Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

Cannot understand why they dropped Titans from the game lore. Its not like they weren't popular. I remember when Apex was coming out people were saying its Titanfall without the titans. So in other words it has nothing to do with Titanfall at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Because apex makes money and people decided they wanted a call of duty instead of the Titanfall 2 aka the best fps game since half life 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As someone who hasn't enjoyed an FPS since Half Life, what makes Titanfall 2 so special? Is it level design, mechanics, story?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The level design is certainly a highlight: it has clever new ideas in most levels to keep things fresh and interesting.

The basic ‘gamefeel’ and mechanics is also a big part of it. Titanfall always felt bloody fantastic in multiplayer, but they confidently took those mechanics - parkour and titan gameplay - into a campaign.

There’s not much to the story, but the ‘friendship’ between the main character and his titan also works surprisingly well.

Can’t forget it’s also gloriously short: around 5-6 hours long, with no time wasted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's basically like Nintendo designed a FPS game. You've gunplay that's a responsive as Call of Duty with some awesome parkour abilities and also a massive robot to control. It feels great. Now when I say it's like a nintendo game it's that you have all these cool abilities and the game keeps throwing interesting and fun setpieces and challenges at you that full explore the mechanics the game gives you. Some of the level design is spectacular and insane. It's a short enough game, about 6 hours, which put a lot of people off but I can tell you as someone trudging through Deathloop I'd take those 6 hours of absolute joy of the whatever deathloop is trying to do.

• Advertisement

Level design was definitely smart, you need to be able to mount an attack on a titan but also you've got players running around trying to kill you. You just can't sit still.

Balance, you'd think a game where someone gets into a titan would be completely unfair and for anyone not in a titan you'd just want to turn it off. Thats not the case, Titans have to watch their backs too.The satisfaction of taking down a titan is great.

Everyone's having fun. In a titan you're enjoying obliterating players and fighting other titans. As a player you're running around taking out other players and also getting that sweet vantage point to take down a Titan.

Remember the grunts too, npc players you can obliterate so even a noob is getting kills.

Now I want to play this game again 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Titanfall 2 is massively overrated, but it is still easily one of the better FPS's in the last decade. The shooting and movement mechanics feel fantastic, both inside and outside the mech. They feel like 2 distinct gameplay experiences but they share a common design so moving between the two feels seamless. The game also has some fantastic set pieces and a surprisingly good story.

In saying all that the player vs human combat on the ground feels very basic, the ground combat guns are fairly uninspired, you are essentially being funneled down a corridor for the entire game and the whole thing last about 4 hours with very little replayability. The standout sequence that most people would point to isn't that revolutionary either, merely just very good.

It is plagued by the same issues that plague most modern FPS's, but does more than most to distract you from them. Your mileage may vary depending on just how jaded you are by the genre.

It's often on sale for comically low prices so the 4 hour thing isn't an issue. I payed full price and had a blast

It was an issue insofar as it ended right as I thought it was getting going, and it left me a bit cold, as much as I enjoyed it. I didn't expect it to be even shorter than their MW games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Id add an entire star to my rating for Titanfall 2 because the campaign is short. One of the smartest things about it.

• Advertisement

4 to 12 hour games are perfect for me and wish more games didn't outstay their welcome.

And doing the same **** over and over in deathloop when I feel I'm done with the game but still have a few hours left is reinforcing that.

That is a problem I have with all timeloop/roguelike games, even the good ones. I was thoroughly enjoing Returnal and Hades but quit them bother after a few hours. I just can't play the exact same thing over and over like that, no matter what little variables they use.

Titanfall 2 was the perfect length imo. Some games just go on and on, looking at you Alien Isolation (absolutely love AI though)..

God, that would have been the perfect 6-8 hour game. So many false endings. I keep dropping it as well as by the 4 hour mark you've seen everything the game has to offer, and while that gameplay loop is amazing it doesn't change up enough to warrant that excessive play time.

I am one of the few that thought Alien Isolation had a great length. I loved the slowly unraveling mystery and the chance to go over every inch of the space station (which is one of my favourite ever settings for any game). I think it was helpful that they broke it up into 4 chunks of No Xenomorph - Xenomorph - Androids/No Xenomorph - Xenomorph AF. I was mentally exhausted at the end of that game which just made it all the more effective.

Would have loved to see what they could have done with a sequel

Goldeneye remaster in limbo due to war in Ukraine. Honestly think the world needs a way to cathartically release their rage on a virtual Russian military.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OTTPALTFORM

What's the point to do this? what's about streaming the game in a ott platform?

Go through this blog about how to run a successful ott platform.

Nintendo are famously reticent to release any game that has anything to do with a current real world conflict/catastrophe.

In this case they don't want to allow the release of a game where they average playthrough will have you killing about 3000 Russian soldiers. I doubt they care much about the lads from France, Cuba and Kazakhstan.

Not sure how this has anything to do with Nintendo considering it's a Microsoft project. The hold up was always the Bond license and not Nintendo.

Saying that, we are still waiting on the advance wars remake.

Nintendo were the ones that blocked it from releasing on the 360, as they published it they still have some part of the rights. They may not be responsible for this delay, but lets be honest, they are the most likely source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Apex is set in the Titanfall universe but years after. If you go back and play Titanfall after playing Apex for a bit you will see lots of the same weapons.

They did say they looked at adding Titans to Apex but couldn't get it to fit the playstyle. Much like the wall running which was also removed.

Yea I think the quote at the time from some Nintendo higher up was that 'There's no way a Nintendo game is releasing on a Microsoft Console'. Hilarious when you think about it, they were as much involved with GoldenEye as they were with half of the games on the Rare Replay collection

Japanese corporate structure. I'd say it was some pencil pusher that hadn't a clue. Pretty sure Nintendo had softened it's stance since the goldeneye thing though as evident with the releases of the dkc games, and rare's games on nintendo and MS consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I always found the 'Titanfall universe' thing with Apex kinda odd, as it doesnt really have anything that the titanfall games have in terms of mechanics.

In reality, they have very little in common apart from the weapony, and various lore / corporation branding in game.

That being said, TF2 is in no way overrated, the game is lean and exact to a fault, and theres still very little in the multiplayer realm that compares to the fun of grappling onto an enemy titan, pulling the power core and then escaping before the electrified gas gets you. Similarly, boxing 2 or 3 titans into a chokepoint, and self destructing to take down the other team is also fantastic fun. Its a pity the whole release travesty happened, who knows what kind of legs the franchise could have had if EA hadn't so badly kneecapped the launch.

In 'Oh Ubisoft' news, Ubisoft will be delisting Assassin's creed liberation. But don't worry if you've already bought it because they are blocking you from downloading your legally bought game as well:

There won't be. Maybe in Europe as I think there's digital goods protection but legally you are basically renting all digital purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I genuinely loved Alien Isolation, so the length of time in it was never an issue. I get why some people found the length frustrating, and yeah I agree they could have gotten away with cutting out certain sections. But not the false endings I think the numerous f*ck everything just went to sh*t moments are pure alien movie franchise gold especially the last one, pretty sure everything after that bit is purely cinematic anyway, but the game needed that last crawl through hell as everything fell apart.

it's what pushed the film up to being my 3rd favourite thing related to the alien universe in any form.

Advertisement