any difference between delivery costs (if any)and delivery times if I pay in sterling? Delivery will be to Dublin, what's the current ETA?

Cheers,
    JB
    Hi JimBurnley.

If paying in sterling there is a £6.99 delivery charge.

Delivery to Dublin is usually 1-2 days excluding weekends.

Any issue please let me know.

Kenny.

Hi JimBurnley.

Kenny.

Thanks Kenny. Order placed, looking forward to receiving it next week!
    Cheers, JB

Hi JimBurnley.

Kenny.

Thanks Kenny. Order placed, looking forward to receiving it next week!
    Cheers, JB
    Cheers for the order JB :)

Our courier will be in touch with your tracking details once it has been dispatched.

Have a good weekend and again thanks for the business.

Kenny.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.