Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM Upgrade issue

Options
  • 21-09-2020 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Bit stumped here.

I've a HP Omen 880-00NA.

16GB of DDR4 RAM, trying to upgrade to 32GB.

I've got 4x8 (motherboard won't support 2x16gb) of compatible RAM and keep coming across this issue.

I swap out the old RAM and put the new RAM in, PC won't start up, it'll boot for about 2-3 seconds then go into a cycle of powering up then powering down.

I take half of the new RAM out, so there's 16gb in - PC starts.

Can anyone give me a digout here as to what I'm doing wrong? It's almost as if the 2 DIMM slots are "switched off" which can't be the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Have you tried turning XMP off in BIOS/resetting CMOS to see if it'll acknowledge 32Gb @ DDR4-2133?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I honestly cannot find XMP anywhere in the BIOS. I'm not sure if it's even available.

I can try to see if it'll acknowledge the 32gb. If I had at least the standard beep errors then I'd know more but unfortunately don't.

I'll reset the CMOS and get back to you, many thanks.

Sorry just to add on - when I "downgrade" to 8gb of RAM (was just curious as part of troubleshooting), the exact same process happens as if there's 32gb in, regardless of what slot it may be in.

3 long beeps and 2 short beeps no matter what ram is in what DIMM slot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Does the issue happen with the original RAM?

• Advertisement

Yeah, doesn't accept any RAM whatsoever now. Head melted!

Does the bios have a reset/load optimum settings option. If not then try and clear the CMOS bt removing the battery for a few minutes

I can't even get to the BIOS, that's the problem! I'll try clear the CMOS again, I tried that earlier and whilst it cleared the initial issue of having the constant startup attempts, it brought me to the 3 long and 2 short beeps error!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
    Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
    Supports PC4-19200 (DRR4-2400)
    Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
    Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note: 32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
    Supports up to 32 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers
    note: Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

Hi folks,

Bit stumped here.

I've a HP Omen 880-00NA.

16GB of DDR4 RAM, trying to upgrade to 32GB.

I've got 4x8 (motherboard won't support 2x16gb) of compatible RAM and keep coming across this issue.

I swap out the old RAM and put the new RAM in, PC won't start up, it'll boot for about 2-3 seconds then go into a cycle of powering up then powering down.

I take half of the new RAM out, so there's 16gb in - PC starts.

Can anyone give me a digout here as to what I'm doing wrong? It's almost as if the 2 DIMM slots are "switched off" which can't be the case.
    supports 8gb per slot not 16gb

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    supports 8gb per slot not 16gb

thats what he has.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    thats what he has.

he said it will not support 2 x16gb ram
    so he bought 16gb when he should buy 8gb sticks also he has to make sure windows is 64bit

he said it will not support 2 x16gb ram
    so he bought 16gb when he should buy 8gb sticks also he has to make sure windows is 64bit

I'm not being rude, but you haven't really read what I've said at all.

I outlined that the system doesn't support 16gb sticks, I also outlined I had 32gb (4x8gb) in my original post.

I'm not being rude, but you haven't really read what I've said at all.

I outlined that the system doesn't support 16gb sticks, I also outlined I had 32gb (4x8gb) in my original post.
    did you read in my other post what type of memory it takes i got the list from hp

you should try one stick of memory at a time making sure they are all exactly the same
    start with old one then replace it with newer one until you find the bad stick you also need to see the motherboard the memory should be on approved list

did you read in my other post what type of memory it takes i got the list from hp

you should try one stick of memory at a time making sure they are all exactly the same
    start with old one then replace it with newer one until you find the bad stick you also need to see the motherboard the memory should be on approved list

Yes, I'm well aware what type of memory it takes, I've already said this. I clarified that I was using 8gb sticks that were compatible, I never bought 16gb sticks, I had mentioned it doesn't support 16gb in case someone suggested to try 2x16s rather than 4x8.

Trying each stick in each slot also does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if you can get back into the BIOS it might be worth doing an update as this can normally rectify the problem

Advertisement