Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hopefully it means the team can ditch avengers and make deus ex games again...
    *Readiness to augment pre-order intensifies*

• Registered Users Posts: 29,752 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Been wanting a Trilogy Remaster for a long time, can't ****ing wait.

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/1325105787174182912?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to admit, never played a Mass Effect game before, so might give it a whirl.

Penn wrote: »
    Have to admit, never played a Mass Effect game before, so might give it a whirl.

You lucky lucky bastard, the trilogy is absolutely epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Second one is my personal favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Penn wrote: »

Avoid, hugley over rated games. 2nd one is the best or a poor bunch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Second one’s really good, as it has the smartest, most focused story and a real sense of building a team for a big, dangerous mission - almost like an extravagant heist movie. Could almost be played standalone if you read a quick synopsis of the first.

First one is a mediocre RPG mixed with a bad shooter, and the third was an underwhelming, under-baked disappointment compared to the second.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I enjoyed 3. The story was a total damp squib but it was a fun game to playthrough. Never thought much of the story in these games so wasn't as invested as some people but it's not the complete **** show some make it out to be. Other than the bad ending it's well made and fun.

But to be honest outside of the second game there's far, far better rpgs to play than mass effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The third game is still worth playing. It's not the amazing climax we hoped for but there is still a lot of good in there. For long time fans, the Citadel DLC in the third game is excellent.

It nearly saves it from the ending. Nearly.....

Poor old Maurader shields. He tried to save us.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Been wanting a Trilogy Remaster for a long time, can't ****ing wait.

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/1325105787174182912?s=19

If they can bring all three up to date with modern controls and mechanics it will be amazing. If it's just a slap of HD on an already wobbly frame then I'll still play it all but will be underwhelmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I enjoyed 3. The story was a total damp squib but it was a fun game to playthrough. Never thought much of the story in these games so wasn't as invested as some people but it's not the complete **** show some make it out to be. Other than the bad ending it's well made and fun.

But to be honest outside of the second game there's far, far better rpgs to play than mass effect.

Yea ME3 is a weird one, it has been absolutely crucified for 8 years now despite people really only having a problem with the end of it. Now that is very understandable considering the unprecedented build-up, but somewhere along the line the narrative turned from 'ME3 has a bad ending' to 'ME3 is a bad game'.

The 30 or so hours before that bit were fantastic, the entire Tuchanka section is rivalled with the suicide mission for highlight of the series.
    If they can bring all three up to date with modern controls and mechanics it will be amazing. If it's just a slap of HD on an already wobbly frame then I'll still play it all but will be underwhelmed.

2 and 3 controlled reasonably well IMO, ME1 was a total ****show though. They will piss a lot of people off if the bring it closer to the sequels but I really don't know how they fix that. Maybe if the combat runs at a framerate higher than a powerpoint presentation it might help.

Yupp ME 3 is epic and like one big ending for the series with so many great stories tied up. I never played the Omega, Leviathan or Citadel DLC so mostly looking forward to those but yeah, the 3 ending debacle really threw a shadow over the whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Yupp ME 3 is epic and like one big ending for the series with so many great stories tied up. I never played the Omega, Leviathan or Citadel DLC so mostly looking forward to those but yeah, the 3 ending debacle really threw a shadow over the whole game.

The DLC for 2 and 3 are really good, I barely remember it myself so quite looking forward to playing it again. I'm not playing that moon mission in the first one again though, ****ing Mako.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I thought that ME2 was decent enough but the rest of it is pretty shít. It left no lasting impression on me as I can't remember a thing about it which would not be the sign of a good game to me. Don't understand the hype for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Second one’s really good, as it has the smartest, most focused story and a real sense of building a team for a big, dangerous mission - almost like an extravagant heist movie. Could almost be played standalone if you read a quick synopsis of the first.

First one is a mediocre RPG mixed with a bad shooter, and the third was an underwhelming, under-baked disappointment compared to the second.

ME3 has the best gameplay of the trilogy.

It has the best guns of any military shooter, period.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I thought that ME2 was decent enough but the rest of it is pretty shít. It left no lasting impression on me as I can't remember a thing about it which would not be the sign of a good game to me. Don't understand the hype for it at all.

For me it was the characters. It was the first game series I had played at that point where its cast left the kind of emotional connection I'd normally have associated with serial dramas, novels etc. It also felt like a successful cocktail between Star Wars and Star Trek in terms of its "feel". Yeah the moment to moment gameplay wasn't always best in class but personally the game did more for me beyond those metrics

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Never played the dlc got 1 with the batarian stuff or the citadel one for 3

I own the citadel dlc but only bought it years after when on sale and never got around to playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Codemasters has reached agreement with Take-Two and expects sale to complete early next year

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/codemasters-has-reached-agreement-with-take-two-and-expects-sale-to-complete-early-next-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

pixelburp wrote: »
    For me it was the characters.

This. If I'm honest, I don't even recall the ending per se, and even interactions are hard to remember at this stage, but the constant feeling and memories I have for the ME Trilogy was the engagement with the characters. Only a few games made me actually care (compared to thinking I care) about characters, Legacy of Kain series and the recent God of War being the most notable. While it ended flat, the build up to it, the music, everything else far outweighed the bad bits for me, and I really only have good memories of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Thankfully, it seems related to an armed robbery and not some distraught gamer!
    Hope everyone is okay in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Apparently it's not exactly a hostage situation, the employees barricaded themselves on the roof and are stuck there while the gunmen are in the actual building.

But it's a large number of people.

ubisoftdd03c1cd-4749-407c-adca-a34fe790627c_ORIGINAL.jpg?impolicy=crop-resize&x=0&y=0&w=1920&h=1080&width=940

Jaysus, scary stuff. Twitter comments are...... actually as expected :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

a hoax or a bug? :pac:

Alanah's new job is writer at Sony Santa Monica. Good for her!

https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1328498253470392320?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Alanah's new job is writer at Sony Santa Monica. Good for her!

https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1328498253470392320?s=19

Hi everyone. I’m finally allowed to announce my new job... as a video game writer at @SonySantaMonica, who you probably - know - as the studio who make God of War. I am so, SO proud to be a part of this incredible team.

source.gif

Advertisement