Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I mean, a year sounds about right for the big Horizon expansion pack :P

But yeah don't think there was any prospect of Zelda actually making a 2022 release. Everything about it so far looks bloody fantastic though so they can take as long as they want - and will make the 'GOTY' awards easier to win in a year that doesn't have Elden Ring!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I might be finished elden Ring by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Will give me chance to play the first BOTW beforehand.

Also, Kirby > Elden Ring....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby sucks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone who watched the recent People Make Games video will know Funomena’s Robin Hunicke was singled out prominently in it. Now it seems the studio’s set to close entirely.

Not the most surprising news given the studio seems to have been fairly quiet since Wattam was released a few years ago. But always awful when people lose their jobs so suddenly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hopefully they find work quickly, with bosses far less toxic!

Looks pretty good. I can only assume that some folk bemoaning Game Pass will be on here calling it "unsustainable"?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's mostly just a re-jig of their existing subscription models, combining them under one name with different tiers, and adding in more older games.

Oh, are Returnal and the Spiderman games already on PS Now?

Not currently, but they're coming when the new tiers launch.

The new Extra and Premium tiers represent a major evolution for PlayStation Plus. With these tiers, our key focus is to ensure that the hundreds of games we offer will include the best quality content that sets us apart. At launch, we plan to include titles such as Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal. We’re working closely with our imaginative developers from PlayStation Studios and third-party partners to include some of the best gaming experiences available with a library that will be regularly refreshed. More details to come on the games we’ll have on our new PlayStation Plus service.

So they probably would have been coming to PS Now regardless of this rejig, as they've been out for a while at this stage (I think MK11 and GoW were already on PS Now for a limited time, but seems like they're being made permanent on it soon). They're adding a bunch of older games (PS1-PS3) too, but no confirmation on what games.

• Advertisement

I guess it remains to be seen what games will be provided. But I'm glad for PS users that they are getting an enhanced offering. I think Game Pass is great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I think they're shooting themselves in the foot a little bit tbh. No harm in doing a combined subscription and expanding it but they've also removed the ability to subscribe to Now on it's own. You can still subscribe to Game Pass for PC/Console seperately(€10 per month) to the Ultimate tier, though with the Gold conversion it works out cheaper to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I'm actually not surprised or disappointed by this at all. I'm sure it'll be good when it does finally release. I really hope they use this development time to create in-game weapons that don't break after 10 swings.....

Or at least have a single blacksmith in Hyrule.

I find the breaking weapons mechanic like the timed mission mechanic in X-Com 2. People moan about them because they are (and undeniably) intimidating but when you accept them and work with them in the game I find they add an awful lot to the game and make it better. And when you do you realise they really aren't that much of a burden to the player as, in the case of BotW, you are given more weapons than you could ever manage to go through in the game.

So give me breakable weapons so I can come up with innovative combat strategies on the fly, where I'm not concerned about hoarding weapons and can have fun experimenting with all types.

I think having a blacksmith would have been a good compromise. You could make it so you need to collect materials to fix your weapon and have it cost money as well, to add an extra dimension to it. The more advanced weapons would require more rare materials.

The game already has you mining for materials, and it has a weapon breaking mechanic. It has all of the pieces in place.

Other games have had weapon breaking mechanics but also gave you the ability to fix them. It worked just fine in other games.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Considering that Link fecker goes around people's houses, smashing their places to shíte in the hope of getting a few coins, he seems like a guy that doesn't do consequences or forward planning.

He's the gaming equivalent of a Westie going down to the midlands at the weekend to rob some bungalows - they don't care if they break their crowbars getting into a house - they just rob another one.

*resets sign*

"It has been 0 days since the last BotW debate in the general gaming discussion/news threads"

It sounds like a great idea until you consider that that's the kind of unneeded complexity and busy work that Nintendo avoid. You just have to ask yourself do you really need to hold on to your best weapons when you are more often than not leaving weapons behind because you've no room for them?

I also find using the last of the weapons durability to fling it at an enemy for a massive damage boost very satisfying.

A new version of The Stanley Parable is coming to PC and consoles. The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe will have new additional content.

• Advertisement

It's a massive turn off for some, rather than it being a objectively great mechanic that some people don't "get".

That's the part botw fans have difficulty with, I think. Some people just don't like the mechanic despite "getting" what it's doing, and aren't wrong to think that.

Maybe. I think it could just be a certain amount of anxiety around it. It's intimidating. Stuff like time limits, turn limits, finite use items. Like the limited time you have in a persona game or time limits in XCOM. They're intimidating to some people but when you actually get down to playing it they're actually well balanced and arent a big concern.

Maybe I'm wrong but it think a lot of people are just have anxiety around those types of mechanics and as a result won't engage in them. Which is perfectly fine as well.

That's my theory.

Well, I hope the sequel has the appropriate level of weapon breaking for the fans.

I'm curious to see if they'll change it, they've never been one to rest on their laurels, especially with Zelda games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Game Pass family plan on the way. Still waiting on details but it will allow for a family of 5.

Can we expect threads similar to Spotify, netflix and disney+ in the main bargains thread. If it extends to PC Game Pass I could be interested.

It's interesting that the ESA think it'll be back in 2023, both digitally and in-person. I mean, it was already on life support pre-Covid. What can they possibly do to get publishers and journalists back onside for next year?

Anyway, it didn't take Geoff long to remind us about SGF.

In other news, Undead Labs seems to be a mess;

No E3 this year. End of an era. There was always talk about the future of the show being on shaky ground but I guess covid finally killed it. Pity as I will miss the excitement around May for it but it was getting less and less relevant. I think the way forward is Nintendo like Directs which Sony has also adopted.

Talk of Geoff Keighley filling the void sounds horrendous.

The worst thing about E3 being cancelled is Geoff Keighley will be insufferable now (more so).

I too always looked forward to it. Each company doing their own thing is great and all, but there was something about them doing their shows in the space of a week that always made it "an event" rather than just a bunch of news. I'm sure Keighley's Summerfest thing will have some good reveals but if all the big companies are going to do their own shows spread out over a few weeks, it's just not the same.

E3 are saying they'll be back in a new form in 2023, but I don't see it happening or being anything of the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Geoff Keighley is an insufferable gowl already!

This is just what his ego needs 😣

I pray for E3's safe return next year 😁

Advertisement